Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 05:48 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,855,614 times

Advertisements

So Iv'e been thinking, Here's a new gun law that I think both sides can come to an agreement on.
How about a Federal Mandate making the prosecution of gun laws mandatory, with mandatory sentences, No more plea bargaining away possession by a felon, Rob a store with a gun, full prosecution of ALL charges, etc.

We may need to sweeten the deal on both sides, maybe CCW reciprocity to help alleviate people accidentally crossing a state line with a CW.
We could role out the new law with a big public info campaign, so no one could claim they didn't know

So what do you say.

bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 05:52 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Democrats would never vote for it since it would disproportionally affect minorities.

I have no problem with harsh sentences for actual criminals, not turning millions of Americans into felons by a swipe of a pen.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:55 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
So Iv'e been thinking, Here's a new gun law that I think both sides can come to an agreement on.
How about a Federal Mandate making the prosecution of gun laws mandatory, with mandatory sentences, No more plea bargaining away possession by a felon, Rob a store with a gun, full prosecution of ALL charges, etc.

We may need to sweeten the deal on both sides, maybe CCW reciprocity to help alleviate people accidentally crossing a state line with a CW.
We could role out the new law with a big public info campaign, so no one could claim they didn't know

So what do you say.

bill
Terrorists don't care about prosecution because they are martyrs.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:46 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Terrorists don't care about prosecution because they are martyrs.
It won't stop terrorists but surely as hell will stop gangbangers! That would save a large portion of people murdered each year.

But I know democrats don't give a crap about saving lives.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:47 PM

5,166 posts, read 4,938,673 times
The NRA used to promote a program called Project Exile. From what I recall, a state that passed laws supporting Project Exile meant that there was no pleas and a minimum five year sentence for using a gun in a crime. I think Virginia had it...seems I recall seeing bill boards along I-95 saying something along the lines of, "Do the crime, do the time...five years mandatory sentence" (or something like that).

Old 06-14-2016, 07:52 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:

So what do you say.

bill

No, each circumstance is individual and different.

Blanket laws catch the innocent too.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:06 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,799,525 times
Quote:

So what do you say.

bill
That'll never fly...makes too much sense.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:09 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
The NRA used to promote a program called Project Exile. From what I recall, a state that passed laws supporting Project Exile meant that there was no pleas and a minimum five year sentence for using a gun in a crime. I think Virginia had it...seems I recall seeing bill boards along I-95 saying something along the lines of, "Do the crime, do the time...five years mandatory sentence" (or something like that).
They still do but their proposal gets shot down by democrats almost every time.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:14 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:

So what do you say.

bill

Put in madatory restorations of 2nd amendment rights for non violent felons after completion of their sentance and I'd go along with it.

There is no reason that people who are deemed safe enough to return to society should be permanently barred from defending themselves and their families.

If they are too dangerous to have a weapon, then they should stay locked up.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:10 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Put in madatory restorations of 2nd amendment rights for non violent felons after completion of their sentance and I'd go along with it.

There is no reason that people who are deemed safe enough to return to society should be permanently barred from defending themselves and their families.

If they are too dangerous to have a weapon, then they should stay locked up.
This is sort of off topic, but I believe that once you have served your time, your record should be cleared. Only for non violent crimes.

You did your time, why should you have a ding on your record that would prevent you from getting a job or housing and contributing to society.

This is one of the main reasons people end up back in prison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies