Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 07:11 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,089,959 times

Advertisements

It has probably been going on forever, but with the 24/7 news cycle it gets more coverage than ever before. As for why, borderline pedophilia to the desire to feel young and or powerful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 07:20 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,815 times
Well, I think there's a difference between something being in the news more and something actually happening more. I guess it's possible that it happens more now, but I also don't know if that's really the case.

Why does it happen? They're attracted to each other. Despite the law, people are attracted to people under 18. The average human starts to become sexually attractive to others with puberty. It's biological and there's a logical evolutionary reason behind it. However, with a combination of civil law and social interaction, most of us tend to still have no desire to actually pursue a sexual relationship with someone so young. A 25 year old is generally always going to be more interested in another 25 year old than a 16 year old, not necessarily because the 16 year old is objectively unattractive to them, but because there are aspects of emotional maturity that the two 25 year olds will share common ground with that a 16 year old would not have developed. That, and being with a 16 year old could get you on the sex offender list, and most people make an effort to avoid that.

When a teacher and a student have sex (I am making a distinction between the teenager consenting and the teenager not consenting; one is objectively rape, the other is simply illegal), it's two people acting on their desires, regardless of gender. Society has a natural bias to think that male teacher and female student is significantly worse than female teacher and male student, though I find that absurd. If it's consensual, neither is overly problematic, though wrong all the same. And for me, it's not the age issue. When I was 16, I can name a few teachers I would happily have plowed and I'm sure it would be a tolerable 5 minutes for the teacher. So while I don't think that consensual relationships between teachers and students should be seen as even comparable to rape or even sexual abuse (since abuse can't be consensual; that just doesn't make sense), there is a breach of trust. A teacher should not being in that sort of a relationship with a student. It's highly unprofessional, it violates the trust of the parents, and it goes against the spirit of education. So while I wouldn't want to destroy a person's future for having consensual relations with a student, it's not something that we should condone or simply act like it's nothing. Something should be done, though at times, I feel what we do is perhaps excessively harsh.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:28 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,084,312 times
I don't know if there's any more or less going on then there ever has been. But the advent of technology, cell phones, social media ect just makes it easier for them to both hook up and provide the evidence that gets them caught.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:26 AM

12,384 posts, read 8,141,466 times
I will just assume that with social media the boys bragging about being with the hot teacher is just coming to the attention of the authorities and thus the public

Old 06-15-2016, 08:52 AM

924 posts, read 751,452 times
The one time I remember this happening when I was in school.....my brother's initial fourth-grade teacher had to resign from her job when it was found out she was in a relationship with one of the high school students. (he was a senior) They got engaged, and 20+ years later, are married and have several kids.

Although I think this situation was a little different from what gets reported in the media, because I recall the boy in question was 18 at the time.......it was an issue of teachers just not getting involved with students in general.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:28 AM

759 posts, read 636,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post

What's the attraction?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I'm just disappointed that none of my women teachers made a pass at me. When I was a senior, I had two cute teachers who were about 23 and I was 18 dating a 25 year old woman. I would have gone out with them.
Hahah... yeah I never got that lucky in high school.

I was fortunate enough though when I was 22 to have a smokin' hot older woman make a pass at me at a bar... and we ended up dating for a couple years. I found out a couple weeks after we met she was 44, which was older than my mom at the time (41.)

The good ole days! LOL

Old 06-15-2016, 09:28 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,084,312 times
Whenever society makes laws that are contradictory to biology and hormones, there is going to be problems with acceptance of those laws.

(Don't get me wrong, I'm certainty not advocating sexual abuse of children.
And this is not meant to be an excuse for those who cannot control themselves, but rather an explination of why these things happen when Mother Nature's laws contradict man's laws)

We are hard wired by eons of evolution to be attracted to young people of the opposite sex, and an age difference of 5 or 10 years or even more does nothing to diminish that attraction, regardless of the law or societal taboos.

Having said that, there is a huge difference between consensual acts with a 17 or 18 year old and a 13 or 14 year old, even if it is consensual.

There is also an obvious societal difference (right or wrong) when the adult is male and the student is female, regardless of consent.

Why we tend to view young male/older female situations less harshly than the opposite would be troublesome if the explanation weren't so glaringly obvious.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:39 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,909,481 times
Because they are horny at work.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:31 AM

3,792 posts, read 2,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I'm just disappointed that none of my women teachers made a pass at me. When I was a senior, I had two cute teachers who were about 23 and I was 18 dating a 25 year old woman. I would have gone out with them.
In my state recently a very attractive teacher got 60 years or something like that for having three affaires with students. What do you call her "victims"?

Old 06-15-2016, 10:43 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,449,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
This is a huge mystery to me. Can anyone explain it?

What's the attraction?

I figure since this is so prevalent that an explanation has developed through the years.
Easy prey. These stupid women are immature and can't get a man their own age, boys are easy prey, they're curious about sex and they are taken advantage of.

It's disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies