Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 12:21 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Every time there is a mass shooting gun nuts think it makes a really big difference what model gun the shooter used, or more importantly, that people who aren't gun nuts don't have encyclopedic knowledge of guns.

Any high capacity sem-auto should be the issue here.
Capacity doesn't make a difference. Very little time difference between using 6 rd magazines and 12 rd. Even tests have shown, a revolver can be fired almost as fast and reloaded as fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 12:22 PM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Stop showing gun violence on TV, movies, video games...

What does Israel do? They deal with this on a daily basis.
And stop using Israel as an example for the love of making sense!

Old 06-15-2016, 12:23 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,274,358 times
Quote:
Every time there is a mass shooting gun nuts think it makes a really big difference what model gun the shooter used, or more importantly, that people who aren't gun nuts don't have encyclopedic knowledge of guns.

Any high capacity sem-auto should be the issue here.
I repped you, when I meant to quote you. Oops.

So my sons' boy scout Ruger 10/22 should be banned? It's a "high capacity" semi-auto. Yes, the model and type of gun does matter.

I agree that sometimes we get picky on terminology that most people don't care about, but there's a good reason we do. Sometimes it doesn't matter, but most time it does because we're trying to explain and you can't explain well without being accurate. The difference between automatic and semi-automatic is a pretty big deal, yet you STILL hear media getting it wrong, so we STILL keep correcting. This time around, I heard some guy on tv saying the AR can shoot 700 rounds per minute. That's sounds pretty f-ing scary, but it's completely and patently untrue.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:25 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I repped you, when I meant to quote you. Oops.

So my sons' boy scout Ruger 10/22 should be banned? It's a "high capacity" semi-auto. Yes, the model and type of gun does matter.

I agree that sometimes we get picky on terminology that most people don't care about, but there's a good reason we do. Sometimes it doesn't matter, but most time it does because we're trying to explain and you can't explain well without being accurate. The difference between automatic and semi-automatic is a pretty big deal, yet you STILL hear media getting it wrong, so we STILL keep correcting. This time around, I heard some guy on tv saying the AR can shoot 700 rounds per minute. That's sounds pretty f-ing scary, but it's completely and patently untrue.

Exactly. The gun would overheat and jam in less than 10 seconds.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:26 PM

50,243 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Ever see a 24 round revolver? Yes, they make them. With a speed loader you can rival any semi-auto handgun.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Exactly. The gun would overheat and jam in less than 10 seconds.
You could heat up your burrito though.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:38 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ever see a 24 round revolver? Yes, they make them. With a speed loader you can rival any semi-auto handgun.
As with everything else (that gun nuts love to ignore) it's a question of degree. No one is talking about banning all guns, and no on thinks that banning some guns will stop all mass shootings. It will make it more difficult, and again..you know that. You just don't care.

Everyone on this board knows that if the killer in Orlando had a pump action shotgun, he would not have been able to kill 49 and injure another 50. Everyone...every gun nut here. The bottom line is, you guys just don't care. You want your toys and your Red Dawn Fantasies, and that's obviously more important to you than anything else, including other peoples lives. And the more common sense people try to talk to you, the more you sink into your paranoia fantasy world where the government is out to get you. It just keeps feeding off itself.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
As with everything else (that gun nuts love to ignore) it's a question of degree. No one is talking about banning all guns, and no on thinks that banning some guns will stop all mass shootings. It will make it more difficult, and again..you know that. You just don't care.

Everyone on this board knows that if the killer in Orlando had a pump action shotgun, he would not have been able to kill 49 and injure another 50. Everyone...every gun nut here. The bottom line is, you guys just don't care. You want your toys and your Red Dawn Fantasies, and that's obviously more important to you than anything else, including other peoples lives. And the more common sense people try to talk to you, the more you sink into your paranoia fantasy world where the government is out to get you. It just keeps feeding off itself.
If you don't think fifty people could be killed with a pump shotgun just unplug your keyboard so you won't be tempted to reply again.

Do you even know what a "ban" involves? No, no you don't. I have "banned" weapons from the first ban. I still got to hunt with them, take them to the range etc. I also went featureless and could legally use 30 round mags, heck 100 mag drums. But if that's what you want, go for it. Gun manufacturers are more clever than you think. They easily got around the last ban to sell ARs and other banned weapons. My SAR8 is simply an HK91 with a sticker over the old work HK91. Bought legally after one of these "bans".

common sense...........lmfao Have at it. You aren't doing anything you really want, window dressing. Believe this, we'll still have our ARs. And, there's not a #$@% thing you and your ilk can do about it either.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:50 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,274,358 times
Quote:

Yes, he damn well could have killed all 49 with a pump action. Every gun nut worth his (or her) salt knows that.

You're the one that said it was about high-capacity semi-autos, and I pointed out that it's not that simple. It's not that I don't care. We all care. But we also don't want to see stupid legislation pass when it won't work.

Even though I've shot the AR, I don't have one. I don't have any Red Dawn fantasies. So you can stop with the comments about "you want your toys". It's this type of generalization that heats up a discussion to the point of argument.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:50 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,044,709 times
It is popular for several reasons.

USA military uses it, so when these guys get out, they buy the rifle that they are use to.

It is the cheapest battle rifle currently in the USA, which can change overnight if people think it will be banned.

The ammunition is cheap, relative to other rifle ammunition.

It is versatile, that is why the military uses it and law enforcement as well.

It is like legos for grown men, you can customize it easily and build your own.

So without going into a pro or anti gun rant, looking at it objectively, it really is easy to see why it is popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies