Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 06:14 PM

57,264 posts, read 26,199,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
When you wipe out an entire village of Natives, you can't actually kill more of them. They're all dead. And again, you're completely missing the point. Mass-murders are vastly less common in America today than they were in the 1800's. Americans aren't killing each other at the same insane rates -- better guns notwithstanding -- that we used to be. I'd say that's a very good thing, wouldn't you?

You did claim that people weren't being massacred in such large numbers in the 1800's. Actually they were and it was happening lot more often than today. It is also quite significant that the mass-murderers of the 1800's were getting awarded Congressional Medals of Honor rather than being shot by the police for their trouble. Also bear in mind that's honestly the best I could do on short notice with nothing but a few Google searches and the like. It is almost certain that many individuals have killed a lot more than 50 people in under three hours with much more primitive weapons on numerous occasions throughout history -- but you try finding that on a Google search. To make matters worse, prior to 1900, history and events weren't always accurately reported.

Underlying Points: The human race has never been more capable of mass-murder than it is today. But ... murder and mass-killing have never been less common in human history than it is today. Fun times, no?
You don't think there are less mass shootings now than back in the 1970's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 06:16 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
As a number or % of population?

Old 06-17-2016, 06:19 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
Not sure I completely understand the question, but numbers look like this:

Murder rates are down. Way, way, way down.

And "mass-shootings" is a somewhat ambiguous term. If a man shoots his three children, his wife and then himself, is that a "mass-shooting"? What if two bystanders get killed by stray fire from a gang war firefight? More than one person died, so is that a mass-shooting? What are the rules to qualify for "mass-shooting" status?

Old 06-17-2016, 06:20 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,839,847 times
Quote:
Stop complaining about semantics, that is the word many veterans use.
It is not semantics. It just proves ignorance of gun and ammunition. When you discuss guns with individuals who are not even schooled about guns enough to know the difference between a magazine and a clip, it is clear that there is no way that the hoplophobic will have an open mind to consider the logical debate regarding gun ownership and protecting 2A rights.

Are you quoting veterans from the Spanish-American War?

Here is a quick lesson for you:

Firearms, ammo, weapons, gear reviews, 2nd Amendment issues, etc...: Clip vs. Magazine: A Lesson in Firearm Terminology

Old 06-17-2016, 06:30 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
It is not semantics. It just proves ignorance of gun and ammunition. When you discuss guns with individuals who are not even schooled about guns enough to know the difference between a magazine and a clip, it is clear that there is no way that the hoplophobic will have an open mind to consider the logical debate regarding gun ownership and protecting 2A rights.

Firearms, ammo, weapons, gear reviews, 2nd Amendment issues, etc...: Clip vs. Magazine: A Lesson in Firearm Terminology
From the age of the board my bet is the early years of the Vietnam War generation who served with senior NCOs who were veterans of Korea and WWII who began their careers with clip fed weapons. The decision and lawmakers working for their public could care less about precise nomenclature but get very angry when lawyers coming after the fact who only care about specific language thwart their intent.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post

Rather long response because I choose to call them clips, this is what passes as intelligent conversation.

Ignorance is not understanding that many veterans use that term, oh but you looked it up in your firearms dictionary LOL

Vietnam veterans use clip by the way, but you wouldn't know that.

Do you have anything intelligent to offer, maybe spelling corrections

Old 06-17-2016, 06:38 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,118,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilletteflare View Post
I don't think many will turn in their AR15s if banned. I doubt they will ban them at least with this congress. After Nov if it all goes to crap and the liberals take it anything is possible. I think if they do a ban they will grandfather in many guns. They may put them under the NFA.
Tomorrow is Saturday. More than 100,000 ARs will be purchased. Plus millions of rounds of 5.56.
Its beyond the comprehension of a typical leftist.
There has been such a frenzy of gun purchases in recent years that any attempt to come down on law-abiding citizens would be bloody.

Last edited by finalmove; 06-17-2016 at 07:04 PM..

Old 06-17-2016, 06:47 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Stop complaining about semantics, that is the word many veterans use.
Most veterans don't say "guns". We were taught "rifles" .]

we had to say, grabbing our rifle and crotch, "this is my rifle, this is my gun, one is for killing, the other for fun." Then you did 50 pushups for calling your M-14 or M-16 a gun.
And that was during Vietnam.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:50 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,225,222 times
Quote:
I said there are "some other guns that go straight through", not the AR-15
The guns go straight through??? Are they thrown like spears?

You know, one basic thing you should understand is that it's the "projectile" that actually causes the damage or makes holes in targets, etc. It isnt the gun!

A .223/5.56 cartridge was originally what's referred to as a "varmint" round, for coyotes and smaller animals. In some states it's illegal to hunt big game with due to not being powerful enough.

There are handguns, single shot, bolt-action, semi-auto and automatic rifles chambered for that round. It has virtually no recoil.

There is so much misinformation and BS being spouted that it's impossible to have a civil intelligent discussion.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Most veterans don't say "guns". We were taught "rifles" .]

we had to say, grabbing our rifle and crotch, "this is my rifle, this is my gun, one is for killing, the other for fun." Then you did 50 pushups for calling your M-14 or M-16 a gun.
And that was during Vietnam.

I remember and was also victim "this is for killing, this is for fun"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies