Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 05:11 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,216,835 times

Advertisements

Normally this would be in another subform, but the AR-15 is undeniably a political hot potato at the moment and the center of focus on the national stage.

I've heard calls from many to ban or confiscate all AR-type weapons. Well, I suppose the Government could pass a law banning the manufacture and sale of the AR-15. I don't know all the legal ins and outs but I suppose that would be doable.

That leaves millions upon millions of AR-15's in private ownership around the country. So then what? I can see the Government asking for a registration of all such weapons, because truthfully, one one knows where they all are. Yes, when you bought your AR at the gun store you filled out the 4473 and included your name and address. So, theoretically, someone can locate this particular rifle. Lets say you bought your gun in 1989. You then sold it to your Uncle Ralph in 1991. He decided he didn't like it after all and traded it to a golfing buddy in 1992, who then sold it at a gun show in 1994 to someone. See the difficulty? So registration would depend upon the honesty/willingness of the population to cooperate. In Blue New York (with their SAFE Act) most folks seem to have just quietly ignored the new law, and Law Enforcement doesn't seem inclined to pursue it to any great degree anyway.

So, that brings up the topic of confiscation (which I'm hearing quite often after the Orlando shooting). Assuming the location of AR-15's was known, how would the Government go about that, and who would carry it out? FBI, Sheriff/Police, BATFE? To be honest, I think a percentage of people would voluntarily turn their guns in (especially if a sufficient monetary reward was offered. I say "sufficient" because I sure wouldn't trade my $1200 rifle for a $100 voucher).

Then you have the "come and take it" crowd, who wouldn't give up their guns without a violent confrontation. If you're talking the entire country, then there may be a significant body count among both civilians and LE. I don't think anybody wants that and I can see the Government actively avoiding anything of that nature - I hope the Democrats do too.

Sooo, anybody care to consult their crystal ball and guess how this is all going to play out? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this will result in more thorough background checks and some other minor changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 05:13 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,438,954 times

Old 06-15-2016, 05:26 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,308 times
I think a large segment of the gun owning population would ignore registration, as I believe many did in both NY and CT. In other cases, people just moved the firearms out of state. If a Federal law is enacted, I think many would just blow it off. Like you said there are millions of sporting rifles out there. The .gov will never get all of them, even with an outright ban. Why they think yet another law will do anything is beyond me. A waste of time, and another infringement on the US Constitution.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:27 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,844 times
Constitutional sheriff's would not enforce it... many policemen would not enforce it...I base this upon firsthand experience during Clintons ban along with California

Very few of us wanted to make felons out of regular citizens...the only time it occurred was when they committed some other crime that brought them under purview of Leo

I have had to awr every one of my black guns...they know I have them
It will be a difficult decision

Lets not let it happen because if it does all constitutional rights can be abridged at the whim of the power of the day...

Old 06-15-2016, 05:29 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,114,371 times
My local sheriff would ignore a confiscation order. He is a staunch defender of 2A. He says that anyone who can legally carry should carry and lowered the price of the class and teaches them himself. I can't see any sheriff in my area doing it, if they want re-elected.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:32 PM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times
If anyone cares to read

The Truth About Assault Weapons

Old 06-15-2016, 05:38 PM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times
As you stated, already been multiple bans and other BS which resulted in nothing really happening. Not many registered and no one had to turn anything in. Not much in confiscations either.

They'll throw the anti crowd a couple of bones to make it look like everything is hunky dory.

Then continue importing as many foreign nationals as possible hoping it won't happen again on their watch. My .02 cents and it's been right every time so far.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:53 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,120,510 times
the folks at the top of the AG crowd want their control of how everyone lives, as long as it's the way the AGers dictate. The simple truth about the AR is that most are in the hands of those that trained with the ARs parent while in the military, and knowing vets aren't going to give up their ARs peacefully while knowing how to use them is a very frightening proposition to the power grabbers. Paranoia you say? Look up VA fiduciaries. "Past analysis has found more than 99 percent of the names listed as mentally defective in the FBI's database came from the VA"

Old 06-15-2016, 06:50 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,072,821 times
Rep Alan Grayson [D] FL who wants Rubio's job said that nobody should own a gun like the AR-15 that CAN SHOOT 700 ROUNDS A MINUTE WITH ONE PULL OF THE TRIGGER.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:55 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,422,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
rep alan grayson [d] fl who wants rubio's job said that nobody should own a gun like the ar-15 that can shoot 700 rounds a minute with one pull of the trigger.
^^^

lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies