Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we have stricter gun-ownership laws?
Yes 114 28.08%
No 292 71.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 08:59 PM

21,582 posts, read 31,049,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
I am not sure if I read that in the article either. Where is these statistics? preferably from a better source than the one you tried to use earlyer, (which was very one sided, and biased)
In Harm's Way: Guns and Kids - washingtonpost.com

Center to Prevent Handgun Violence (broken link)

Just two of many.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:09 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,398,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
wow, rehashing stuff we discussed about 100 pages ago.

Anyone that leaves a loaded gun out and accessible to children are idiots. my gun safe is only accessible by fingerprint, in which only myself and my wife have access to.

now, lets play the statistics out, 35% of homes in America have firearms in them, out of that, 39% knew where the firearms were, and out of 39% that knew that 22% had said they have handled their parents firearms without permission. so a pretty statistically small number of adults are idiots for leaving their guns out, and even fewer % accidentally fired them.

There was a post to some government statistics showing how many children from 2005 to the present were harmed with a firearm. This is just like the toy companies that issue recalls because 12 children out of MILLIONS happened to be stupid and touched a light bulb and got burned.

any adult that leaves there gun out where a child could get it, should be and would be tried for negligence resulting in injury or death.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:11 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,187,037 times
Quote:
You must not only consider the gun owner, as statistics show that acquaintances to the gun owner have, many times, gained access to the weapon without the owner's knowledge.
OK - here is the deal: The Second Amendment is what it is - and it is not going away.

Private / personal ownership of firearms is allowed.

The fastest growing group of citizens applying for, and obtaining CCW permits are women.

And, we are going to continue to see people owning firearms.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
wow, rehashing stuff we discussed about 100 pages ago.

Anyone that leaves a loaded gun out and accessible to children are idiots. my gun safe is only accessible by fingerprint, in which only myself and my wife have access to.

now, lets play the statistics out, 35% of homes in America have firearms in them, out of that, 39% knew where the firearms were, and out of 39% that knew that 22% had said they have handled their parents firearms without permission. so a pretty statistically small number of adults are idiots for leaving their guns out, and even fewer % accidentally fired them.

There was a post to some government statistics showing how many children from 2005 to the present were harmed with a firearm. This is just like the toy companies that issue recalls because 12 children out of MILLIONS happened to be stupid and touched a light bulb and got burned.

any adult that leaves there gun out where a child could get it, should be and would be tried for negligence resulting in injury or death.
The problem is that there is still a percentage of people out there that fail to keep appropriate tabs on their guns, leading to "accidental firing." Even aside from that, as I posted earlier, most of the school shootings were a result of the troubled teens knowing exactly where to go to obtain these weapons - in their parents, guardians or another family member's care.

Sincerest apologies that I haven't had time (nor would I unless I didn't have a job) to read this thread of over 2,000 posts. That just goes to show that there are folks out there who feel the way I do, otherwise gun control wouldn't be a controversial issue.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
OK - here is the deal: The Second Amendment is what it is - and it is not going away.

Private / personal ownership of firearms is allowed.

The fastest growing group of citizens applying for, and obtaining CCW permits are women.

And, we are going to continue to see people owning firearms.
All it takes is one politician to gain support for abolishing personal gun ownership and it can go away. It's not as concrete as one may think.

But thanks for your "matter of fact" opinion, as well as statistics that have nothing to do with our debate.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:07 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,830,490 times
Quote:
All it takes is one politician to gain support for abolishing personal gun ownership and it can go away. It's not as concrete as one may think.

But thanks for your "matter of fact" opinion, as well as statistics that have nothing to do with our debate.
Ummm,it is in the Bill Of Rights... its the second one if it helps at all.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
The problem is that there is still a percentage of people out there that fail to keep appropriate tabs on their guns, leading to "accidental firing." Even aside from that, as I posted earlier, most of the school shootings were a result of the troubled teens knowing exactly where to go to obtain these weapons - in their parents, guardians or another family member's care.

Sincerest apologies that I haven't had time (nor would I unless I didn't have a job) to read this thread of over 2,000 posts. That just goes to show that there are folks out there who feel the way I do, otherwise gun control wouldn't be a controversial issue.
because of a few, you will punish millions?

and as we have posted earlier, all of the school shootings took place in "gun free zones" where a law abiding citizen is not by law, allowed to have a firearm with them, had they been allowed to have a firearm on them, it may have saved lives.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Ummm,it is in the Bill Of Rights... its the second one if it helps at all.
2/3 of congress would need to all vote to repeal in order to ratify our constitution, and you would then have something very reminiscent of prohibition on our hands. That went over well did it not?

Old 05-04-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
because of a few, you will punish millions?

and as we have posted earlier, all of the school shootings took place in "gun free zones" where a law abiding citizen is not by law, allowed to have a firearm with them, had they been allowed to have a firearm on them, it may have saved lives.
So now you want to let middle and high school students carry guns? You're joking, right?

And if you were talking about teachers, you'd be OK with your child's instructors having pistols in their desk drawers?? My gosh, I'm starting to get scared at some of your comments.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:16 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,830,490 times
Quote:
So now you want to let middle and high school students carry guns? You're joking, right?

And if you were talking about teachers, you'd be OK with your child's instructors having pistols in their desk drawers?? My gosh, I'm starting to get scared at some of your comments.
Try to think about this logically.

Schools are 'gun free'.

School shooters know this and hence know there is no-one to stop them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies