Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we have stricter gun-ownership laws?
Yes 114 28.08%
No 292 71.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 08:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times

Advertisements

If someone is attempting to rob me at gunpoint I cannot afford to assume the gun is just for show and the crime will end with robbery. I can only hope it is limited to robbery.

If I have enough warning because I was alert and armed because I was cautious I might be able to convince the robber that this is not a good idea. If I can’t convince him I can then shoot him.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:32 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I guess this is only common in America?
Luckily this type of behaviour is not common in Holland.
TD - frankly, honestly, I don't care what is, or is not, common in Holland.

The fact is, crimes such as car jackings, drive by shootings, home invasions and so on, do occur here in the United States.

I am not going to support any initiative to take away private ownership of firearms merely because "you" don't have firearms in "Holland".

I own firearms - plural. I carry a concealed weapon with me most of the time. Does that mean I'm paranoid? Absolutely not. Does it mean I am a realist? I believe it does. Does it mean I'm cautious? Certainly.

Would I be afraid to use my firearm if necessary? No, I would not. This does not mean however that I'm looking forward to having to use it. I hope that I would never have to use my firearm for protection ever again.

And, there are millions of other Americans who feel the exact same way as I do.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:36 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Originally Posted by GregW
Quote:
If I have enough warning because I was alert and armed because I was cautious I might be able to convince the robber that this is not a good idea. If I can’t convince him I can then shoot him.
Drawing a weapon on an armed robber is generally a bad idea. It will only make him more nervous and they probably don't take any chances so they would fire immediately. Especially when they are coked up on drugs or alcohol.
Or you actually provoke him to shoot, because by drawing a weapon you actually tell him that you don't take him as a serious threat.
When the robber is part of a group he is then forced to kill you, because doing anything less would make him look weak to his gang.

To increase your chances of survival it would be better to just follow his instructions.
Money is only money and you can always earn more, but you only have 1 life.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Drawing a weapon on an armed robber is generally a bad idea. It will only make him more nervous and they probably don't take any chances so they would fire immediately. Especially when they are coked up on drugs or alcohol. Or you actually provoke him to shoot, because by drawing a weapon you actually tell him that you don't take him as a serious threat. When the robber is part of a group he is forced to kill you, because doing anything less would make him look weak to his gang.To increase your chances of survival it would be better to just follow his instructions.Money is only money and you can always earn more, but you only have 1 life.
You never have been in a life threatening situation, have you TD?

Old 05-06-2008, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
You never have been in a life threatening situation, have you TD?
And you base your conclusion on what?
That I am still alive?

Like I said not many people have guns in Holland.
And I never had any trouble when I was in Asia or in other parts of Europe.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
And you base your conclusion on what?That I am still alive?
I base it on the "advice" you offered. Clearly uninformed

Again, we are two different countries. Our nation supports private ownership of firearms. Yours does not.

Our nation will continue to support private ownership of firearms and, the number of firearms in private hands is increasing each and every day.

It is not going to change.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:50 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,078 times
Probably it'd be better to negotiate with the robber; heck, maybe he'd even let you keep your stuff and be a better person because of your conversation with him.

Maybe robbers in holland are nicer guys, just misunderstood.

"...Money is only money and you can always earn more, but you only have 1 life..."

My life and those of my loved ones, are worth more than that of someone who has invaded my home and threatens my family.

I think the saying is: "I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six"

Old 05-06-2008, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by bbkaren
Quote:
My life and those of my loved ones, are worth more than that of someone who has invaded my home and threatens my family.
If they truly wanted to kill you they probably would have done it before they made threats.
Dead people tell no tales.

Besidez, threatening people is a sign of weakness.

Quote:
I base it on the "advice" you offered. Clearly uninformed
Clearly, since I'm not bein' dead and all.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
If they truly wanted to kill you they probably would have done it already. Dead people tell no tales.

Besidez, threatening people is a sign of weakness.
Again, from PERSONAL experience, you don't know what you are talking about.

While killing that intruder who was about to kill my family was not the best day of my life, taking his life, to save my wife and child, is something that I will NEVER regret. NEVER.

With your pacifist mindset however, I cannot expect you to understand this concept. You would have allowed the intruder to kill them rather than defend them.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Again, from PERSONAL experience, you don't know what you are talking about.
So everyone else around the world can only experience what you have experienced?
What about my own experience?
They don't count because they don't conform to yours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies