Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we have stricter gun-ownership laws?
Yes 114 28.08%
No 292 71.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 02:44 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
T Kramer said;

So, in your opinion anyone not a martial artist isn't permitted to defend themselves?
How does your sleeper hold do when the assailant has a gun or knife & KNOWS HOW TO USE THEM? Or what about a small woman or old person? I guess in your view theyre all disposable eh?.

I'm real glad your so confident of your physical abilities, but dont fool yourself. If you come up against an armed person wanting to shoot you your a dead man. Unless you got some of those bullet deflecting braceletts like Wonder Woman did.
Nope, I think that everyone should learn to fight. EVERYONE should be trained to SURVIVE. If you can't fight for your rights, do you really deserve them?

Old 03-03-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Dont try & portray me as something I'm not or put words in my mouth, thank you.

Why not answer my question instead of resorting to immature sensationalist theatrics?

Theres many different figures but a conservative estimate would place the number at a hundred thousand or so instances of law abiding people defending themselves with a firearm. Some data suggests a couple million times a year.

Surely out of all those instances you can provide ONE example of a citizen killing the wrong person or shooting by standers cant you?

Or are all your opinions based on watching television?

The trouble your having is because you are argueing with people who actually experience life in a place that people are armed. We know what we are talking about, its not supposition, we experience it.
Its akin to us telling you why wooden shoes suck.
I've brought up articles before where POLICE had shot homeowners, while doing a raid, only to find that they HAD THE WRONG ADDRESS. And why? Because the homeowner WAS armed.

Too bad he got killed though, eh?

Old 03-03-2008, 03:48 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I've brought up articles before where POLICE had shot homeowners, while doing a raid, only to find that they HAD THE WRONG ADDRESS. And why? Because the homeowner WAS armed.

Too bad he got killed though, eh?
Are you trying to make a point? Do the math.

Look up how many recorded incidents have stopped a crime or saved a life by owning a personal firearm and then compare that number to the percent of accidents committed by the police with the wrong house.

Do the math and then come back and make your point. That really is a stretch of an argument don't you think? If the percentage of that type of accident scares you, please, never step outside your door. You WILL end up dying.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Are you trying to make a point? Do the math.

Look up how many recorded incidents have stopped a crime or saved a life by owning a personal firearm and then compare that number to the percent of accidents committed by the police with the wrong house.

Do the math and then come back and make your point. That really is a stretch of an argument don't you think? If the percentage of that type of accident scares you, please, never step outside your door. You WILL end up dying.
Um...that person was killed inside their home. Wouldn't it be more logical to say to never BE home?

Old 03-03-2008, 04:48 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,414,674 times
Quote:
Um...that person was killed inside their home. Wouldn't it be more logical to say to never BE home?
Nope, now you touch on another thing. I dont think every police officer should be armed I certainly think that in the case you cited the officers should be charged just like any other murderous home invader.

I guess you coulda stopped them cops with a judo chop eh?

Old 03-03-2008, 04:48 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Actually TK - the point is, accidents happen - or, to put it another way, s_it happens. It is unfortunate. BUT, the number of times that what you described is so minimal, it has no bearing on the issue.

I'll keep my gun loaded, and ready to defend my family.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Nope, now you touch on another thing. I dont think every police officer should be armed I certainly think that in the case you cited the officers should be charged just like any other murderous home invader.

I guess you coulda stopped them cops with a judo chop eh?
Maybe I could have. But the point. Disarm everyone, and these little "accidents" won't happen.

Oops--->http://www.lufkindailynews.com/nation/content/shared-gen/ap/National/Washington_Shootings.html (broken link)

Old 03-03-2008, 04:54 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Maybe I could have. But the point. Disarm everyone, and these little "accidents" won't happen.
There is the fallacy in your statement / argument.

You will not / would not be able to "disarm everyone" TM. The criminals would still have guns - the innocent people would not.

You want the innocent people to be put at risk.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:54 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,414,674 times
Quote:
Nope, I think that everyone should learn to fight. EVERYONE should be trained to SURVIVE. If you can't fight for your rights, do you really deserve them?

You must be a child. You cant fight for rights with your hands & if you value your rights you should support gun ownership, its a right. We won this country with guns in civilian hands.
We never coulda beat the british with kung foo do joo.
You will not survive a fight for your rights against a person with a weapon.
I dont care if you knocked a knife out of someones hand. Had they WANTED to hurt or kill you they would have.
I'm a little into martial arts myself, the first rule of self defence fighting is,,,,if you can get away get away. If your instructor taught you that you should stand your ground against a gun if you can escape you should look for better instruction before you get hurt.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:01 PM

It never hurts to fight. All of Israel learns to fight, and fight very well, even WITHOUT weapons.

We can STILL refuse to bow to the government, we might just get shot down by BETTER armed military servicemen, like at Kent State. There is no dishonor in dying for your freedom, the dishonor is living in slavery.

The Africans defeated the British in many battles...even though the British did eventually win, they took heavy losses. And they were mismatched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies