Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we have stricter gun-ownership laws?
Yes 114 28.08%
No 292 71.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 11:04 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,391,107 times

Advertisements

meh..........I bought 2 guns last Saturday,passed a background check,showed my CCW......took them home.I don't care what you argue,I like being able to do that,millions of others do also,hell there were around 75 people in line to get in the show,good luck confiscating all of them.

Yeah,outlaw them and see how many comply,Americans have a different attitude than Europeans,but whatever, different cultures no use slinging mud.Though the Swiss have some lax laws compared to even the USA.

Think I'll hit the range next weekend.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:24 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,460,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
You believe you have the right to ban gun ownership correct? You believe that you are within your right to dictate who can protect themselves and what manner of protection they can use correct?

How strongly do you believe in that right? Completely? Enough to go to war over it? Enough to kill or put your life in danger of being killed to insure your view wins out? Forget relying on some other person to go do your dirty work, no police, no military, but you. Are you willing to make that level of sacrifice if it came down to it?

Well, if you are, then maybe you have an understanding of those who believe in their right to own a firearm and protect themselves. I can promise you, before that day ever comes where they ban and remove our weapons is the day they will have to make that sacrifice to do so.

I would say you are paranoid about your personal safety. SPEAKING REALISTICALLY, how many times in your life do you expect to be assaulted and threatened with a weapon by another American civilian? And if you do have such a great fear of this, probably what I would call an unreasonable fear, I should allow a private interest group that agrees with you about the extent of unreasonable fear of personal assaults to bring about a DANGEROUS and IRRATIONAL PROLIFERATION of HANDGUNS all across America? You're living on another planet, as far as I'm concerned! (And in the meantime, folks who agree with you are making THIS planet a lot more dangerous!)

Old 03-04-2008, 11:29 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
I would say you are paranoid about your personal safety. SPEAKING REALISTICALLY, how many times in your life do you expect to be assaulted and threatened with a weapon by another American civilian? And if you do have such a great fear of this, probably what I would call an unreasonable fear, I should allow a private interest group that agrees with you about the extent of unreasonable fear of personal assaults to bring about a DANGEROUS and IRRATIONAL PROLIFERATION of HANDGUNS all across America? You're living on another planet, as far as I'm concerned!
All it would take is ONE time - and that would be sufficient reason for a person to be armed or otherwise able to protect themselves (as with a taser or spray).

Old 03-04-2008, 11:30 AM

1,330 posts, read 5,093,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
What about the recent Christmas eve murders where a daughter and her boyfriend killed her parents and 4 other family members?
I guess it all depends on what you define under 'having an itchy trigger finger'?
That is not an itchy trigger finger that is premeditated murder. Pick gun up, get in car, drive to house and kill 6 people...that is a pretty long decision making process.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:38 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
That is not an itchy trigger finger that is premeditated murder. Pick gun up, get in car, drive to house and kill 6 people...that is a pretty long decision making process.
You know, some really get very emotional over this issue. For instance, I posed this question to another poster yesterday, and, not only has this poster refused to answer it (via PM), this poster, in his refusal said "sit on your thumb gun lover"! Here was the question:

There is an intruder in your home. This person is seriously threatening the life of your family. This person will not listen to "reason".

You have the means available to stop this person - and it may result in their death.

Would you take such deadly force action to protect your family?

Now, do you see anything even remotely hostile in that question?

Old 03-04-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
I would say you are paranoid about your personal safety. SPEAKING REALISTICALLY, how many times in your life do you expect to be assaulted and threatened with a weapon by another American civilian?
Let's see.
-1 time threatened with a knife as a child. Thankfully the bum wasn't serious.
-As a child I was in an armed robbery and had bullets going past me.
-Sat next to a soon to be murderer in highschool. (stabbed a child) Thankfully I wasn't targeted but he had threatened me before he committed murder.
-Attempted abduction on my 19th birthday. He wasn't expecting me to know how to get out of a choke hold and dump him on his head..
-Attempted carjacking when I was 21. I was carrying a gun in my car, he was carrying a knife. He runs, I keep my car. NM gun laws rock.

I'm 29. Hopefully the rest of my life is quiet and uneventful. If not, so be it.

I'm not afraid of dying. Living a fearful coward is far worse than that.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
You know, some really get very emotional over this issue. For instance, I posed this question to another poster yesterday, and, not only has this poster refused to answer it (via PM), this poster, in his refusal said "sit on your thumb gun lover"! Here was the question:

There is an intruder in your home. This person is seriously threatening the life of your family. This person will not listen to "reason".

You have the means available to stop this person - and it may result in their death.

Would you take such deadly force action to protect your family?

Now, do you see anything even remotely hostile in that question?
No, there is nothing hostile about it IMHO. It is a valid question.

It is amazing how many other threats there are in the world and people are so obsessed with law abiding people owning guns. They don't want to hear of people protecting their family's lives. Give them the drama and let the press feed it to them on a daily basis in half truths and biased media coverage.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
Let's see.
-1 time threatened with a knife as a child. Thankfully the bum wasn't serious.
-As a child I was in an armed robbery and had bullets going past me.
-Sat next to a soon to be murderer in highschool. (stabbed a child) Thankfully I wasn't targeted but he had threatened me before he committed murder.
-Attempted abduction on my 19th birthday. He wasn't expecting me to know how to get out of a choke hold and dump him on his head..
-Attempted carjacking when I was 21. I was carrying a gun in my car, he was carrying a knife. He runs, I keep my car. NM gun laws rock.

I'm 29. Hopefully the rest of my life is quiet and uneventful. If not, so be it.

I'm not afraid of dying. Living a fearful coward is far worse than that.

OK, let's see:
* bum w/ knife, not serious, in no scenario could you (as a child) have protected yourself
* the armed robbery was not against you personally, but you faced gunfire (this incident argues AGAINST more guns in society)
* you knew a person who later committed a crime
* abduction attempt, you reacted successfully w/out a weapon
* carjacking, you chose to use a gun to threaten a robber, as opposed to let the car go and collect on your insurance

I don't see that your experience is the basis for a great clarion call for widespread possession of firearms.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:52 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I wonder if some people would rather die than take the risk of killing somone? I know, all too well, how I would answer this question. I'll let the home invader guess.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:55 PM

I like all the unrealistic and simplistic (black/white) scenarios, which don't prove anything, that gun lovers place on this board. As opposed to addressing the ROOT CAUSES of violence and supporting steps to improve the effectiveness of America's criminal justice and MENTAL HEALTH systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies