Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we have stricter gun-ownership laws?
Yes 114 28.08%
No 292 71.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 06:08 AM

266 posts, read 402,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Tin KnockerThe US legislation (the right to bear arms) is the cause of its problem with guns.
Put lotsa people on a small piece of land and you will end up with conflict, and if guns are available they will be used in the conflicts.

The height of arrogance is to tell others what reality is or is not.
Correction: the height of arrogance is to tell other what reality is and that they should like it that Americans ( or whoever else preaches what reality is) tell them what reality is, while they are waving a gun in my face.
More people have moved from Europe to the US. Not the other way around.
Those people dont care about the gun laws, They care about the money. Which your country has none.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:42 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Originally Posted by small arms
Quote:
More people have moved from Europe to the US.
If more Dutch people moved to the US than that Americans moved to the Netherlands we'd be empty by now.
I bet these Europeans who moved to the US don't care about gun laws since they settle themselves in an uptown neighbourhood guarded by a private security company. The only reason why Europeans move to the US is because CEOs get better pay in the US than in the Netherlands.
Our government is already investigating if they can tax another 30% of the superrich businesspeople who already get millions, so this would just be another reason for them to flock in the USA.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:58 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Put lotsa people on a small piece of land and you will end up with conflict, and if guns are available they will be used in the conflicts.
Not sure what your talking about. The US is not a small piece of land but thats irrelevant. In any group of people there will be conflicts. If guns are unavailable you simply insure that the strong always win.
I'm not lobbying for guns in Holland. Your country is as it is & ours is different. The arrogance you see is brought about by your insolence & refusal to admit you may be wrong in telling the country you turn to in times of crisis that your way is better.
Your way may well be better for you & your right saying that we are involved in wrong things globally. But you neglect to give recognition to the good we do. Nobody, not a single nation on earth gives away more international aid than the US & our citizens. How many folks from Holland gave their lives secureing Americas freedom? How many billions in international aid did it give away last year?

Old 03-12-2008, 08:44 AM

774 posts, read 1,418,877 times
I think we should outlaw private gun ownership like they did in England. Then our violent gun crimes would decrease like theirs did...Oh wait, their crime rates INCREASED FOUR FOLD. Gun ownership is a no-brainer. There are guns in this world since the invention of them centuries ago. No law will make them go away. BAD GUYS DON'T CARE ABOUT ANY LAWS, GUN LAWS INCLUDED. I am a CCW holder from two states and will continue to carry my weapon as long as I can until some misguided politician succeeds in passing some stupid laws that don't work as evidenced by laws enacted in Great Britain, Australia, Canada and a host of others.

Violent crime has decreased in every state that has allowed law abiding citizens to carry concealed weapons. School shootings have been stopped in the past by gun owners. Why doesn't this hit the mainstream media?

Old 03-12-2008, 10:04 AM

418 posts, read 564,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by small arms If more Dutch people moved to the US than that Americans moved to the Netherlands we'd be empty by now.
I bet these Europeans who moved to the US don't care about gun laws since they settle themselves in an uptown neighbourhood guarded by a private security company. The only reason why Europeans move to the US is because CEOs get better pay in the US than in the Netherlands.
Our government is already investigating if they can tax another 30% of the superrich businesspeople who already get millions, so this would just be another reason for them to flock in the USA.
Tricky D, to me the measure of HOW well a nation does is HOW middle class lives... NOT top 0.1%.

In USA, top are getting richer and richer, others are losing out.

CEOs do get better pay in US, but what about poor, middle class? Take account for premiums, childcare, university etc. you'll see they're struggling. More so than in other western nations.

I'm considered high class, and am worse off(financially, quality of life etc.) than my friends back home... even before declining dollar, but especially now. Not only am I worse off,
I also WORKED so much that it has endangered my health. It's a dog-eat-dog attitude here.

Luckily, i didn't get a stroke and try my "great HI". But yes, i have lived in fear of that for some time... HERE, it's better not to know what can happen to you if you get ill, old, disabled. Once you find out, it's a big fear.

As someone said, poor people here are demonized, BUT nobody is willing to take a look at why they are poor, other than "it's their fault".

I think the CRIME here is at leat in part, caused by how the system works.

And yes, ONE should buy a gun here... especially if one lives in Hartford.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:13 AM

74 posts, read 190,989 times
Have you ever been shot or shot at? Yes
Have you ever shot or shot at another person? Yes

Has a close family member or friend been killed as a result of a gun (intentional or accidental)? no
Do you personally know of any children that have been killed as a result of a gun? no
Have you "saved" anyone's life - besides your own - by the use of your gun? Yes
Have you "saved" anyone's life - besides your won - without a gun? Yes
Do you hunt animals as the primary source of your food or for "sport"? I don't hunt, but if I did, it would be for sport
Have a large number of crimes against people (murders, robberies, rapes - NOT property crimes) occurred in your immediate neighborhood, your side of town, where you work? Bank was robbed about 2 months ago, the robbers came and hid in my area
Do you live in an urban, suburban, rural setting? Rural
What are your views on the 2nd amendment and gun ownership? That we have the right to have guns, conceled carry, and to use guns, for food, sport, and self defense
Should ALL felons be prohibited from gun ownership? Yes, they did the crime, now they have to live with their punishment

Old 03-12-2008, 10:19 AM

74 posts, read 190,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamagator54 View Post
I think we should outlaw private gun ownership like they did in England. Then our violent gun crimes would decrease like theirs did...Oh wait, their crime rates INCREASED FOUR FOLD.

what, you mean taking away the law abbiding citizens right to protect themseves didn't work at all?!?! I'm shocked! I mean, how in the heck would one see that comming, unless....

When you take away the law abbiding citizens guns, that means only the criminals have guns.

Think about it

Old 03-12-2008, 02:09 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankidan View Post
When you take away the law abbiding citizens guns, that means only the criminals have guns.

I have another mindless cliche for you, too. Possessing a gun can turn a noncriminal into a criminal, such as the cowardly husbands and boyfriends who use a gun to murder a wife or girlfriend along with the children they have produced together. How is this to be explained? It seems to be an epidemic across America. Are previously noncriminal gun owners control freaks? Paranoid? Phenomenally emotionally insecure? Psychologically unstable? The evidence is in the news almost everyday somewhere in America. The presence of a gun in an unstable domestic relationship makes a bad situation much worse.

Why doesn't the NRA or any nationally affiliated gun owners' group take a public stand against this cowardly cop-out behavior, predominantly carried out by males against females and children?

Old 03-12-2008, 02:11 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
I have another mindless cliche for you, too. Possessing a gun can turn a noncriminal into a criminal, such as the cowardly husbands and boyfriends who use a gun to murder a wife or girlfriend along with the children they have produced together. How is this to be explained? It seems to be an epidemic across America. Are previously noncriminal gun owners control freaks? Paranoid? Phenomenally insecure? Psychologically unstable? The evidence is in the news almost everyday somewhere in America.
Gee - with the millions of gun owners out there, and by reading your posting above, I would be lead to believe that all wives and children are at risk??

LOLOLOLOL

Old 03-12-2008, 02:12 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Gee - with the millions of gun owners out there, and by reading your posting above, I would be lead to believe that all wives and children are at risk??

LOLOLOLOL

Too many of them are. Which newspaper do you read everyday, the Rush Times?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies