Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 08:53 PM

491 posts, read 319,655 times

Advertisements

Once upon a time, the term "RINO" referred to very liberal Republicans such as Colin Powell and Michael Bloomberg who support abortion and sometimes endorse Democrats. This definition of a RINO makes sense.

However, recently the die-hard supporters of Trump have been claiming that committed conservatives like Paul Ryan and Marco Rubio are "RINOs." This really pisses me off, because these same people seem to care less about the fact that their beloved Donald has been on record supporting abortion rights, single-payer health care, and giving money to high-profile Democratic politicians (which are things that "loser RINOs" like Bob Dole and John McCain have never done).

Why do Trump supporters see themselves as uniquely qualified to determine who is and is not a RINO? And just as importantly, could these people please provide me their definition as to what a RINO exactly is? Given that Trump has deviated from right-wing orthodoxy in so many ways, please don't give me any b.s. explanation that a RINO is somebody who isn't a "true conservative."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 08:58 PM

50,796 posts, read 24,310,427 times
I think that the definition of RINO is constantly shifting.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:00 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
The R in RINO is for Republican. Just because someone is Republican doesn't mean they must be a conservative.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:07 PM

26,493 posts, read 15,070,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dole-McCain Republican View Post
Once upon a time, the term "RINO" referred to very liberal Republicans such as Colin Powell and Michael Bloomberg who support abortion and sometimes endorse Democrats. This definition of a RINO makes sense.

However, recently the die-hard supporters of Trump have been claiming that committed conservatives like Paul Ryan and Marco Rubio are "RINOs." This really pisses me off, because these same people seem to care less about the fact that their beloved Donald has been on record supporting abortion rights, single-payer health care, and giving money to high-profile Democratic politicians (which are things that "loser RINOs" like Bob Dole and John McCain have never done).

Why do Trump supporters see themselves as uniquely qualified to determine who is and is not a RINO? And just as importantly, could these people please provide me their definition as to what a RINO exactly is? Given that Trump has deviated from right-wing orthodoxy in so many ways, please don't give me any b.s. explanation that a RINO is somebody who isn't a "true conservative."
Good points.

Also, how do Trump supporters get off calling Kasich a RINO, when Kasich has been a solid Republican for decades, while Trump has been a Republican for a year.

This whole election cycle is such a farce on so many levels. Kasich increased spending on healthcare for poor people in his state *GASP* while lowering overall government spending and balancing an out of whack budget...this makes him a RINO.

Yet Trump who supported many Democrat positions for years is not a RINO, because he can yell the loudest and insult the best!? We have to trust him that he had a miraculous and sincere transformation as he gives Obama a run for his money on the BS meter.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The R in RINO is for Republican. Just because someone is Republican doesn't mean they must be a conservative.
With all due respect, I realize that just because somebody is a Republican doesn't necessary mean that he/she is a conservative. That's why I gave the examples of Colin Powell and Michael Bloomberg as individuals who are liberal yet nominally identify with the GOP.

I obviously can't stand Powell/Bloomberg types, but a bigger gripe that I have is that the Trump supporters are tossing out the "RINO" term to anybody who disagrees with them. This is very upsetting, since there is so little about Trump (other than his stance on illegal immigration) that makes him a conservative. Given his long history of support for Democratic candidates and causes, he is far more of a RINO than Doles, McCains, and Romneys of the world.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:13 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
If you don't wish death on Obama, then you're a RINO.

That pretty much sums it up.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Good points.

Also, how do Trump supporters get off calling Kasich a RINO, when Kasich has been a solid Republican for decades, while Trump has been a Republican for a year.

This whole election cycle is such a farce on so many levels. Kasich increased spending on healthcare for poor people in his state *GASP* while lowering overall government spending and balancing an out of whack budget...this makes him a RINO.

Yet Trump who supported many Democrat positions for years is not a RINO, because he can yell the loudest and insult the best!? We have to trust him that he had a miraculous and sincere transformation as he gives Obama a run for his money on the BS meter.
I couldn't agree more with what you have written. It's sad that so many people are drinking the Trump Kool-Aid while simultaneously trashing good men like Kasich who have spent their entire careers advancing conservative principles.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:18 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
If you don't wish death on Obama, then you're a RINO.

That pretty much sums it up.
If you want the government controlling every aspect of your life, you're a liberal.

If you are a liberal, anybody who wants to control their own lives is a racist.

I just figured I'd play along with your ridiculous game.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If you want the government controlling every aspect of your life, you're a liberal.

If you are a liberal, anybody who wants to control their own lives is a racist.

I just figured I'd play along with your ridiculous game.
That's not a game you're playing. You're using my comment as a cover to express your true feelings.

You believe what you just posted.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:24 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Lightbulb What Makes Somebody a RINO?

In a word:

Rationality
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies