Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2016, 09:23 AM

488 posts, read 1,174,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
-ban sales of new high capacity magazines and semi-automatic rifles
-no confiscation, but reselling of weapons that fall under those categories is illegal and a felony

It's very simple. It won't stop all shootings, but it's something, and will definitely reduce casualties in the long run. Cue the gun nut with his encyclopedic knowledge of this and that...we don't give an F and obviously you don't either. The guy in the Orlando shooting would have had to buy his gun illegally and both he and the person selling to him would be felons. Yes, that is a deterrent.

"Everybody wants to reduce mass shootings" unless it affects their ability to collect deadly toys. Let's say it correctly.
So, once your above "common sense" laws are enacted, you will be satisfied? You won't be back on here after the next mass shooting of unarmed citizens, calling for another "common sense" gun law? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 09:25 AM

19,692 posts, read 10,028,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
-magazines are not serialized. How do you determine which are pre ban and which are post ban? It's not like a 1 to 1 ratio between magazines and each gun. I have at minimum 2 mags for a gun to a maximum of 100 mags for a gun.
-I'll just give them away. Without registration there will be no way to track the sales. If your law goes into effect today I can still sell my gun tomorrow. There is no way the authorities can prove the it took place after the law was in place.
He knows it won't work.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:26 AM

13,507 posts, read 16,984,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
-magazines are not serialized. How do you determine which are pre ban and which are post ban? It's not like a 1 to 1 ratio between magazines and each gun. I have at minimum 2 mags for a gun to a maximum of 100 mags for a gun.
-I'll just give them away. Without registration there will be no way to track the sales. If your law goes into effect today I can still sell my gun tomorrow. There is no way the authorities can prove the it took place after the law was in place.
Do people think about what they type? If someone sells heroin to someone else, they usually don't get arrested after the sale is complete and the buyer is arrested. They get arrested if caught making the sale. Was that part really difficult to comprehend?

Old 06-17-2016, 09:26 AM

50,135 posts, read 46,754,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Explain to us the fundamental difference between a M-14 and any semi auto hunting rifle that shoots .308.... There is a great video on youtube I'm not going to look for. They took what was labeled as an assault rifle and made it look like a hunting rifle, they took the hunting rifle and made it look like an assault rifle. There is no fundamental difference between either gun. You're trying to ban something based on looks instead of function.

Take pistols grips for example, is there any legitimate reason I should no be allowed to have something I feel comfortable with handling a gun? It's like banning modern suspensions in cars because people may drive faster while ignoring the fact it makes responsible drivers better drivers.
You are trying to use logic and your audience includes a foaming at the mouth adolescent that is terrified of what is being displayed on tv. An individual you'll never be able to even have a discussion with.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:28 AM

50,135 posts, read 46,754,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerat View Post
So, once your above "common sense" laws are enacted, you will be satisfied? You won't be back on here after the next mass shooting of unarmed citizens, calling for another "common sense" gun law? Just curious.
You can bet your bank account that these "bans" being tossed around won't stop the next mass shooting. The previous bans sure didn't and what is being talked about now is just more of the same.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerat View Post

As I've stated, I support the right of people to own guns in their home as long as the types of guns are regulated. That position is supported by the constitution and current law..the constitution says "right to bear arms". It doesn't say "guns" . So guess what, you can't own a grenade launcher..why aren't you fighting that battle tooth and nail? It's a wildly despotic imposition on your right to bear arms just as much as a law saying you can't buy a new semi-auto. Why can't I have an artillery piece? This government is tyrannical. In the context of the times, the no-budge position of gun nuts is even more ridiculous.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You are trying to use logic and your audience includes a foaming at the mouth adolescent that is terrified of what is being displayed on tv. An individual you'll never be able to even have a discussion with.

Foaming at the mouth adolescent ...... "their ain't a gawl darn thing YOU GUYS can do about it" guy with the gun fetish calling names. Funny.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:34 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,788,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
As I've stated, I support the right of people to own guns in their home as long as the types of guns are regulated. That position is supported by the constitution and current law..the constitution says "right to bear arms". It doesn't say "guns" . So guess what, you can't own a grenade launcher..why aren't you fighting that battle tooth and nail? It's a wildly despotic imposition on your right to bear arms just as much as a law saying you can't buy a new semi-auto. Why can't I have an artillery piece? This government is tyrannical. In the context of the times, the no-budge position of gun nuts is even more ridiculous.
You can actually have a grenade launcher and an artillery piece.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:36 AM

13,544 posts, read 4,849,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Yeah........ummmm.....No.

No one from any part of the world has a "right" to immigrate to America.

America, on the other hand, has not only the right but a duty to restrict immigration as it sees fit to enure both the safety of it's citizens and our economic well being.
This is not about a right to immigrate, it's about religious freedom. The Constitution does not define what rights the people have. The Constitution defines what powers the government has. The government does not have the power to make laws regarding "establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." If Trump tries to base immigration on a person's religion, I'm sure he will be challenged on constitutional grounds.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
You can actually have a grenade launcher and an artillery piece.

..but you can't buy grenades. I guess you thought that tiny semantic argument would somehow disprove my point? Why do gun nuts think their encyclopedic knowledge of death and destruction somehow super-cedes every argument made in favor of gun control.

I've made the point about tanks and bazookas to my gun nut friends..and they don't have an answer, because there isn't one. The government already places very severe limits on what arms a person can own relative to what is available...far and away above the founders and their muskets.

Time to just admit: you want your toys and they are more important than other peoples lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies