Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 02:55 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
No one changed the federal law, you have always been able to buy a gun.

Your idea of legal is a bit messed up. Apparently murder is legal too until you get caught using your logic.....

If a murderer is never caught, was it illegal?
Laws only clean up the mess, when they have a perp.
Laws only come into play, after the act has been committed, if there is someone to point at.

I cannot just go buy a rifle from a legit government authorized dealer, if I want to go hunting this evening.
I cannot go buy a hand gun from a legit government authorized dealer, when 3 guys in the neighborhood, are making threats towards my family and its going down tonight....

Looks like an infringement on my liberty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 02:57 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
If a murderer is never caught, was it illegal?
Laws only clean up the mess, when they have a perp.
Laws only come into play, after the act has been committed, if there is someone to point at.
If a murderer is never caught, the act of murder was still illegal. That is why charges can brought against someone who commits an illegal act because it is illegal to begin from.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
If a murderer is never caught, the act of murder was still illegal. That is why charges can brought against someone who commits an illegal act because it is illegal to begin from.
It still was not illegal to do. It is illegal to get caught.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:30 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why not require background checks to buy pressure cookers? Pipes? Fertilizer? Etc., etc...
I'm okay with that. Kind of like checking an ID to buy alcohol. A person can voluntarily go through a 'pre-screening" in order to obtain a card to buy guns or explosive components.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I don't need a background check to buy a car? and that isn't even a basic civil right.
I can kill and mame 100's with a car. and some have done exactly that.

But we never hear, of government wanting to ban all cars that go over 10 mph, to prevent death from drunk drivers.

And again, driving and owning a car is not a right, outlined in specific detail in the US Constitutions, Bill of Rights.
Are you advocating background checks or pre-screening in order to purchase a vehicle?

Old 06-21-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Are you advocating background checks or pre-screening in order to purchase a vehicle?

How did anyone come to that conclusion in the context of the conversation, other than to make it personal, is beyond me.

Comparisons are not advocating one way or the other. Only pointing the hypocrisy.
The better conclusion from anyone with common sense, since we all understand which side of the fence I stand on, would have been "Are you advocating no background checks or per-screening to purchase a gun?"

Old 06-21-2016, 03:51 PM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I'm okay with that. Kind of like checking an ID to buy alcohol.
Not really. A background check is far more extensive than just presenting an ID to buy alcohol.

Quote:
A person can voluntarily go through a 'pre-screening" in order to obtain a card to buy guns or explosive components.
And that's valid for how long? They stay clean, apply for pre-screening, get accepted, and then proceed to implement their terrorist attack. That's how easy it would be to defeat such a system.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:02 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,813 times
Quote:
It still was not illegal to do. It is illegal to get caught.
I really don't think you understand how laws work either.....

Old 06-21-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Well the first part is just false, and the second part has happened in the past and can be stopped again just like it was in the past.
The second part (warrant-less wiretapping) could be back and bigger than ever.

Quote:
a vote late on Monday to expand the Federal Bureau of Investigation's authority to use a secretive surveillance order without a warrant to include email metadata and some browsing history information.

The move, made via an amendment to a criminal justice appropriations bill,
Quote:
The amendment would broaden the FBI’s authority to use so-called National Security Letters to include electronic communications transaction records such as time stamps of emails and the emails' senders and recipients
set up vote to expand FBI spying

Old 06-21-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I really don't think you understand how laws work either.....

Laws do not prevent anything. The go after the person responsible after the act. THE LAW!

The only way to prevent laws from being broken, is have a government armed police official, following each and every person, 24/7. Incarceration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies