Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 07:11 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
We went to see The China Syndrome the night before Three Mile Island. I argued with my wife on the way home; she thought that it was just a movie and that accidents, like that, could never happen.

My biggest problem with nuclear is the waste storage problem. Nobody wants it in their backyard and I cannot blame them. I presume that the newer plants have a higher efficiency rating and create less waste; but nobody is talking about how much waste these plants produce or where we will store it. We don't even have safe plans to decommission the old plants that should be decommissioned. You don't just go in there and cut it all up and remove it to the local scrap yard. Many of the older reactors were only suppose to have a twenty year lifespan and then the reactors were supposed to get too brittle. so we just kept relicensing them to keep producing because we don't know how to decommission - great plan.

Many on this thread have stated that this is the way to go. I would like to hear how much it will cost to decommission one plant and where do we store the waste?
In today's numbers figure around $200 Billion. You may want to read about Hanford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 07:39 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
If an earth quake hits and a wind mill goes down, only the power goes out, no contamination no explosion and no radiation.
If a solar panel fails, its the same thing no dire consequence .
The only problem is those invested in nuclear are unhappy, so what.
No birds have died as a result of my wind mill, and it runs daily .
Animals will always defy something and loose like running into windows .

SOME Heavy animal die offs, both over land and in the oceans, had nothing to do with solar or wind , but I suspect that man's interference inadvertently or directly, may have played a part. nuclear waste / oil spills, and mining the ocean, hiding waste .

Last edited by arleigh; 06-19-2016 at 08:41 PM..

Old 06-19-2016, 08:36 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
In today's numbers figure around $200 Billion. You may want to read about Hanford.
But that is part of the legacy of the nuclear industry; lying. Here is one link to your Hanford plant: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanford_Site. We had huge waste tanks that started leaking. Plus our government told the people nothing of the danger of the retention water they released into the Columbia River system from 1944 to 1971. We also know that our government has a history of lying about the danger of radiation: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/20/us...dent.html?_r=0. In the Palomares accident we sent in 1600 to clean up the mess with no safety equipment or instruction and they literally paid the price. Even today the few that are still alive have medical problems and we still do not address their issues.

What has happened with fusion? Years ago we were told that fusion would eventually replace fission. I have yet to see any breakthroughs that point to a bright future.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:52 AM

Quote:
But that is part of the legacy of the nuclear industry; lying. Here is one link to your Hanford plant: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanford_Site. We had huge waste tanks that started leaking. Plus our government told the people nothing of the danger of the retention water they released into the Columbia River system from 1944 to 1971. We also know that our government has a history of lying about the danger of radiation: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/20/us...dent.html?_r=0. In the Palomares accident we sent in 1600 to clean up the mess with no safety equipment or instruction and they literally paid the price. Even today the few that are still alive have medical problems and we still do not address their issues.

What has happened with fusion? Years ago we were told that fusion would eventually replace fission. I have yet to see any breakthroughs that point to a bright future.
In one of my past lives, I worked on a Shoreham study in the 80's. Build wise it could stand up to anything. I worked on redoing the feasibility studies that was independent of LILCO. I worked on the mathematical part and found that no matter how I ran the numbers it should have never been built on Long Island. There was no way to duplicate the 60's study. We figured they were faked or bogus. It looked as if they worked backwards from the answer they wanted to get a feasibility test they wanted. The team I worked on covered evacuation statistics if WCS (worst case scenario) had an issue occurred at the plant and WCS in transporting the spent rods off the site. The problems were not in the design of the plant and not in the design of the transport container. FWIW we were put together via a NYS grant and did studies at a US University able to do such studies and all the other facades related to such a study.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:37 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
In one of my past lives, I worked on a Shoreham study in the 80's. Build wise it could stand up to anything. I worked on redoing the feasibility studies that was independent of LILCO. I worked on the mathematical part and found that no matter how I ran the numbers it should have never been built on Long Island. There was no way to duplicate the 60's study. We figured they were faked or bogus. It looked as if they worked backwards from the answer they wanted to get a feasibility test they wanted. The team I worked on covered evacuation statistics if WCS (worst case scenario) had an issue occurred at the plant and WCS in transporting the spent rods off the site. The problems were not in the design of the plant and not in the design of the transport container. FWIW we were put together via a NYS grant and did studies at a US University able to do such studies and all the other facades related to such a study.
Thank you. That has always been part of the problem. Especially today with the internet; we now know that we cannot trust our own government. There is too much money at stake and too many influence peddlers. Our national news is a joke; they have dumbed down their audience and play for soundbites and ratings. Plus there are six corporations that control 90% of the news and some (at least one) of those corporations have a vested interest in expanding nuclear reactors.

By the way, as far as the design of the transport containers, what state has the facilities to store the spent rods and contaminated soil and water? Our government was trying to build a facility in Nevada; if I remember correctly. However Nevada did not want it in their backyard and many states, even with 'safe' transport containers, did not even want it coming through their states. Where these issues ever resolved?

I am a 30 year retired Teamster. I worked dock, yard and drove. At one time we transported 9,000 pound containers of Cobalt 90. When it was -20 outside those containers used to warm us up (if you stood close). I always wondered how much radiation we were exposed to while we held the contract to transport those containers? I remember one load that came in with boxes of chocolate packed around the one container - I did not think that was a great idea. I was told that the safety standards are not as strict during transport as they are during storage. I don't really know and I have not had any problems because of my 'exposure'. I also do not know how these materials are shipped today?

Old 06-20-2016, 04:16 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,992,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
What do you cosider cheap?
Certainly not 10 ¢/kWh at the busbar.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Here is eia.gov showing a breakdown by state, commercial, residential, etc...

https://www.eia.gov/electricity/mont...m?t=epmt_5_6_a
Those are retail prices of electricity. To my 10¢ you will have to add transmission, ancillary services, distribution, etc. I typically see the cost of power at a plant around 6-8 ¢/kWH.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
hmmm; USS Zumwalt (DDG-1000), Gerald R. Ford (CVN 78), USS Illinois (SSN-786), and USS Washington (SSN-787), are all slated to be placed into service in 2016.

The US has been cranking out nuclear reactors every year.
DDG-1000 is obviously not nuclear and the military of this country never has been cost conscious. There's a reason we talk about "Spending like a drunken sailor."

Old 06-20-2016, 05:43 AM

37,462 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
once again you are missing the real point here, we are talking about new FIXED location power plants on LAND, and NOT a mobile power plant that roams the seas.

beside the nuclear regulatory agency has little control over what the military does.
Is this the first "new nuclear reactor in decades" ???

Old 06-20-2016, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Thank you. That has always been part of the problem. Especially today with the internet; we now know that we cannot trust our own government. There is too much money at stake and too many influence peddlers. Our national news is a joke; they have dumbed down their audience and play for soundbites and ratings. Plus there are six corporations that control 90% of the news and some (at least one) of those corporations have a vested interest in expanding nuclear reactors.

By the way, as far as the design of the transport containers, what state has the facilities to store the spent rods and contaminated soil and water? Our government was trying to build a facility in Nevada; if I remember correctly. However Nevada did not want it in their backyard and many states, even with 'safe' transport containers, did not even want it coming through their states. Where these issues ever resolved?

I am a 30 year retired Teamster. I worked dock, yard and drove. At one time we transported 9,000 pound containers of Cobalt 90. When it was -20 outside those containers used to warm us up (if you stood close). I always wondered how much radiation we were exposed to while we held the contract to transport those containers? I remember one load that came in with boxes of chocolate packed around the one container - I did not think that was a great idea. I was told that the safety standards are not as strict during transport as they are during storage. I don't really know and I have not had any problems because of my 'exposure'. I also do not know how these materials are shipped today?
Don't know. After doing enough of miscellaneous WCS type of studies, Changed fields to be IT related.

FWIW: It's Cobalt 60 and not 90 and one is pretty much around it in one's daily life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobalt-60
CDC Radiation Emergencies | Radioisotope Brief: Cobalt-60 (Co-60)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies