Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 11:36 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,892,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
That's another topic.

A state can institute a universal health care system. I say let a state do it.
It can, but its far easier on a national level because the federal government has bargaining power like no one else. Arent you for 21 year legal age for alcohol? And they threaten to cut public highway funds to states that wanted a more sane legal age (like 18). This was during the Ronald "the God" Reagan. So why not threaten other states if they dont provide health care to their residents just like they did with alcohol?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 11:37 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,008,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
The bold is corect IMO. Too often the right wants to make it seem like taxes and regulation are the ONLY ways to have a prosperous economy but there are many liberal areas that blow that out of the water. Taxes, especially IMO do not stifle economic growth. Regulations can but CA IMO really doesn't have all that many outrageous regulations like the right wants to act like it does.

Depends on the taxes. Taxes have more of a direct impact than regulations do. Capital gains and individual income taxes certainly have a direct effect on the economy. But as with many policies, the market eventually prices in those taxes, the time that takes however is completely dependent on how taxes are required to be paid.

Quote:
California does NOT have the highest poverty rate by state in the country. Southeastern states are more poverty stricken and last I checked Louisiana is the state with the highest poverty rate.

Many California cities have poverty rate issues, however, so do most larger, expensive urban areas today. I lived in Atlanta for many years and it had a poverty rate of about 30%. Even with the high poverty rate, it was prospering as a metro economically.
As with most statistics it depends on how you measure poverty. The Census Bureau monitors this, use the supplemental tables which take into account the local cost of living. Per this measure, California does indeed have the highest poverty rate in the nation, at 23.8%. But at the same time, it also has an enormously high cost of living versus those states in the Southeast, which, when adjusted for the cost of living, puts the "poorest" states - Mississippi and Louisiana - a bit further down on the poverty charts in line with the national average.

Using a broad measure against the national average income is the most commonly cited figures. Doing so would put DC as the most poverty stricken, which does help with your point of urban areas being significantly more poverty stricken (once again, cost of living is not adjusted here).

Old 06-18-2016, 11:39 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,133,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowtreatments View Post
I'm a middle to the right of the road individual. And I really don't understand why California is prospering. Especially with all the left's imposed taxes and regulations. I just don't get it. Though I must admit I have to give credit where credit is due.
Congratulations California!!!

California surpasses France as world's 6th-largest economy

2 words. the climate.

if you take away the Colorado river the farms of kalifornia will disappear in less than 3 months, and then kalifornia will have the economy of less than the 20th largest country.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:41 AM

88,533 posts, read 44,242,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
California does NOT have the highest poverty rate by state in the country.
Yes, it does.

Census Bureau: California still has highest U.S. poverty rate

Old 06-18-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
The strong US dollar is why US state GDPs look better in the first place.
Real GDP accounts for inflation and the value of the dollar. The only actual effect a "strong dollar" has is almost strictly limited to import/export figures. In which case, the comparative rise in the price of our goods worldwide leads to fewer exports, and a higher drag on GDP figures through less offsetting of our imports.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:46 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,892,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Real GDP accounts for inflation and the value of the dollar. The only actual effect a "strong dollar" has is almost strictly limited to import/export figures. In which case, the comparative rise in the price of our goods worldwide leads to fewer exports, and a higher drag on GDP figures through less offsetting of our imports.
No, current dollar GDP fluctuates with the rise and fall of the dollar. That's why the US states rank highly this year compared to previous years.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:47 AM

30,412 posts, read 21,638,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
It can be argued that California's economy succeeds in spite of the excessive taxes and would be larger still in a more business friendly environment.
This^^. But businesses are still moving out. http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/bl...xpansions.html

Old 06-18-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
No, current dollar GDP fluctuates with the rise and fall of the dollar. That's why the US states rank highly this year compared to previous years.

That's why I cite "real" GDP and not current dollar..

If what you were saying were true, GDP would be significantly higher. In reality, real GDP growth has been notably terrible over the past 7-8 years despite a very strong dollar. 0.6% growth is NOT strong by any means, the US historical average is around 2.5% per quarter. How many years since the 2008 recession do you think have posted growth equal or above that amount? Only one, 2010. And the dollar has been fairly strong throughout.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:58 AM

29,757 posts, read 18,623,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowtreatments View Post
I'm a middle to the right of the road individual. And I really don't understand why California is prospering. Especially with all the left's imposed taxes and regulations. I just don't get it. Though I must admit I have to give credit where credit is due.
Congratulations California!!!

California surpasses France as world's 6th-largest economy
Well it's not as left leaning as France. In reality, California has benefitted from great conditions for agriculture and excellent universities for many decades. Silicon Valley has been the greatest driver the last 30 years. Lastly, free thinking liberalism attracts creativity and this is part of the Silicon Valley phenomenon.

After factoring in cost of living, California is pretty average for the USA...the fact that there's 40 million there together with the super productive USA economy are the biggest factors.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:02 PM

46,756 posts, read 25,667,740 times
Well, we could have copied Kansas' success story, right? The Koch's favorite governor turning the state into a laboratory for the wettest of wet free-market dreams. Drastic cuts to business and income taxes, that should make for a nice zoom along the Laffer curve to prosperity and full coffers and... Oh.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...44e_story.html

Yeah, that didn't exactly come out as planned.

I'll take governor Moonbeam any day of the week, thanks. Now, if he could fix the 405/101...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies