Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 03:49 AM

88,994 posts, read 44,793,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
It does work. It works in the rest of the world.
Here's why...
Quote:
"The United States has by far the most progressive income, payroll, wealth and property taxes of any developed country. Scandinavian social democracies like Denmark, Sweden and Norway have quite regressive direct taxes, as do the Netherlands and Switzerland.

...The disparity is even starker when you bring sales taxes into the mix, as VATs are an extremely important source of revenue for most European countries as well as Australia and Canada.

...UC Davis's Peter Lindert has argued in his book "Growing Public" that European social democracies were only able to develop the programs they did because they used efficient consumption taxes that didn't lower growth as much as progressive income taxes, particularly those on capital income. European countries needed tax systems that could raise a lot of money without hurting growth, and only regressive consumption taxes fit the bill.

...Prasad and Deng found that the progressivity of countries' tax codes is negatively correlated with the amount of redistribution they do. In English: The less progressive the [tax] code, the more progressive the system."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ont-have-a-47/

Be sure to read the charts at the link.

Would you be willing to switch the US to a regressive tax system, like those countries have, to fund it? That means flattening the federal income tax rates and implementing a 20-25% VAT to pay for it.

Are you good with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 10:44 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,737,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Are you kidding?

None of them even know the difference between the Bismarck System and the Beveridge System.

The FICA tax for Medicare does not fully fund Medicare, which is why money from the General Fund has to be taken to fund Medicare.

In other words, the first thing that needs to be done is Congress needs to increase the FICA HI (Medicare) tax rate to a level that will allow it to be self-funding.

The Medicare Trustees have begged Congress every single year, since year 2000, to raise the tax rate, and Congress under both the Bush and Obama Administrations has failed or refused to do so.

The Population 65+ is 47,269,000 (see LNU00000097 from BLS).

https://www.cms.gov/research-statist...act-sheet.html

2014 is the latest year of data available and Medicare spending was $618.7 Billion (a 20% increase from 2013).

Total payroll for the US for 2015 was $6.4 TRILLION

The HI payroll tax of 2.9% (1.45% each for employer and employee) has to be increased to 9.6% (4.8% each for employer and employee) in order to fund Medicare at current levels.

In order to cover the other 270 Million Americans would require a hefty increase in the HI payroll tax rate, at least to 18% (9% for employer and employee).
You are about the only other person in this forum that understands this stuff. Lol

Old 06-20-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yep. Like I said, there's a minimum of a 10 year FICA taxpaying waiting period for eligibility for Medicare, PLUS the additional premium costs once one is enrolled in Medicare.
I think I lost most in just explaining the basics. I didn't even get into the details.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:07 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Keep in mind, I've worked in the industry for a long time. Private, state, federal level. From claims to contracting, regulation to transactions, benefit configuration, finance, trend, and data analysis.

Whenever I hear the term, my first question does one mean single payer or coverage for all.

Maybe I can be convinced but how do those that advocate it systematically see it set up? Who administers it? Provider rates? Who sets coverage guidelines?

I could post a long list but either we'll get there or not. I just want to hear how it well 'work'.
Thanks
You are putting the mouse cursor on France/Germany/Israel/Sweden UHC, right click, copy, move the mouse to USA, right click, paste.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:12 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:
Keep in mind, I've worked in the industry for a long time. Private, state, federal level. From claims to contracting, regulation to transactions, benefit configuration, finance, trend, and data analysis.

Whenever I hear the term, my first question does one mean single payer or coverage for all.

Maybe I can be convinced but how do those that advocate it systematically see it set up? Who administers it? Provider rates? Who sets coverage guidelines?

I could post a long list but either we'll get there or not. I just want to hear how it well 'work'.
Thanks
There is no limit to the number of different types of systems that qualify as "Universal Healthcare."

Perhaps you're thinking of single-payer healthcare?

Old 06-20-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
No reason to reinvent the wheel - as far as I'm concerned, the German system is worth a hard look, I was a user for few years. (Some processes could undoubtedly be streamlined, it's a centuries-old system.)

For the basics: Mandatory enrollment, mandatory minimum coverage levels, arranged by law and enacted by regulations. The regulatory body takes input from a larger body with representation from physicians, hospitals, business, labor and pharma. The insurance companies providing the basic are mostly privately held nonprofits and the user can pick between them, although most go with an employer plan - sounds familiar. For employed people, the fee is a fixed percentage of their income. For those living on public means, the municipality will pay. Doctors run their own private practices, hospitals are mostly independent & non-profit, or university hospitals, and they are reimbursed from insurance at fixed, negotiated rates.
re: Municipality paying for public health insurance.

This would really stretch the limits of the American system. I cannot think of any examples of the federal government forcing a municipality to levy taxes and pay for something.

Typically a municipality exists as a sub-entity of state government, so only a state could tell the municipality to fund something. I'm not sure if it would be legal to have the federal government do it.

And that's sort of the problem -- it'd be difficult to make that work, because i think it'd be illegal for the feds to do, and if you left it up to the states, at least half the U.S. states would dig their heels in and refuse to participate on ideological grounds.

Furthermore, the U.S. has big-time wealth/income segregation between cities. Annexation laws aren't very robust. So you'd have some very poor cities where probably 50-80% of the people needed municipally-funded insurance, supported by only a fraction of the population. This would cause sales/property taxes in certain areas to rise far beyond levels that would be reasonable, and cause further declines in poorer areas.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
There is no limit to the number of different types of systems that qualify as "Universal Healthcare."

Perhaps you're thinking of single-payer healthcare?
I started this by asking those who want universal care see its structure. After talking to some and answering some questions, then going for a run, I explained the logistics of converting to a single payer.

Universal care will never be fully achieved unless those who don't enroll are imprisoned, in which case they would get it.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
re: Municipality paying for public health insurance.

This would really stretch the limits of the American system. I cannot think of any examples of the federal government forcing a municipality to levy taxes and pay for something.

Typically a municipality exists as a sub-entity of state government, so only a state could tell the municipality to fund something. I'm not sure if it would be legal to have the federal government do it.

And that's sort of the problem -- it'd be difficult to make that work, because i think it'd be illegal for the feds to do, and if you left it up to the states, at least half the U.S. states would dig their heels in and refuse to participate on ideological grounds.

Furthermore, the U.S. has big-time wealth/income segregation between cities. Annexation laws aren't very robust. So you'd have some very poor cities where probably 50-80% of the people needed municipally-funded insurance, supported by only a fraction of the population. This would cause sales/property taxes in certain areas to rise far beyond levels that would be reasonable, and cause further declines in poorer areas.
That's already been covered.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Universal care will never be fully achieved unless those who don't enroll are imprisoned, in which case they would get it.
This is a ridiculous thing to say. For one you assume one must "enroll."

Quote:
That's already been covered.
Not in this thread, it hasn't.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:33 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,817,146 times
I am for a Medicaid and not Medicare for all.

Medicaid is free with no premiums and serves our poorest citizens currently along with many seniors on Medicare who are in private nursing facilities.

I think we should have a flat sales tax set up in each state to pay for Medicaid for all.

I don't know why the comparison to Medicare is being brought up as IMO that is not a single payer system IMO.

States should be able to set up their system however they want. I think it will boost competition and economic growth between states and make some more attractive to others for business and residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies