Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2008, 02:26 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think they should also be cut off from a life of welfare dependency, food stamps, WIC and housing.

You breed 'em, you feed 'em.
Alright, tough guy. You've made your point. Can we accompany this with expanded sex ed? Widespread condom availability? Plan B contraception?

Old 02-17-2008, 02:26 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
I wonder how many of the cons are deadbeat fathers. Seems like a lot of blame and anger for the women, when as poster after poster keeps pointing out that it takes two to tango. Also, I wonder about all of this support that you are tired of giving to single mothers or even fathers. What dollar amount does the average citizen contribute to welfare? Just curious here.
I'm fortunate enough to be a professional with a college degree, but I have worked with families in housing and in my experience it's usually a traditional family unit that is receiving government assistance. But, regardless of the situation, I just cannot see how someone would choose that life for themselves. I would truthfully be terrified of living in housing with all of the drugs and weapons and I live in a small town. I can't imagine what it's like for those attempting to make a life for their children in a larger city. And you begrudge them food vouchers from WIC? Seriously?
It's easy to sit in your recliners sporting your beer stained shirts while nodding your head yes to whatever the latest report is concerning welfare, but unless you've spent some time in their environment, your condemnation is not valid.

My bet would be none because talking about responsibility and providing for your own is what people are talking about. Why should a hard working family have to pay for the spawn of the irresponsible?

Old 02-17-2008, 02:30 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,120,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
My bet would be none because talking about responsibility and providing for your own is what people are talking about. Why should a hard working family have to pay for the spawn of the irresponsible?
This is confusing to me. Care to futher explain?

Old 02-17-2008, 02:34 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,858,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I sense that some posters hold to the idea that "boys will be boys" and it's women who have the responsibility to put the brakes on sexual activity. I think that men have been getting a free pass in that regard for far too long. An extreme case is women who are stoned to death or otherwise disgraced and punished in Saudi Arabia and other countries for being raped.
What a bizarre point of view. To compare how women are treated in this country to how they are treated in Saudi Arabia.

Women are the ones who can get pregnant and have to carry a child. It is their body. I certainly make sure that I don't have sex with a loser on a one night stand to possibly become impregnated by said loser. Or have sex with some jerk who has shown no interest in marrying me. Or have sex with 5 losers in one month thereby not nowing WHICH loser has impregnated me.

Bringing a kid into the world should (yes I'm making a value judgement here) be done in a marriage situation. It provides the best chance for a safe, stable environment. If your husband is a fine man that falls apart and becomes an addict or abusive and the marriage ends....well you have done your best and you move on. But to start out TAKING THE RISK OF HAVING SEX WITH KNOWN LOSERS WHOM YOU ARE NOT MARRIED TO? This is the stupid single mother that our society has become disgusted with.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Since you know her so well, what would you estimate her gross annual income -- including support payments -- to be?

You think every woman having a child out of wedlock is on welfare??? You're more out of touch with mainstream America than I thought. You're into Dan Quayle complaining about Murphy Brown territory here...
Her boyfriend got a disability check and she lived very well on welfare handouts -- free house, free food, free medical and dental care, free babysitting. They had televisions, video games, cell phones, a car -- what more could they want living off the earnings of others?

If a professional woman has a baby out-of-wedlock that she can afford --- obviously that's not the same thing as those women who will never hold down a job, never be productive except in the maternity ward, and who expect she can just live off government programs all her life.

The single professional woman will at least keep family size down to what she can afford. I don't know when society decided that fathers are not important to a child.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Since you know her so well, what would you estimate her gross annual income -- including support payments -- to be?

You think every woman having a child out of wedlock is on welfare??? You're more out of touch with mainstream America than I thought. You're into Dan Quayle complaining about Murphy Brown territory here...

Dan Quayle was right. It was very selfish and narcisistic for that stupid character Murphy Brown to have a child and pretend it didn't need a father. Boys need fathers. Shocking revelation.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
And that's the problem. As we aim for 400 million people total in the next 25 to 50 years, it's sad to think that most of this will come from the exponential multiplication of LOW LIFE breeding and not the conventional nuclear families where parents are present and teaching their kids good values (though, admittedly, there are good single parents and bad nuclear families). The good nuclear families aren't having as many kids to keep up with all the riff-raff that will replicate what they saw in their dysfunctional homes.
That won't be 400 million in 25 to 50 years -- the population just doubled in less than 50 years from 150 million to over 300 million now. The population moving in is well known for it's extremely high reproductive rates -- and that was back when they had to pay for their children themselves. They're just learning now about how welfare pays them to reproduce.

All the politicians promising the big amnesty are also promising that they can start bringing in all their family members -- and when they realize they can't get a job but will be provided quite a comfortable life on welfare handouts -- just wait -- you'll see a population explosion like we could not have imagined. The population will double in less than 50 years again. More like 600 million to 700 million low estimates.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:41 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
What a bizarre point of view. To compare how women are treated in this country to how they are treated in Saudi Arabia.
Bizarre? Howso. A tad hyperbolic, sure. The idea that men are somehow less to blame for sexual activity because it's "the way they are wired" or something leads to both conclusions, though. I think it's something we should move away from. EVERYONE should be accountable for his or her actions, and a governmental offset for the absence of a second parent is something that stands in for a lack of stability otherwise.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Did you know....

The average welfare recipient has less than 2 children (1.8 is the official number, I believe) and recieves benefits for less than 2 years?

You aren't including the food stamp recipients, the housing subsidy recipients, the WIC recipients. For some reason some people want to claim that cash assistance is the only welfare program when in fact there are many.

I don't think most of were even talking about TANF -- but the many other welfare programs -- foodstamps, WIC, Medicaid, government housing, Head Start, and so on --- and those are not cut off.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Bizarre? Howso. A tad hyperbolic, sure. The idea that men are somehow less to blame for sexual activity because it's "the way they are wired" or something leads to both conclusions, though. I think it's something we should move away from. EVERYONE should be accountable for his or her actions, and a governmental offset for the absence of a second parent is something that stands in for a lack of stability otherwise.
Women have FREEDOM in the US. The don't in Saudi Arabia. Your comparison is indeed bizarre.

Yes, everyone should be accountable for their actions. If a man impregnates a woman he should have to pay child support. A woman is in control of her body, she has much more at stake than forced child support payments. If she is cavalier with this responsibility and has children with a loser she is going to be looked upon as a loser. That is reality. And that the govt must pitch in with OUR tax dollars to offset this stupid womans poor choices is disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies