Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 10:35 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
A single shot 22, with a bolt action is the most dangerous gun ever made.

Slamming a bolt on a rimfire cartridge......
A good quality 22 handgun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 10:54 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I'm all in favor of the 2nd amendment and think it needs to be enforced, but I still have a question as a retort to all of the nonsense I hear from the the people on the other side.

Lots of people say "You don't need an AR-15 and its much different and more dangerous than the weapons that were available when the 2nd amendment was written, however isn't it true that:

A) Back then, pretty much any gun shot wound was almost a death sentence or at minimum a debilitating and life changing wound whereas today most gun shot wounds are taken care of by our miraculous medical skills and technology?

B) Part of the purpose of the 2nd amendment is to be able to retaliate in kind with the weapons that you would likely face in a threat to your personal freedoms, so you would actually need something as powerful as what the "enemy" has in their hands?

Curious to get your thoughts on this to see if I'm totally off base or missing something?
Quote:
The Civil War changed everything, in the power of the people and the states.... and the power of the centralized federal government. The federal government learned first hand how an armed population, was dangerous to the federal government... DUH! that is what the 2nd amendment is all about.

No infringing upon the 2nd amendment, until after the Civil War. Since, it has been rewritten, without amendment.

I'm still trying to figure out, how "people" means Citizens, 21 years or older and non-felons. Did anyone know, we do not become people, unless we are a citizen of the USA, 21 years or older, and never been in trouble with government, or you are no longer a person.

No one knows, in 1876... the US Supreme Court ruled We The People DID NOT have any right to keep & bear arms and the US Constitution doesn't say we the people do.
So, by extension, do you think all civilians should be able to own:
  • Rocket Launchers
  • Claymore Mines
  • Bouncing Betties
  • Hand Grenades
  • F-15 Eagles and F22 Raptors
  • Chain Guns
  • Atomic Weapons

Or do you think the above are outside the intent of the constitution?
If it is within the constitution, why do you think my next door neighbor doesn't have any of the above? Maybe he does? If so, do you think they should be licensed?

Old 06-19-2016, 11:58 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
  • Rocket Launchers
  • Claymore Mines
  • Bouncing Betties
  • Hand Grenades
  • Chain Guns
  • Atomic Weapons

If it is within the constitution, why do you think my next door neighbor doesn't have any of the above? Maybe he does? If so, do you think they should be licensed?
If you can afford it you can have it.....
Why don't you think every country has this stuff?

Old 06-19-2016, 12:05 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Thanks!

Are just any earplugs from Walgreens good enough, or is there specialty ones more recommended?

For new users, I always suggest a pair of earmuffs. Earplugs have their own special procedures to put on properly. You can combine muffs with earplugs if loud noises make you uncomfortable.

For both earplugs and earmuffs, you should use something rated 25-30 db.

G&A Basics: The Science of Hearing Protection - Guns & Ammo

Also try an outdoor range rather than indoor. Gunfire sounds much louder inside.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:22 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
  • Rocket Launchers
  • Claymore Mines
  • Bouncing Betties
  • Hand Grenades
  • Chain Guns
  • Atomic Weapons

Yes, what ever they feel they need to protect themselves, from those with weapons that want to be the bullies. The only obstacle, is money.

Freedom & liberty are not for p*ssies.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:27 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Thanks!

Are just any earplugs from Walgreens good enough, or is there specialty ones more recommended?
Probably, but it depends on your sensitivity to noise. Muffs are better than plugs, and you can use both if you want to. Like any hobby you can spend as little or as much as you want (or can afford). The $10 muffs from Walmart should work fine for most people.

Also if you're going to an indoor range they should have hearing protection you can borrow while there, along with eye protection and renting guns, so you don't have to invest anything before trying it out.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
If you can afford it you can have it.....
Why don't you think every country has this stuff?
Sorry, I don't believe it. Not for a minute do I think there are people living in houses in America with weapons of mass destruction legally right next door - and nobody cares.

And if they care and nothing has been done about it - then that is one for the books. But that's OK because as I said, I don't believe it.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:47 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,019,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Apparently my first thread took on a life of its own (seemingly not so good).

I'll be here until about 1AM ET. 2 hours from now.

Ask away.
Alright I have one for you. Why is it I never see a member of a 1%er motorcycle club open carrying a gun? Here in Phoenix, some of the most notorious MC's have chapters here. I've seen them wearing their patches at rallies and at barbecues, but have never once seen them open carrying a pistol. Part of the code of these biker clubs is that they demand respect. Nothing says, "don't **** with me" better than a holstered gun. Why don't they do that?

Old 06-19-2016, 12:55 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times
Quote:
Sorry, I don't believe it. Not for a minute do I think there are people living in houses in America with weapons of mass destruction legally right next door - and nobody cares.

And if they care and nothing has been done about it - then that is one for the books. But that's OK because as I said, I don't believe it.
It's an ad absurd fallacious argument. Decent "rocket launchers" are tens of thousands on the military contract market. Double that for civilian markets. Chain guns? 500rpm means for every 60 second squeeze you have shot through $150 worth of ammo from a gun that costs around $25,000. Nuclear weapons? You need a reactor, billions of dollars to build, centerfuges, hundreds of millions, uranium, staff, physicists, R&D teams, test beds, etc. There is a reason countries spend decades and billions of dollars to produce their first viable device. No country is going to sell to individuals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
Alright I have one for you. Why is it I never see a member of a 1%er motorcycle club open carrying a gun? Here in Phoenix, some of the most notorious MC's have chapters here. I've seen them wearing their patches at rallies and at barbecues, but have never once seen them open carrying a pistol. Part of the code of these biker clubs is that they demand respect. Nothing says, "don't **** with me" better than a holstered gun. Why don't they do that?
"Felons in possession". Makes it easier for the police to just drive by and grab them.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Yes, what ever they feel they need to protect themselves, from those with weapons that want to be the bullies. The only obstacle, is money.

Freedom & liberty are not for p*ssies.
I know from reading your posts that you are sincere (or if not sincere - at least consistent) in your beliefs.

But the fact that you think that anyone who wants one should have the unfettered and unlimited access to any weapon of any class they want is disturbing. Good luck to you in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
It's an ad absurd fallacious argument...
Apparently not as absurd as you think it is because here in the same thread are at least two posters who believe there should be no limits. And I guess if they ever had the dough they would go get some. IMO, this is exactly why their opinions need to be ignored in the national debate.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 06-19-2016 at 01:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies