Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Elizabeth Warren undergo a DNA test to prove her Native American ancestry?
Yes 22 53.66%
No 19 46.34%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 09:52 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,174,568 times

Advertisements

To the best of my knowledge, a DNA test (at this time) can't determine with absolute accuracy, Indian heritage. That being said, her claim to be an Indian got her oppportunities she otherwise would not of had. If she is not an Indian, that speaks to her character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 12:05 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Family history is a funny thing. Lots of stories about origins can become canon after just a few generations despite having just the barest sliver of fact at their foundation. In my own family, I've uncovered several instances in which the DNA doesn't support the paper records. My maiden surname is shaky just a few generations back, indicating that there may be a problem with paternity beyond my g-grandfather. Who knows? If Elizabeth Warren grew up under the impression that her family had indigenous ancestry only to have it turn out to be untrue, she'll join a huge group of people laboring under the same false impression. Any serious genealogist knows to take claims of Native American ancestry with a grain of salt, but family myths take on a life of their own. As for whether this should be used against Ms. Warren, I think it's a silly way to evaluate her qualifications to be a public official. Her positions on socio-political issues are what's most important in any bid she makes for office, not her family's oral history.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:39 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
If Hillary does choose Elizabeth Warren as her running mate, should she be forced to undergo a DNA to prove her claims to Native American ancestry? I think if she truly believes she's Native American and not lying about it, then she won't be afraid to have her real ancestry revealed.
She no longer claims that there was anything factual about her claims. In large part it is why she will not get chosen. Hillary will have her hands full enough with her own lies.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:42 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
If Hillary does choose Elizabeth Warren as her running mate, should she be forced to undergo a DNA to prove her claims to Native American ancestry? I think if she truly believes she's Native American and not lying about it, then she won't be afraid to have her real ancestry revealed.

Is there something wrong with you?

Old 06-20-2016, 04:44 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Your typical anti-woman conservative right there.^^^

There's your typical liberal with no sense of humor.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:48 AM

57,268 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Yes instead of debating real issues like consumer protection, Dodd-Frank and others let's worry about Warrens ancestry, this is what passes as serious debate. I guess we can get accustomed to a new birther type debate every election, and beyond.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:00 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes instead of debating real issues like consumer protection, Dodd-Frank and others let's worry about Warrens ancestry, this is what passes as serious debate. I guess we can get accustomed to a new birther type debate every election, and beyond.
Can Hillary be trusted is a serious debate. Would it show good decision making if she would pick someone with such an ugly cloud over her head is a serious debate.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:04 AM

57,268 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
To the best of my knowledge, a DNA test (at this time) can't determine with absolute accuracy, Indian heritage. That being said, her claim to be an Indian got her oppportunities she otherwise would not of had. If she is not an Indian, that speaks to her character.

Which opportunities, she claimed she was white on her application to UP, Rutgers and Texas, Harvard is unknown but the selection committee is on record sating they did not know. She also turned down their first offer.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:41 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
Politician submit tax record to prove there are not on the take, what would the reason be for a business man to submit, his goal is to make as much profit as possible, as long as they pay taxes on it, who cares

Old 06-20-2016, 05:56 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,574 times
I think all Elizabeth Warren probably meant was that there was some percentage of Native American in her and her family tree. I don't know why that would be such an incredulous claim if her family has been here for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies