Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support two weeks of mandatory vacation for all full-time workers in the US?
Yes 112 52.83%
No 100 47.17%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 03:20 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Agreed. I don't know why the OP thinks that the value of an individual is determined around how much and to where they choose to travel.
The whole issue of travel appears to be an attempt to insinuate that Americans aren't as cultured, worldly or open as their European contemporaries. Kind of "the dumb Americans just don't get it because they remain sheltered and ignorant in the US."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 03:25 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The whole issue of travel appears to be an attempt to insinuate that Americans aren't as cultured, worldly or open as their European contemporaries. Kind of "the dumb Americans just don't get it because they remain sheltered and ignorant in the US."
I have no idea how "worldly or open" Europeans actually are, although I know that certain groups can be awfully rude to the locals in Thailand. But I do know that Americans who travel internationally have a better perspective on where America really is in terms of world thought and culture.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:34 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,839,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
OK, what is your concept of freedom?
Explain how your freedom makes you happy.

I suspect you do not know what freedom is but go ahead. You may even use google or the dictionary. Tell me about your kind of freedom.

If you are interested I will tell you my definition of freedom.
Freedom is the right to live as I see fit. Free to engage in any kind of employment I choose, whether as an employee of a large corporation, a small business or being a business owner myself.

Freedom is being able to determine what I believe is important to bring me happiness, not having my choice of career or employment mandated by government.

Freedom is being able to change my job or my career or the state I live in because that is what I want to do and no regulations or government oversight can prevent that.

To me freedom is having the ability to pay cash for a car, have the savings necessary to pay for my kids' college educations and to provide for a home in a nice, safe neighborhood.

To me Freedom is being able to secure my future with a robust savings account and investment portfolio so that if I or my husband should lose our jobs, we have 6 months of expenses available to keep us going without the stress and worry of losing our home.

Freedom to me is hoping into the motorhome for a weekend or a week and driving someplace beautiful and relaxing.

Freedom to me is being able to live the life I choose and not having to explain it to anyone else!

Last edited by eye state your name; 06-23-2016 at 04:43 PM..

Old 06-23-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I have no idea how "worldly or open" Europeans actually are, although I know that certain groups can be awfully rude to the locals in Thailand. But I do know that Americans who travel internationally have a better perspective on where America really is in terms of world thought and culture.
Agree completely with your post. Having traveled abroad and worked with people from all over the world, I am more than happy have been born a US citizen and I wouldn't trade it for all the vacation weeks in the world!

Old 06-23-2016, 04:56 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,555,354 times
Quote:
Freedom is the right to live as I see fit. Free to engage in any kind of employment I choose, whether as an employee of a large corporation, a small business or being a business owner myself.

Freedom is being able to determine what I believe is important to bring me happiness, not having my choice of career or employment mandated by government.

Freedom is being able to change my job or my career or the state I live in because that is what I want to do and no regulations or government oversight can prevent that.

To me freedom is having the ability to pay cash for a car, have the savings necessary to pay for my kids' college educations and to provide for a home in a nice, safe neighborhood.

To me Freedom is being able to secure my future with a robust savings account and investment portfolio so that if I or my husband should lose our jobs, we have 6 months of expenses available to keep us going without the stress and worry of losing our home.

Freedom to me is hoping into the motorhome for a weekend or a week and driving someplace beautiful and relaxing.

Freedom to me is being able to live the life I choose and not having to explain it to anyone else!
Do tell us how 2 weeks of vacation changes anything that you posted.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Do tell us how 2 weeks of vacation changes anything that you posted.
It doesn't. That was not the question. The question was do I support MANDATORY GOVERNMENT IMPOSED 2 weeks paid vacation. I do not. The question I was responding to from the OP was a request for my definition of freedom. Your question is a non sequitur to the discussion. Follow the thread.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:34 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,555,354 times
Quote:
It doesn't. That was not the question. The question was do I support MANDATORY GOVERNMENT IMPOSED 2 weeks paid vacation. I do not. The question I was responding to from the OP was a request for my definition of freedom. Your question is a non sequitur to the discussion. Follow the thread.
Since this topic is about 2 weeks vacation, it is indeed on topic. You listed your definition of freedom. How does your definition of freedom change with 2 weeks vacation mandated?

Old 06-23-2016, 05:36 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,415,918 times
Quote:
Since this topic is about 2 weeks vacation, it is indeed on topic. You listed your definition of freedom. How does your definition of freedom change with 2 weeks vacation mandated?

How can you use "mandated" and "freedom" in the same sentence?

Old 06-23-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Non sequitur. Try not to intercede where you are not needed.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
How can you use "mandated" and "freedom" in the same sentence?
The same way they try and use a response to a totally different question as the basis for a non sequitur question.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies