U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 11:49 PM

66,154 posts, read 33,583,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Oh, I see. To you, democracy is a game to be played.

The thread isn't about me, and this isn't a Democracy.
Democracy to me, is Mob Rule and a recipe for revolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 12:46 AM

13,964 posts, read 10,749,411 times
With the political situation being what it currently is, I do believe that the fight for gun rights is a losing battle ultimately, the only real question worthy of consideration is, how long can we hold them off in this war of attrition?

When Hillary Clinton wins the White House, yes I said WHEN, not if, and she stacks the court with Liberals that will reside there for a generation, you'll start to see the more Liberal states emboldened to pass measures that they wouldn't have dreamed of passing under a Conservative court, and the new court will uphold them, slowly but surely hollowing out the Second Amendment piece by piece. If they don't over turn the Heller decision outright, they can make sure that it and the 2A are effectively meaningless...

The only way to stop this, is for Trump to win the presidency and hope he doesn;t appoint his sister to the bench once he gets there...

Yep, Our goose is pretty much cooked...

Old 06-21-2016, 12:55 AM

17,027 posts, read 9,522,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
the term 'reasonable people' keeps coming to mind when I hear the gun debates on tv, in conversation or on public forums.
I think 'reasonable people' would agree that a private citizen does not really need an automatic rifle for hunting. Many hunters do not even use a semi-automatic rifle even though it is legal.
The sticking point is always home defense. I personally do not think private citizens really need fully automatic, high round capacity rifles but there are plenty of people out there who do think they AT LEAST should have access to them even they don't need them.
I have heard the argument 'when the government comes to take......whatever' --- I'll need my guns. Well guess what folks -- if the government 'comes to take' they will 'get' and you won't be able to stop them no matter how many guns you have locked and loaded

Full auto is no longer manufactured outside of for the military and there are few in the public possession.
Many States do not allow them and in those that do you have to jump through many hoops in order to acquire one.
Full auto is not even really an issue at all.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:37 AM

32,685 posts, read 13,815,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
We already had an assault weapons ban. It solved nothing.

And removing ALL semiauto weapons means removing almost every handgun, every AR15 and many other rifles. Not going to happen.
The assault weapons ban in 1994 was a toothless tiger, it was ineffective because there were so many loopholes in the law. If they did it correctly it would have been meaningful but it was watered down legislation.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:43 AM

34,928 posts, read 31,961,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The assault weapons ban in 1994 was a toothless tiger, it was ineffective because there were so many loopholes in the law. If they did it correctly it would have been meaningful but it was watered down legislation.
Every one they've brought up since..... the same. When LE sees it as unconstitutional it may as well not exist because it won't be enforced. They've even gone on record stating they won't enforce it. That is what we've seen in NY, NJ and CN. Only a few isolated cases have been enforced. Something about millions of new felons doesn't digest well.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:11 AM

32,685 posts, read 13,815,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Every one they've brought up since..... the same. When LE sees it as unconstitutional it may as well not exist because it won't be enforced. They've even gone on record stating they won't enforce it. That is what we've seen in NY, NJ and CN. Only a few isolated cases have been enforced. Something about millions of new felons doesn't digest well.
LE has been enforcing the law in NY, I don't want police interpreting the constitution in any shape or form.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:23 AM

34,928 posts, read 31,961,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
LE has been enforcing the law in NY, I don't want police interpreting the constitution in any shape or form.
you know where they are, go get em

NY SAFE Act weapons registry numbers released - NY Daily News

Old 06-21-2016, 07:09 AM

77,908 posts, read 33,252,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
With the political situation being what it currently is, I do believe that the fight for gun rights is a losing battle ultimately, the only real question worthy of consideration is, how long can we hold them off in this war of attrition?

When Hillary Clinton wins the White House, yes I said WHEN, not if, and she stacks the court with Liberals that will reside there for a generation, you'll start to see the more Liberal states emboldened to pass measures that they wouldn't have dreamed of passing under a Conservative court, and the new court will uphold them, slowly but surely hollowing out the Second Amendment piece by piece. If they don't over turn the Heller decision outright, they can make sure that it and the 2A are effectively meaningless...

The only way to stop this, is for Trump to win the presidency and hope he doesn;t appoint his sister to the bench once he gets there...

Yep, Our goose is pretty much cooked...
When and if that ever happens is when states start succeeding and millions of American's no longer remain law abiding citizens.

The only way to actually ban guns in this country is to create something that renders them useless and that isn't going to happen for a long time.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:59 AM

4,180 posts, read 2,474,844 times
Cell phones, cars n alcohol kill more than guns in other than war. Ban em all

Old 06-21-2016, 03:01 PM

13,964 posts, read 10,749,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight

Fair point about the loopholes of the previous AWB, but your conclusion that it would have a more significant impact if those loopholes are/were closed just isn't borne out by the facts.

Rifles, including "Asaault Weapons" which are a subset of rifles and are the only weapons that would be effected by a ban, are used in less than 400 crimes per year according to FBI statistics.

I can post the graphs if you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies