Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 05:55 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Rose the problem is - you are never going to get the illegal guns that are used.
Exactly. Nearly all the guns used in Chicago's shootings are used by those who would never pass a background check due to their criminal activity. So... gun control laws don't work. Chicago is a clear example.

And if they can't import them from Indiana, they'll get them from somewhere else. For example, where do you think heroin comes from? ODs kill more people than firearms:

Really good chart breaking down cause of deaths in the U.S.:

http://media.oregonlive.com/data/ima...86_post-01.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 06:08 AM

1,559 posts, read 2,369,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose88 View Post
I really feel sad to read the news I think the gun availability is the problem
I think it is the lack of parenting "availability" is the problem.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:10 AM

1,559 posts, read 2,369,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose88 View Post
I really feel sad to read the news I think the gun availability is the problem
I think it is the lack of morals, parenting, and guidance "availability" that is the problem.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:15 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Any crime committed with a gun (or threatening/imitating a gun) should be a felony with minimum ten year prison sentence and no parole.

Other than that, the route cause of violence in a place like Chicago is usually poverty. Doing things like raising the minimum wage and encouraging local small enterprise would go a long way to fixing things.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:17 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Blacks and Hispanics have to start giving a damn about members of their own race/ethnicity and start purging their neighborhoods of the violence.

Nothing will change until that happens.
I'd be willing to bet that most of these murderers and victims either don't know their fathers or only have a passing acquaintance with them

Old 06-21-2016, 06:18 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,848,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Chicago has the most mass shootings of any city in the US. In fact, more mass shootings than almost every state.
If that's true, it sounds like there must be a lot of assault weapons used.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:26 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I'd be willing to bet that most of these murderers and victims either don't know their fathers or only have a passing acquaintance with them
More of a problem among Blacks than Hispanics, but yes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legiti..._1940-2014.png

Old 06-21-2016, 06:51 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
You people are really nutty about Chicago lol.

For the millionth time, Chicago, for a big city is actually not all that dangerous of a place. All of the US's biggest cities - Chicago, LA, and NYC have tight gun laws, Chicago's is not the most restrictive.

Chicago's murder rate has been cut in half since it's height between the 1970s and 1990s. It is interesting that back then, you never heard about murder in Chicago.

I really want to know why do you all choose Chicago so much on here. Is it only because of Obama or is there another reason? Chicago does not have bans or outrageous restrictions on guns. If anything, you should be talking about NYC. They have VERY restrictive gun laws and they have a lower murder and general crime rate than Chicago. But I guess that would fly in the face of your "gun laws don't matter when it comes to crime rates."

Personally, I feel the focus so much on Chicago and constant references to "black" people in these sorts of threads are just you all's way of attempting to denigrate black people. Especially since the president is black and came to the White House from Chicago.

When he leaves it will be interesting to see how many "_______ shootings/deaths in Chicago this past weekend" threads you see around here.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:52 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Because, clearly, black lives matter.

City records 300th homicide with 13 over Father's Day weekend

As usual, that gun control is really working wonders in Chicago.
All we have to do is move all of the anti-gun crew in to remove all of the weapons! They already have strict local laws on their side and we know how great laws work to deter criminal activity! I am sure they would be able to freely move through the neighborhoods; spreading love, kisses and rainbows wherever they go!

Old 06-21-2016, 06:54 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
You people are really nutty about Chicago lol.

For the millionth time, Chicago, for a big city is actually not all that dangerous of a place. All of the US's biggest cities - Chicago, LA, and NYC have tight gun laws, Chicago's is not the most restrictive.

Chicago's murder rate has been cut in half since it's height between the 1970s and 1990s. It is interesting that back then, you never heard about murder in Chicago.

I really want to know why do you all choose Chicago so much on here. Is it only because of Obama or is there another reason? Chicago does not have bans or outrageous restrictions on guns. If anything, you should be talking about NYC. They have VERY restrictive gun laws and they have a lower murder and general crime rate than Chicago. But I guess that would fly in the face of your "gun laws don't matter when it comes to crime rates."

Personally, I feel the focus so much on Chicago and constant references to "black" people in these sorts of threads are just you all's way of attempting to denigrate black people. Especially since the president is black and came to the White House from Chicago.

When he leaves it will be interesting to see how many "_______ shootings/deaths in Chicago this past weekend" threads you see around here.
They should be talking about Baltimore. A city with much stricter gun laws than Chicago, but a much higher murder rate, and a city that just had riots last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies