U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 04:16 PM

4,727 posts, read 1,957,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
1938 is not material to 2016. In 38, this was not a job killer. In 2016, it will be.
I bumped up desertdetroiter and oldhag1 because they said the truth better than I could. What it comes down to it the laws of economics don't change. The corporate propagandists have a new way of communicating that people can't turn off. It's television and the biggest corporations are telling the broadcasters what to say.

While I respect your opinion, I must disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Govt ought to butt out of people's agreements.
By your logic Scott Walker shouldn't be able to make collective bargaining illegal.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:40 AM

29,605 posts, read 16,347,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
By your logic Scott Walker shouldn't be able to make collective bargaining illegal.
I have no problem with workers voluntarily organizing amongst themselves. But again, the govt should stay out of it.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I have no problem with workers voluntarily organizing amongst themselves. But again, the govt should stay out of it.
Organizing is not the issue here. He has pushed through a law that prohibits collective bargaining. That makes a union no more than a coffee club.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:55 AM

29,605 posts, read 16,347,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Organizing is not the issue here. He has pushed through a law that prohibits collective bargaining. That makes a union no more than a coffee club.
Well bargaining for wages could certainly be a part of any organizing effort.
So a group of workers could negotiate wages and benefits, or unfortunately be terminated..no problem, and govt should stay out of it.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:05 AM

36,486 posts, read 15,977,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Hell the government workers are not even afforded overtime, if they travel on a Sunday, they have to take that time off (not sure if it's the same time period or not) during work hours. Now are there essential personnel that get overtime, of course...
Not when I worked fore Uncle SAM.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
Forcing employers to pay for overtime is actually likely to create jobs. It will be cheaper to hire additional employees than to pay existing ones overtime.
Just the opposite.

I worked a LOT of overtime.

A trained employee can do MORE then any new hire.

The hiring process itself takes LOTS of time for advertising, background checks, interviews etc.

The training it takes to get new employees takes YEARS to get up to the level of highly trained ones.

Plus it takes time away from the already trained employee to train the new hire, so LESS work gets done.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:19 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,915,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I think business should stay out of the people's gov't.
LOL, great point.

It is ok for companies to spend billions lobbying the gov, but criticism comes when the gov intervenes in business.

Businesses have been using the gov since 1776 to advance their business interest, and there are entire sections of the gov dedicated to business interests, the export import bank for one, the military intervention in Latin America, the $1 trillion bailout, etc.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:32 AM

50,041 posts, read 26,520,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Not when I worked fore Uncle SAM.
When was that? Because on this, Chucksknee is absolutely right. I was a federal employee from '89 to '98, and overtime rules were so strict that even the mention of overtime was practically enough to get you disciplined. Those of us in management KNEW that working overtime was an absolute no-no unless you were either TDY (extremely rare for us at the time), traveling, or your task was absolutely mission essential. That approval had to come from a GS-14 or above in all cases. Even as a GS-12, I couldn't unilaterally approve an employee spending one second more at their desk than what their normal work hours called for.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
When was that? Because on this, Chucksknee is absolutely right. I was a federal employee from '89 to '98, and overtime rules were so strict that even the mention of overtime was practically enough to get you disciplined. Those of us in management KNEW that working overtime was an absolute no-no unless you were either TDY (extremely rare for us at the time), traveling, or your task was absolutely mission essential. That approval had to come from a GS-14 or above in all cases. Even as a GS-12, I couldn't unilaterally approve an employee spending one second more at their desk than what their normal work hours called for.
"When was that?

I retired in Dec. 2006

Because on this, Chucksknee is absolutely right.

I ALWAYS had the option of taking overtime pay OR Comp time ( my boss actually asked why I didn't take overtime instead of Comp Time) even when I traveled on a Friday night or Sunday to be at the site the site Monday morning.

People should NOT make blanket statements when they DON'T know what EVERY Agency allows.

MANY things are NOT government wide.

I did NOT challenge the claim made by Chuck nor do I challenge yours, don't challenge mine because you DON'T weren't there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or