U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 01:52 PM

22,213 posts, read 10,306,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Long ago people came here and learned our habits and way of life.

Today in the PC world we live in and hurting feelings is taboo, We Americans born and bred, must change and conform to the habits and way of life the immigrants bring.

Why the 180 flip?
I don't know what it's like to live on the "Cherokee Nation" (where, on your profile, you say you live). I do know how rednecks act (and you say you are a redneckish on your own bio profile).

But I grew up in small town America and knew my share of rednecks. Some were even relatives. But when and where I grew up, people didn't worry about political correctness BECAUSE WE WERE GENERALLY FAIRLY POLITE TO EACH OTHER...even most of the rednecks. We knew the insurance agent and one of the local doctors were gay, but we treated them with respect and still did business with them. We had an idea of who belonged to which political party, and we could still have decent conversations with them, even about politics. We knew who had been shell shocked during the war, and socialized with them everyday. We knew who belonged to what church, and while we may not have agreed with their beliefs -- even the dentist who was our only Jew or the few Mormons who lived in the birthplace of Mormonism -- we just worked and lived right alongside of them. For all these different types of people...yes, a little gossip here and there...but we didn't try to make them feel left out or that different. Not saying we were perfect, but we were generally behaviorally correct, even though being politically correct was not yet invented.

Then along came Archie Bunker, whose show was supposed to be making light of bigotry and the like, but which seemed to legitimize...to a degree...racist thinking. And Don Rickles taught us it was okay to insult people just for our fun. And Sammy Davis singing "I've Gotta Be Me", taught us that the only really important thing in our world was what we as an individual wanted.

And so now, to right our course back to where we used to be when people behaved themselves better, we legitimize political correctness because we (and especially the type of American who supports the Orange One) still want to say anything to anyone because our feelings are more important than anyone else's.

Don't get me wrong. Even when I was growing up, everything was not good about America, and racism and other forms of bigotry were clearly evident, but not quite so open...at least in my home town. But, we were beginning to learn about the civil rights of those not the same as us.

Your post seems to be implying that hurting the feelings of others is a good thing. It's not. Even dealing with the worst people in the world doesn't require being childish, or petty, or bullying, or descending into the baser instincts. We gain self-respect best when we can learn to respect others and/or deal with them in mature ways. We used to want to improve our government, not tear it down on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 01:55 PM

5,300 posts, read 3,275,538 times
I really like the way France handles immigration. They keep everything in French and let the immigrants fit in. Unfortunately, most of them do not want to fit in and prefer to live in neighborhoods with nothing but immigrants.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
In the beginning the immigrants came with a love for America and respect for our culture. They wanted to blend in .

Now we have illegals coming from Mexico with the intent of taking back the territories that once was theirs. There is no respect only hate for America.

Certain groups feed the hate with division,and tolerance of that hate by immigrants to the extreme. We even witness with our own eyes when Americans are beaten about the head as the illegal immigrants wave the Mexican flag and our police just standing and watching it all. A fourteen year old boy is chased by a mob of illegals and no one to protect him.

We have watched those who hate Americans be lifted up and welcomed by other Americans above their fellow Americans.. that is the greatest divide I have ever witnessed here in America..

We have a leader of this great nation using differences as hate tools and we have hate TV which aims at this divide. Many take this hate message with no question into their hearts and minds and they become what they believe. A hater .

They listen to the hate speech to where they hate Americans who see things differently and who have different solutions to the problems.

Today it is common to use the words racist if one dares say what is the truth about a person or belief that it is wrong. We are being destroyed . A house divided can not stand.
1. No, most immigrants in "the old days" didn't want to blend in. There were the shanty Irish, who stayed in their neighborhoods. There were those who lived in "Little Italy" in most cities. Chinatown. Japantown. German bunds. The Latino gangs that were prevalent as far back as the 1940s.

2. Some groups hate us. You're right. Did you ever think there might be a reason they hate us? Did it ever occur to you that the phrase "the ugly American" was based on something real?

3. No, President Obama hasn't been wielding racism. Some people have, instead, bristled when he speaks out about the feelings that minorities have long had. Because people -- like many on this forum -- want those minorities to shut up and go back into the shadows.

4. Yes, stop the division. Go ahead. You start.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:02 PM

1,166 posts, read 550,656 times
Quote:
Long ago people came here and learned our habits and way of life.

Please explain what "our" habits and way of life are.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:32 PM

36,464 posts, read 16,259,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Holy cow, could you possibly be MORE vague???

Y'all sound like you're taking about the Boogie Man. Who exactly are we talking about here?? Because "immigrant" describes a LOT of different people.

And I know that you know that these "issues" you mention are true of some people in all ethic groups, cultures, and societies, but NOT true of all immigrants.

I said "many" not all. Reading comprehension is essential.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:35 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,151,117 times
Quote:
Americans born and bred, must change and conform to the habits and way of life the immigrants bring.
[citation needed]

Old 06-22-2016, 02:44 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,151,117 times
Quote:
Kidding right... I live in Texas, where illegal immigration has effected us for 40 years or more, not just the last 10. To work here, especially the gravy government jobs here, we all must be fluently bi-lingual, or there is a big communication gap.
Which makes sense considering that Texas was part of a Spanish-speaking country for nearly 150 years, and part of an English-speaking country for 180 years.

Quote:
I cannot call a Mexican a Mexican, or get called a racist. I must now tip toe around Nationality.
Sure you can.

The people who look like idiots are the ones who call Americans, Spaniards, Colombians and Guatemalans "Mexicans."

Old 06-22-2016, 03:30 PM

2,813 posts, read 1,524,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Yes, I know. That's why I asked for clarification. That's also why I acknowledged that "I know you know," yet you choose to be incredibly vague.

Quote:
Reading comprehension is essential.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
If reading comprehension is going to be essential, how about punctuation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or