U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 02:42 PM

4,899 posts, read 2,710,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
No surprise... UCI (and Irvine) has become an activist hot spot due to changes in the demographics over the past 30 years, and I'm sure Milo's opinions on "the group that must not be named" doesn't help.

In example, students protested a group watching a pro IDF film from Israel just a few weeks ago.

Anti-Israel protesters disrupt Israeli movie screening at UC Irvine - The Orange County Register

To be fair, the administration has condemned this although not sure if any suspensions will happen and the group involved are denying any wrong doing.

The first time I was even aware of this kind of activism at UCI, was a while back when I watched students making anti Israel posters while having lunch outdoors at the entertainment plaza across from the campus, and the group seemed pretty agitated. Of course it was their right to make the posters and yada yada, but it made me feel uneasy.
Progressives and BDS are 2 sides of the same ugly. freedom of speech ONLY applies to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 02:45 PM

20,392 posts, read 9,940,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Sadly with no pole of his own, he will go hungry again after eating the ample bounty of fish you have provided.
This made me laugh.

Sorry, but I had visions of one of my sons standing in front of an open refrigerator saying, "Do we have mustard?" "Yes, it's in there." "Well, I don't see it." (still standing and looking) "Look around." "I am!"

He didn't want to do any heavy lifting by leaning forward and actually moving items around until he found it. He'd just stand there questioning me until I went over and moved things. That only worked twice, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
They don't do any research, just believe what they have been told in their propaganda emails.

LMAO....That goalpost looks great out in the parking lot!!

That was too easy lol

You folks do know this kind of news generally doesn't hit the big outlets when it comes to news, right? And most small local outlets have too much news to report to really cover this, too. If these kinds of things got more coverage, don't you think more of you would know that this has been going on for a long time across the country?

Old 06-22-2016, 03:09 PM

8,509 posts, read 8,849,599 times
It has been going on and is so hypocritical, they are so afraid of offending fringe groups. The muslim student union to name the most vocal - who just concluded the "anti-zionist week" at UCI, and mounted the protests.

The college republicans should have gotten a warning for the insurance issue or probation, but banning events for a year is insane. First they make you hire security for exorbitant fees then they dont do anything! Stand around and watch is about it.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:16 PM

14,298 posts, read 8,091,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyogaH View Post
The school decided to punish the College Republicans after they discovered they were planning another Milo Yiannpolous speaking event by finding the smallest loophole they could manage to suspend the club for a year. The loophole being uncompleted proof of insurance for the private security at this event, which they brought to the attention of the College Republicans the night before so they didn't have enough time to get the paperwork filled out and submitted before the event. Its like when you see the bad guy in a movie sabotage a rival's car before the race.

Here's an excerpt from the email sent to the VP of UCI College Republicans from the administration:

"not only is CRUCI suspended for the concluded Spring 2016 quarter, but the next three quarters as well (a full academic year at UCI). The cited reason is that CRUCI failed to provide a certificate of insurance for the private security hired for the event to protect Yiannopoulos. Contrary to the statement released by UCI, the news reports are accurate, CRUCI is suspended for a whole year from booking rooms for meetings and or events, effectively rendering the club obsolete in purpose. This suspension means that CRUCI can no longer hold meetings, can no longer reserve rooms for or plan events, and as those are the only functions of the club it means that CRUCI can effectively no longer function as a club on campus in any capacity."

This is nothing less than a flimsy excuse to attack the UCI College Republicans in effort to silence them and dismantle their club.

College Republicans suspended by UC Irvine after hosting Milo
I love this pull quote: "CRUCI failed to provide a certificate of insurance for the private security hired for the event to protect Yiannopoulos." So the liberal students on campus are so intolerant and violent, that the school fears for the safety of their guest speaker?

This is right up there with a school banning students from wearing t-shirts with the US flag on them, because the school was afraid for the safety of the students wearing such a shirt.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:38 PM

20,392 posts, read 9,940,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
I love this pull quote: "CRUCI failed to provide a certificate of insurance for the private security hired for the event to protect Yiannopoulos." So the liberal students on campus are so intolerant and violent, that the school fears for the safety of their guest speaker?

This is right up there with a school banning students from wearing t-shirts with the US flag on them, because the school was afraid for the safety of the students wearing such a shirt.
Yep - smoke and mirrors. As some articles have pointed out, other events didn't provide a certificate of insurance either - with no repercussions.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:11 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,845,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
This made me laugh.

Sorry, but I had visions of one of my sons standing in front of an open refrigerator saying, "Do we have mustard?" "Yes, it's in there." "Well, I don't see it." (still standing and looking) "Look around." "I am!"

He didn't want to do any heavy lifting by leaning forward and actually moving items around until he found it. He'd just stand there questioning me until I went over and moved things. That only worked twice, however.
Even more funny is that undoubtedly he is the poster child for what we are seeing here.
A product of a "higher education", yet still unable to do basic research and use critical thinking...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies