U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2016, 05:53 PM

24,045 posts, read 11,953,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
They actually are.

You should be able to have a society that allows private gun ownership while still having common sense things like comprehensive background checks, not having high-capacity firearms, and not letting people considered dangerous enough not to be allowed on an airplane being allowed to buy guns.

The truth is that more guns amongst the general populace will not make this society safer; they will make it more dangerous. You may have a better chance of people at the bar or school having a firearm and using it to dispatch an attacker, but it will be far outweighed by the sheer quantitative factor of more people from all backgrounds with easy access to firearms walking around everywhere with loaded weapons. It just won't work the way it's advertised.

Living with constant fear and acceptance of death of our young people in schools and such for the sake of some obtuse allegiance to a very outmoded, fanatical reading of the Second Amendment is a fairly stupid tradeoff to make, but that's where we are.
And the term "common sense" just reared its head. As repeatedly stated gun control advocates are devoid of common sense when it's related to firearms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 05:56 PM

10,866 posts, read 11,941,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
The Republicans won't listen to a reasonable gun restriction. They get what they've given the last 8 years. Obstruction....
Just like how the Democrats listened about Obamacare, right?

Old 06-22-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Probably because they are responsible for hundreds of innocent people being gunned down every year doing things that shouldn't be considered dangerous, like going to a movie or school or a night club. But we can't talk about that.
Huh? So an inanimate hunk of wood and steel is responsible for going berserk.

Interesting.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post

Interesting.
I just looked out my front window and saw a pack of wild guns running down the street. They looked like they were up to no good.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:02 PM

15,366 posts, read 5,720,481 times
Quote:

Interesting.
It's not the inanimate hunks of wood, it's the deranged people who are allowed to own them. But I know, I know, MUST NOT BE INFRINGED, even for the mentally ill or those on terrorist watch lists.

So I guess we just have to accept that we live in a country where deranged people must always be allowed their guns, and just wait for the next mass shooting.

Which should be along any day now.

No big deal. That's just life in America.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:06 PM

66,552 posts, read 33,830,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Your cousin only has ONE rifle? I'm shocked!

On the other hand, I agree with you that there should be national laws regarding arms; it should not be a state issue.

The second amendment should apply to every single citizen of the country.

It is federal laws that are keeping me from being able to purchase a rifle immediately to hunt that day. It is also federal law, that we cannot purchase across state lines.
It would be easy to ask Kansas for the privilege to hunt, from out of state, just more costly, than if I was a resident.

The second amendment clearly says, PEOPLE. There is a reason it does not say The right of the citizens, 21 years or older, who are non-felons.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:06 PM

79,318 posts, read 33,653,273 times
Quote:
It's not the inanimate hunks of wood, it's the deranged people who are allowed to own them. But I know, I know, MUST NOT BE INFRINGED, even for the mentally ill or those on terrorist watch lists.
We can keep guns out of the hands of individuals NOW through due process. Secretive lists are counter to due process.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:

So I guess we just have to accept that we live in a country where deranged people must always be allowed their guns, and just wait for the next mass shooting.

Here is a thought, don't let in people who can spawn fools like the Orlando shooter of the San Bernardino shooters.

As for the home grown nuts, just one concealed carry permit holder could have taken them down. But if you are that terrified, lock yourself in your house and don't go out.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:

So, should we start taking cars away from everyone because there a few drunks out there that decide it's a good idea to get hammered and go out and kill people? Somehow I doubt you would be on board with that. I guess we just have to accept that we live in a country where deranged people must always be allowed their cars, and just wait for the next drunk diving, speeding, illegal racing, reckless driving, etc death to occur.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:19 PM

15,366 posts, read 5,720,481 times
Quote:
Here is a thought, don't let in people who can spawn fools like the Orlando shooter of the San Bernardino shooters.
So now you want to selectively keep out people who you think might "spawn" shooters. Even though many of the shooters are home grown Americans.

Stupidity like this is why we cannot have a reasonable conversation about guns. Because these are the inane kinds of responses you get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
So, should we start taking cars away from everyone because there a few drunks out there that decide it's a good idea to get hammered and go out and kill people? Somehow I doubt you would be on board with that. I guess we just have to accept that we live in a country where deranged people must always be allowed their cars, and just wait for the next drunk diving, speeding, illegal racing, reckless driving, etc death to occur.
And yet another stupid response. Yes, because the purpose of a car is to kill people. Inanity at its finest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies