Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2016, 05:00 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,150,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Well, as soon as one walks into a school or a nightclub and mows down scores of people with some box cutters I'm sure Congress will get right on it.

Stupid responses like this are part of the reason we are not allowed to even have a discussion about the never ending mass shootings in this country. We're supposed to simply say, oh, well, nothing we can do about it, and go on our way.

I'm glad the Democrats are finally saying enough.
We have had many discussions. Just not the right ones.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:00 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,581,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I saw that. It seems rather childish, although I do recall when 'sit ins' were a popular form of protest. Indeed, I guess Mr. Lewis, being one of the last of the 'old time' Civil Rights Movement protestors left alive, took part in a fair number of sit-ins at lunch counters and such, and that is why he is doing this.

However, I am against such antics in the United States House of Representatives. I also read that Senator Chris Martin went onto the House floor to join in. I was against it when Rafael Edward Cruz, Canadian Senator from Texas, went onto the House floor to agitate for closing the government, and I am against it now. Mr. Martin should sit on his own floor, in the Senate.

However, Mr. Ryan should have let C-Span continue to televise the House floor. That is what it is for. Let people see what the Democrats are doing.

What do we expect from a bunch of anti-Veitnam, bongo & tambourine cumbiya circle jerkers.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:01 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,063,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Yes, the continual terrorist attacks are a huge problem. Unfortunately, Mullah Obama and his lemminglike followers refuse to even acknowledge the problem, much less address it.
Dylann Roof was not a terrorist. Adam Lanza was not a terrorist. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold were not terrorists. But we also aren't allowed to talk about keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill. How should we have stopped them?

Old 06-22-2016, 05:03 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,638,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
They are being petulant, spoiled brats. Just like their voters.
Just like the republicans in 2008. Just like 'Green Eggs and Ham'. Just like "you lie!". Just like their voters.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:06 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,947,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Just like the republicans in 2008. Just like 'Green Eggs and Ham'. Just like "you lie!". Just like their voters.
A filibuster is not a sit-in. You need to take a civics course.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post

Comprehensive background checks: We already have them. More than we need, actually.
If the results from a background check don't come back within three days, the person applying for the weapon gets it.

If the background check comes back on day four, the person already has the gun...oh, well!

Doesn't sound very comprehensive, does it.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post

Hmm, as gun ownership and concealed carry have gone up, violent crime has gone down. We're at nearly historic lows now, and more people are carrying firearms than at any time since the 1800s. So, yeah, apparently more guns does lead to a safer society. Perhaps you should study psychology and/or history to figure out why that is.

No need to figure anything out.

Those statistics have more to do with demographics than gun ownership.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:10 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,550,537 times
Quote:
So what are your ideas to stop the continual mass shootings? Or do you feel that everything is just fine the way it is and there is no need to do anything?
how about terror lists with criteria and due process?

you make it sound as though some ambiguous law is going to stop criminals.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:12 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,881,317 times
Default Fair play is good.

Quote:
Democrats literally sat down on the floor of the House chamber on Wednesday, forcing the House into a temporary recess, as part of an effort to compel Republican leadership to vote on gun control legislation.

Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.), a civil rights leader who led sit ins in the '60s, berated Congress for its continued inaction in the wake of the continuous mass shootings across the country.

Democrats Stage Sit-In On House Floor Over Gun Bills

Following his speech he informed Ryan that he was going to take a seat. Then he did so, sitting down on the floor. And dozens of Democrats joined him.

Republicans promptly gaveled the House into a temporary recess and ordered C-SPAN to turn off the cameras so Americans couldn't see the action taking place in the House. When Republicans attempted to reconvene a short while ago, Democrats remained seated on the floor, and Ryan was forced to call another recess.

And so it remains right now.
The purple Pill Martini Woman Nancy Polse and Harry read did the same to the Republicans in the day!

I find it interesting. I wonder if they will send out for Pizza?

Old 06-22-2016, 05:12 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,581,607 times
Everyone went home and the bullies stand an throw threats and intimidation around...

They should have circled the republicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.