Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2016, 05:14 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
If the results from a background check don't come back within three days, the person applying for the weapon gets it.

If the background check comes back on day four, the person already has the gun...oh, well!

Doesn't sound very comprehensive, does it.
That's a personnel problem which can be easily solved. In fact, a measure that Democrats blocked on Monday would have pretty much fixed it.

Quote:
The vote Monday was 53-47 -- seven short of the 60 needed for the Senate to move ahead on the Republican-led measure.
The vote was largely along party lines.
Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Charles Grassley had sponsored the bill to increase money for the background check system. It would have prodded states to send more records to the FBI of felons and others barred from buying guns. The FBI operates the background check system.
Grassley's proposal also would have revamped language prohibiting some people with mental health issues from buying a gun. Democrats claimed that language would roll back current protections.
So yeah, we have comprehensive background checks but the Dems don't want to actually make them effective. Perhaps you should call your Senator and ask why.

Grassley's bill was the only one of the 4 put to the vote on Monday which actually made any sense, by the way.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:15 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
If the results from a background check don't come back within three days, the person applying for the weapon gets it.

If the background check comes back on day four, the person already has the gun...oh, well!

Doesn't sound very comprehensive, does it.

I'm visiting granny in Kansas and my cousin asked me if I want to go hunting with him. I go down and try to buy a rifle. I cannot get it before we leave to come home and I cannot buy out of state??? So, I cannot hunt in the USA, when I wish to, at the spur of the moment I feel hungry.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:16 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times

Old 06-22-2016, 05:17 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
No need to figure anything out.

Those statistics have more to do with demographics than gun ownership.
Sure, just like how the instances of mass shootings tripling since the GFZ law went into effect has nothing to do with the fact that we've turned our schools into hunting preserves for sociopaths...

Old 06-22-2016, 05:18 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
A filibuster is not a sit-in. You need to take a civics course.
Oh, I know the difference. I received an excellent education.

Someone telling the president during a state of the union address that he is a liar is not a sit-in or a filibuster, either.

Why isn't that addressed in your post???

In 2008 the republicans did EXACTLY what the dems are doing today.

So, all of these various insults can be applied to republicans, also.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:19 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Sure, just like how the instances of mass shootings tripling since the GFZ law went into effect has nothing to do with the fact that we've turned our schools into hunting preserves for sociopaths...
Maybe some day we will actually decide to deal with the problem.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:19 PM

57,268 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
you're not rationalizing this at all.

ambiguous lists without due process is a violation of our constitution.

if you're PO'd, take it out on the FBI who was inept enough to NOT put this guy on a list within the NICS system despite interviewing him 3x - same EXACT thing for the Tsarnaev brothers. and the FBI even got intel from the Russians on them, and did SQUAT!
That's utter nonsense the FBI did the best they could, there was no reason to put him in the NCIS database, if they did we would have another 100,000 people. Anyone the FBI interviews need to go in the NCIS, please keep slapping that head ,might do some good. They can always contest their classification in court after the fact, but that's of course a problem to live temporarily without a gun, what a horror.

What's preventing someone from flying but not gun ownership.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:22 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,554,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
That's utter nonsense the FBI did the best they could, there was no reason to put him in the NCIS database, if they did we would have another 100,000 people. Anyone the FBI interviews need to go in the NCIS, please keep slapping that head ,might do some good.

What's preventing someone from flying but not gun ownership.
their best was not good enough.

so instead of putting people like Ted Kennedy on not fly lists, they need to improve their internal processes.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:24 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I'm visiting granny in Kansas and my cousin asked me if I want to go hunting with him. I go down and try to buy a rifle. I cannot get it before we leave to come home and I cannot buy out of state??? So, I cannot hunt in the USA, when I wish to, at the spur of the moment I feel hungry.
Your cousin only has ONE rifle? I'm shocked!

On the other hand, I agree with you that there should be national laws regarding arms; it should not be a state issue.

The second amendment should apply to every single citizen of the country.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:26 PM

57,268 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
That's a personnel problem which can be easily solved. In fact, a measure that Democrats blocked on Monday would have pretty much fixed it.

So yeah, we have comprehensive background checks but the Dems don't want to actually make them effective. Perhaps you should call your Senator and ask why.

Grassley's bill was the only one of the 4 put to the vote on Monday which actually made any sense, by the way.
That bill did not change the waiting period, if he wanted to do something why not increase to 30 days as it is in some states, what's the rush. Just throwing money at the problem is not a solution, change the waiting period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies