Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 03:16 PM

1,166 posts, read 754,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I saw that. It seems rather childish, although I do recall when 'sit ins' were a popular form of protest. Indeed, I guess Mr. Lewis, being one of the last of the 'old time' Civil Rights Movement protestors left alive, took part in a fair number of sit-ins at lunch counters and such, and that is why he is doing this.

However, I am against such antics in the United States House of Representatives. I also read that Senator Chris Martin went onto the House floor to join in. I was against it when Rafael Edward Cruz, Canadian Senator from Texas, went onto the House floor to agitate for closing the government, and I am against it now. Mr. Martin should sit on his own floor, in the Senate.

However, Mr. Ryan should have let C-Span continue to televise the House floor. That is what it is for. Let people see what the Democrats are doing.

Let me guess - You had no problems with a Republican screaming "you lie" during the President's SOTU address though.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:19 PM

596 posts, read 428,328 times
Didn't the Dems turn out the lights when some Republicans were doing something like this? My memory is a little murky on the details.

I think each side should do this every time they lose a vote.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:20 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Republicans did the same thing not too long ago. Were they acting like children, also? Wasting taxpayer money? Attempting to circumvent due process?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...moewdBADvZ0PNQ
no argument from me there. it seems that the houe of representatives has become the house of petulant children. they ALL need to be slapped down hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
If they want their bill passed all they have to do is agree to a remedy to getting your name off of any list if it is on there by error, or the 72 hour waiting period to have a court of law look at it but they won't. WHY THE HELL NOT?
because they dont want ANYONE buying guns, they want to get rid of them all, and they are more than willing to circumvent the constitution to do it.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:22 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Strategic mistake. There are plenty of Dem voter NRA members and gun owners who don't buy into the agenda.

But perhaps Dem politicians exposing themselves as temper-tantrum throwing toddlers will wake some people up to their lack of suitability to hold office.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:24 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Looks like the most Leftist of the Senators have hot-footed it over to the House to get in on the Twitter Chain and the Selfies. These Snowflakes have found their Safe Space - the one thing they can't seem to find is a House Bill. On the Up-side, our Resident Faux Indian Maiden rushed over to get in the Selfies as did Bernie & good old Harry.

Exactly what Bill do they demand a vote on? Nobody knows. I've read the articles, searched the 2 Twitter Feeds and looked for bills in the records. Nada What we do know is that 2 Gun Control Democrat Senate Bills failed in the Senate Vote last night .. as did 2 GOP Gun Control Senate Bills. Another Senate Bill will get a vote soon.

For those of you that are not aware - there is an order to passing a Bill.
1) You have to write it and then try to get support for it. Shutting down the US House by breaking all the Rules and turning the Floor of the US House into a College Social Justice Protest Sit In .. is probably not going to be effective.

The House was gaveled into recess and will remain in recess until order is restored.
CSPAN cameras only operate when the House is in session. When it goes into recess, the camera is turned off at the same time.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:28 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,652,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
these democrats are acting like children who are not getting what they want.and instead of going through proper channels, they are instead protesting.
After the Columbine school shooting, Sandy Hook shooting, movie theater shooting, military base shooting, ex.ex. republicans in Washington refused to take (any) action to stop these mass murders from happening again. Republicans even refuse to pass laws that stop suspected terrorists from buying guns.
Senate votes down proposal to bar gun sales to terrorism suspects - LA Times

I remember the Sandy Hook shooting (where 20 children aged between 6 and 7 years old were killed with a assault weapon) and the republicans only response was "we are keeping assault weapons legal."

And its not just the victims and their families that suffer, its also gun owners that suffer. Because after republicans in Washington ignore these problems states then pass laws themselves restricting gun rights, and some states go beyond common sense gun laws (and now we have some states heading towards European-like gun laws.)
More Than Half of Americans Now Have Tougher Gun Laws | Mother Jones

And do republicans in Washington talk about how 1/2 of Americans got tougher gun laws after Sandy Hook?
Answer: Hell no. The corporate republican machine only cares about one thing, and that's getting the gun owners to vote republican (and vote for corporate/CEO tax cuts like these.)

Bush Tax Cuts After 2002: June 2002 CTJ Analysis

Romney's Economic Plan Includes $6.6 Trillion Tax Cut For The Rich And Corporations | ThinkProgress

More Than Half Of Jeb Bush's Proposed Tax Cuts Would Benefit The Top 1 Percent: Report

How Presidential Candidate Ted Cruz Would Radically Increase Taxes on Everyone But the Rich | Tax Justice Blog

Here are the massive tax breaks Trump is proposing for the rich - May. 9, 2016

Old 06-22-2016, 03:37 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
After the Columbine school shooting, Sandy Hook shooting, movie theater shooting, military base shooting, ex.ex. republicans in Washington refused to take (any) action to stop these mass murders from happening again. Republicans even refuse to pass laws that stop suspected terrorists from buying guns.
Senate votes down proposal to bar gun sales to terrorism suspects - LA Times

I remember the Sandy Hook shooting (where 20 children aged between 6 and 7 years old were killed with a assault weapon) and the republicans only response was "we are keeping assault weapons legal."

And its not just the victims and their families that suffer, its also gun owners that suffer. Because after republicans in Washington ignore these problems states then pass laws themselves restricting gun rights, and some states go beyond common sense gun laws (and now we have some states heading towards European-like gun laws.)
More Than Half of Americans Now Have Tougher Gun Laws | Mother Jones

And do republicans in Washington talk about how 1/2 of Americans got tougher gun laws after Sandy Hook?
Answer: Hell no. The corporate republican machine only cares about one thing, and that's getting the gun owners to vote republican (and vote for corporate/CEO tax cuts like these.)

Bush Tax Cuts After 2002: June 2002 CTJ Analysis

Romney's Economic Plan Includes $6.6 Trillion Tax Cut For The Rich And Corporations | ThinkProgress

More Than Half Of Jeb Bush's Proposed Tax Cuts Would Benefit The Top 1 Percent: Report

How Presidential Candidate Ted Cruz Would Radically Increase Taxes on Everyone But the Rich | Tax Justice Blog

Here are the massive tax breaks Trump is proposing for the rich - May. 9, 2016
you keep demanding tougher gun laws, but you never support any that will not do an end run around the constitution, or violate the constitution in general. an why is that? because ALL gun laws are unconstitutional when they restrict the rights of law abiding citizens.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:40 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
If they sit there doing nothing than we don't need to pay them for doing nothing.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:42 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
I guess this is what Republicans should have done when they didn't get their way on Oblubbercare.

Oh wait...Republicans don't throw temper tantrums and act like 2 year olds. These clowns should go to day care, not congress.

Now...just which party are obstructionists?

Old 06-22-2016, 03:42 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Democrats literally sat down on the floor of the House chamber on Wednesday, forcing the House into a temporary recess, as part of an effort to compel Republican leadership to vote on gun control legislation.

Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.), a civil rights leader who led sit ins in the '60s, berated Congress for its continued inaction in the wake of the continuous mass shootings across the country.

Democrats Stage Sit-In On House Floor Over Gun Bills

Following his speech he informed Ryan that he was going to take a seat. Then he did so, sitting down on the floor. And dozens of Democrats joined him.

Republicans promptly gaveled the House into a temporary recess and ordered C-SPAN to turn off the cameras so Americans couldn't see the action taking place in the House. When Republicans attempted to reconvene a short while ago, Democrats remained seated on the floor, and Ryan was forced to call another recess.

And so it remains right now.
How juvenile. What will they do next? Hold their breath?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies