Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 10:07 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,725,728 times

Advertisements

Somebody brought up a good point in another thread:

Firearm safety in high school. Like driver safety.

I don't like anologies often but sex education is supposed to bring awareness. Why not the same with firearms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 10:09 AM

19,690 posts, read 10,028,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Somebody brought up a good point in another thread:

Firearm safety in high school. Like driver safety.

I don't like anologies often but sex education is supposed to bring awareness. Why not the same with firearms?
The liberals would have a seizure. Years ago, gun safety classes were common everywhere. Boy Scouts and 4H still have them, but schools don't.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:15 AM

5,381 posts, read 2,824,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miaheatfan View Post
I'm a liberal gun owner and I honestly don't think there is anything else that we can do from a legislative perspective to directly curtail gun violence. I think our focus should be on trying to improve mental healthcare and cracking down on illegal gun trafficking.
Well stated. Maybe if politicians and citizens focused on the REAL REASONS for the attacks in the first place, we may be able to stem the tide.

Call TERRORIST ATTACKS what they are. Fort Hood, San Bernadino, Orlando, etc.

BLAME THE ACTIONS OF THE KILLER NOT THE GUNS!

Mental illness is often involved with these killers. We need to focus on that issue!

STOP GLORIFYING THESE MASS KILLERS! Stop reporting about every aspect of these killers on TV. Don't give names of the killers. Focus on the victims. Killers often seek the fame related to "spectacular" murders. Take away that opportunity at infamy.

FOCUS ON INNER CITY VIOLENCE! Focus on the tragedy of black on black violence. Focus on gang related murders and crime.

Focus on statistics that show that guns DO PROTECT people. Although hard to track, there are TONS of stories about crimes and murder being thwarted by law abiding gun owners.

Get rid of Gun Free zones. Giant gun free zone signs are nothing but invitations to criminals to commit crimes with the knowledge that they won't be stopped.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:16 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,496,982 times
I wouldn't mind firearm safety in school. actually would prefer it even though I don't own one.
It would be preferable to other "sports" if it was part of gym class

but how do you explain to a parent, we had to shoot your child because they pointed gun at someone by accident, but they didn't live to tell their side of it

Old 06-23-2016, 10:17 AM

45,074 posts, read 60,132,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
From the article:

The vast majority of deaths associated with "gun violence" aren't so called mass shootings, in spite of the news coverage they receive. The bulk are by common criminals-people with a long history of crime, that have been released on parole, released early or not even sentenced to prison. Want to cut down on gun deaths? Lock up proven criminals with sentences long enough to actually make a difference. Long mandatory sentences, with no possibility of parole for both "violent" and property crimes. In addition, enforce our existing federal gun laws. Felon in position is a federal felony with a 5 year sentence per instance. Yet it is rarely enforced. Buying a gun for another person, or for one unable to legally possess one? Again, federal felony-one our Justice Department rarely prosecutes.

The real problem isn't the presence of guns, it is a substantial portion of our society that has no respect or value for human life. Until we address the cultural issues that drive that, we will continue to have violent crime, rather it's with guns or some other weapon.

The theme of this can't be stressed enough. I remember almost 40 years ago when I lived in PA and the mandatory 5 year sentence for using a gun in the commission of a crime was adopted there. The State ran PSAs on TV constantly stressing it and that there was no pleading it away.

That's it. Enforce the current laws on the books for sentencing, attempts to buy when disallowed and straw purchasers. You won't fix the entire problem but will make a big dent, especially with sentencing.

Make exceptions in the enforcement so when I buy my son (or daughter) a shotgun I don't get arrested as a straw purchaser if he, or she, can otherwise own a gun. That's an aspect the banners (and that's what they are. They don't want "control" they want bans leading to eventual confiscation) always trip up on.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:23 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,725,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
I wouldn't mind firearm safety in school. actually would prefer it even though I don't own one.

but how do you explain to a parent, we had to shoot your child because they pointed gun at someone by accident, but they didn't live to tell their side of it
The same way that... Johnny and jimmy followed
Mary into the restroom and...

Very painfully

Old 06-23-2016, 10:27 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,411,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post

Don't use real weapons

Old 06-23-2016, 10:55 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,513,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I've followed this issue for a while now, also by way of more than a few gun threads, and though I have not been altogether against gun control, I have come to accept there isn't much that can be done to stop gun violence in America or even to lessen the body count by any acceptable level. I am no gun expert, and I have been chastised for having an opinion though I am not an expert, even for relying on experts instead. However, as compared to many gun enthusiasts in these threads, for example, I just tend to pay closer attention to other experts that tend to make more sense without all the gun obsession detail down to the patina. Accordingly, rather than go round and round those gun circles, I'm glad to have this to offer as my position. IOWs, I tend to agree almost entirely with what is written here. Not that the "answers" put forth here are altogether satisfying, but about the best we can do I think...

"What can be done to address this much larger toll of gun violence, which leaves nearly 100,000 Americans killed or wounded each year?"

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ks-what-doesnt
You don't need to be an expert to have an opinion, many of the so called "experts" have their own biases that they use to persuade others they have the answer. Your struggle with such a serious issue of mass shootings and gun control go deeper than just the headlines, so it is understandable it's hard to wrap our heads around any legitimate solution. At the core is the liberties that are unique to Americans, guaranteed by the Constitution vs. some modicum of safety in a lawful society. Unfortunately our politicians have politicized the issue, and that's not going to solve anything.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:36 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,076,680 times
Are we interested in public safety, or do we just want to take our frustrations out on the gun?
The FBI gives us some eye opening facts that if we took notice, would curb much gun violence.
71% of all those arrested to gun violence are repeat offenders. That's huge!
What if we stopped letting so many of these criminals plea bargain down to misdemeanors?
What if we kept these recidivists in prisons for longer sentences. Maybe even make it a Federal offense to use Guns in violent crimes?
If we could segregate these repeat offenders from the rest of society, our violent crime stats would fall like a rock and there would be fewer victims.

We can do it but instead we are so focused on the gun for all the answers, that we miss a solution that is staring us in the face. The gun control argument has strong opinions on both sides, but who can argue against keeping violent criminals behind bars for longer sentences. Why does our justice system negotiate with criminals with long rap sheets?

I have a theory why we don't focus on the criminal and instead focus on the gun control argument.
We dont implement stronger enforcement because it would impact the minority communities the most.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:37 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,002,659 times
#1 Better education in regards to gun safety, gun laws, and gun storage. Kids should learn basic gun safety in school, and all gun owners should be required to pass some form of gun safety course. This would particularly make a difference in our inner cities where so many gun owners did not grow up around gun culture.

#2 harsher penalties for possession of illegal weapons. We're talking mandatory 10 years for carrying an illegal firearm and 20 years for committing a violent crime with one. Life in prison for a second offense of either.

#3 Federal transfer laws and Harsher penalties for illegal transfers. First offense, mandatory $5000 fine and loss of gun rights for 5 years. Second offense, 1 year in jail with loss of gun rights forever.

#4 Random frisking and searches of those suspected of possibly having an illegal firearm in high crime areas. Yes, profiling suspected gang members.

#5 A no buy list for individuals prescribed a list of certain psych drugs used to treat psychosis and individuals that have been treated for psychosis within the last 5 years.

#6 A no buy list for individuals that have been treated for methamphetamine addiction or charged with possession of methamphetamine within the last 5 years.

#7 A no buy list for those on the FBI watch list, which triggers an investigation within 24 hours after a failed background check

#8 A 30 day delay for those on the no fly list, which triggers an investigation within 24 hours after a failed background check

#9 Permit required for purchase or possession of any semiautomatic weapon with a detachable magazine. Permit will require a mental health check as well as a more intense background check.

#10 Death penalty for those caught smuggling illegal firearms or hard drugs across our borders into the country. Better border security technology including drones, invisible gates, and a BIG-AZZ wall.

#11 Offer a special training course for those that wish to carry in gun free zones. It should be similar to LE training, but available to those that wish to jump through the hoops.

#12 Possession of a legal firearm while under the influence of drugs or alcohol = $500 fine loss of gun rights for five years. second offense= year in jail and loss of gun rights forever.

#13 offer a national concealed weapons permit and open carry to those that complete a standardized training course.

As a law abiding citizen, none of these things would prevent me from owning and AK-47 or carrying a Glock 17 on my hip.

Last edited by jrt1979; 06-23-2016 at 11:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies