U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2016, 12:18 PM

5,300 posts, read 3,307,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Which are greater odds? Home invasion or street attack? You appear to be saying that the chances of a home invasion are significant enough to be armed, but that the chances of a street attack are so negligible that fear of a street attack should be treated with medication.

My personal experience is that my home has never been invaded, but I've been attacked on the street three times (twice within 72 hours, in fact).
Damn, where do you live? I would be packing up my stuff to move elsewhere.

I lived in St Louis (on the top 10 list of highest crime cities in the US) and was never mugged and never felt unsafe during my daily travels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 12:24 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,013,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
There are several things that would help fix shootings. Inner city shootings happen more frequently than mass shootings, so it would be better to focus on those.

1) Better education. Educated people don't shoot people as often as uneducated people.

2) Birth control. If you already cannot support yourself, you have no business bringing a child into the world. This is how we end up with neglected children who turn into criminals.

3) Mental health. Many of the mass shooting are caused by mentally ill individuals. Remove the stigma surrounding mental health, and provide better care for those who need it.

4) Ban guns. I'm a gun owner, but I'd give up my guns if I knew criminals no longer had guns. I loved living in France and not having to worry about guns. Sure, gun crimes occur everywhere, but it's definitely more of a problem in the US. That being said, it would be next to impossible to remove guns from the hands of criminals.

Things like assault weapons bans, magazine bans, or any other kind of "feel good" law will not help solve gun violence.
1. People educate, or don't, themselves. Great sentiment, impossible to do
2. Again great sentiment, but are you actively indicating forced birth control?
3. The 'stigma' on mental health is an individual choice. Care is also dependent on the individual who is depressed, bipolar, schizophrenic. How do you suggest better care?
4. Of course

Old 07-05-2016, 12:29 PM

12,748 posts, read 3,231,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Guns were invented for a reason: They enabled men who were nominal farmers to engage successfully with professional warriors.

If there were no guns, ordinary people would still be prey to men who were armed with knives or clubs or just larger or in groups--the "professional warriors." A world with no guns would still leave ordinary people terrorized by the physically powerful.

Unless society can give me a reasonable guarantee of my personal safety, then society has no moral right to prohibit my option in providing my own personal safety.
I am amused by those who feel their gun is what provides them safety or serves as the "great equalizer" given how rare the cases of criminals prevented from doing what they do regardless. The better equalizer, I think, is being smart and rational. That's why so many of these comments are also amusing, because they are neither smart or rational, yet somehow those making the comments think they're brilliant!

Explaining that guns are just like knives, for example, or simply repeating that we have the 2A...

These are actually considered intelligent arguments, repeated adnauseam, along with the one about how guns don't do the killing, people do -- duh! Truly a marvel to witness, and thank goodness we are not dependent on the likes when it comes to what ultimately transpires in the way of "sensible" gun control efforts.

Yes, there's that moronic term, "gun control," that for some suggests gun control advocates think that guns can think! It's these sorts of arguments that are absolutely moronic, though some might suspect a form of intelligence when it comes to arguments that keep any "honest discussion" from getting started.

Crafty in any case...

Old 07-05-2016, 12:32 PM

20,265 posts, read 12,132,962 times
a child lost its life-- how sad- and probably devastating for the dad- and mom- stop with the political already- accidents happen... sorry for your loss --

Old 07-05-2016, 01:02 PM

66,547 posts, read 33,820,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Thank you for a reasoned comment that not only makes some sense but that I can pretty well agree with, as also pretty well explained in the article I used to start this thread and represent my position. Funny how this continues to be so very hard for some to understand...

Except for the fact, the 2nd amendment stand firmly as an obstacle to those desires to limit another human of their liberties.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:03 PM

66,547 posts, read 33,820,661 times
Quote:

I lived in St Louis (on the top 10 list of highest crime cities in the US) and was never mugged and never felt unsafe during my daily travels.

I have gambled in Las Vegas, too.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:09 PM

9,615 posts, read 4,607,965 times
Quote:

I worked in downtown Kansas City for 10 years and fended off attackers twice with a gun.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:12 PM

20,167 posts, read 11,172,468 times
Quote:

The 'double tap" was in Washington DC.

The mob attack was in Omaha.

We did get burglarized during the night in Honololu. I don't count that as a "home invasion," although I realized that I had awakened and discovered the burglary only minutes after the burglar had left the house.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:41 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,721,035 times
Quote:
Are you by chance the one who commented sometime back in another thread that you were for the ban of fully automatic weapons? Sometime back someone with similar background as you wrote they were for such a ban, but I've got no real way to search back and find who that person was. I should have asked for his reason(s)...
Not me

Old 07-06-2016, 10:54 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,721,035 times
Quote:
Maybe because criminals are harder to detect than guns. Criminals don't appear on the screen like guns do in a metal detector for example. Reminding me of my further prediction that we'll be walking through a good many more metal detectors to get in a lot more public areas before too long if you ask me...
Actually it is easy to detect the criminals.
The FBI reports that 71% of violent criminals are repeat offenders.
What would happen if we stopped letting these career criminals plea bargain down to misdemeanors?
What if we made violent gun crime a federal offense and incarcerated these recidivists for long long sentences?
What if we stopped with the early release program?
Segregating violent repeat offenders would create fewer victims.
If we could get this one thing figured out, we probably would drop the gun crime stats so low that there would be no need for the gun control conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies