Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2016, 02:35 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
When did I mention Honolulu? I mentioned St. Louis, Atlanta, and Richmond.
We're talking about violence in large cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 02:36 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
My proposals.

1) commit a crime with a firearm: automatic 5 year sentence added on to the sentence for whatever crime was committed. No plea bargains, this goes for any age.

2) commit a crime with a firearm, and have a prior , crime or firearms violation , automatic 10 years added to the original crimes sentence. 5 for repeat offence, 5 for the firearms violation. No plea bargains, this goes for any age.

3) Caught with a firearm that has had the serial number ground away, 5 years. No plea bargains, this goes for any age.

4) Caught under age with a firearm, 5 years. No plea bargains , this goes for any age.

5) If an illegal commits a crime with a firearm, 5 years added to whatever the original sentence is plus deportation. If caught back in the states after that, life in prison.

6) All firearm sales, new or secondary have to go thru an FFL. The FFL can only charge up to $30 for this.

7) Hippa laws have to be changed so that mental history can be shared with NICS.

8) CPL holders must renew every year instead of every 5. This will ensure a new background check yearly.

#5 is a tough one, I'd rather just deport the illegal scum but they have to be held accountable for their crimes, even if it cost us , the taxpayers.

I think this will get a hold on gun violence....will it help violence in general, doubtful. But it would hopefully make the left happy... which seems virtually impossible.

Why so complicated?

1. Life sentence for anybody commits a felony with any arm without parole - I am even OK with 10 years add-on.
2. Add a gun test before releasing any felon or mental patient - anybody can't be trusted or ineligible for owning firearms must remain in hospital/prison.
3. Abolish background check entirely.

No infringement on any rights, will dramatically drop crime rate, and will save tens of thousands of lives yet will be soundly rejected by the liberals.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:27 PM

18,455 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Question for gun-carriers*: If my rights stop where yours begin, is that the max range of your weapon(s)?

*I didn't say gun owners, because I own a few. I only carry them in public when directed to so do.

Didn't you get enough perspective on this in the thread you started about it?

Your question has not become less banal since then.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"1. The gun show loophole - I don't think anyone should be able to buy a gun in the US without having a background check run first."

First, there is NO SUCH thing as gun show "loophole"

2nd. Would you go along with putting the SAME restrictions on the 1st amendment as you want to do put on the 2md amendment?

How would you like to have a background check, that YOU have to PAY FOR, on you BEFORE you cold post on the Internet?

Remember, "The pen is mightier then the sword".

Now that's an idea!

How about requiring a background check for anyone who wants to go to a crowded theater?

After all, you never know when someone might abuse their first amendment right and yell "FIRE".

Because, as the Left LOVES to point out, Constitutional rights are not unlimited. ....

Old 07-13-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Why so complicated?

1. Life sentence for anybody commits a felony with any arm without parole - I am even OK with 10 years add-on.
2. Add a gun test before releasing any felon or mental patient - anybody can't be trusted or ineligible for owning firearms must remain in hospital/prison.
3. Abolish background check entirely.

No infringement on any rights, will dramatically drop crime rate, and will save tens of thousands of lives yet will be soundly rejected by the liberals.

Agreed, Lib's would never go for it.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:56 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
What could actually work to fix gun violence in America.

Teaching our kids tolerance and politeness, instead of hatred to be themselves and the victims of their own identities, ready to lash out..... Would work wonders.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Teaching our kids tolerance and politeness, instead of hatred to be themselves and the victims of their own identities, ready to lash out..... Would work wonders.
Dems would never go for that either.

Any solution that they can't legislate, regulate, tax or otherwise implement and enforce through the power of government is a nonstarter.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:10 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
That being said, wouldn't every large city we have in the states be a murder death kill zone like Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, St. Louis, Camden, Flint, and Baltimore ?
True. Again not sure where Florist is getting his data to suggest "most are," but the crime rates differ a good deal from most to least murder rates, and the fluctuation of increases and decreases continues to be very difficult to explain to anyone's complete satisfaction...

WASHINGTON — Experts cannot agree on what to call a recent rise in homicides, much less its cause, but new data on Friday that showed a sharp spike in homicide rates in more than 20 cities rekindled debate over whether it was time for alarm.

The data showed particularly significant increases in homicides in six cities in the first three months of the year compared with the same period last year — Chicago, Dallas, Jacksonville, Fla., Las Vegas, Los Angeles and Memphis. But almost as many cities reported a notable decline in recent months.

New York saw a 25 percent drop, while Las Vegas’s homicide total nearly doubled.

Law enforcement officials struggled to explain the numbers and differed over their significance.

The heroin epidemic, a resurgence in gang violence and economic factors in some cities were all offered as explanations, but the most contentious theory came from an agency that usually does not worry much about local crime: the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

The agency’s director, James Comey, has linked rising crime to less aggressive policing — the “viral video effect,” he called it this week, rejecting the more racially charged “Ferguson effect.” His theory, however, found little support from the White House, law enforcement groups, criminologists or even the group that gave him the new data on Friday.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/14/us...-fbi.html?_r=0

Old 07-14-2016, 08:22 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Dems would never go for that either.

Any solution that they can't legislate, regulate, tax or otherwise implement and enforce through the power of government is a nonstarter.
Some of you who obviously lean heavy conservative, at least when it comes to this issue, sure love to go on about what "libs" may or may not do, always littering these threads with too many straw man arguments to count, and here too making about as much sense as a torch in a house with a gas leak.

You can't legislate what parents will teach their kids or how they will do that teaching, no more than you can legislate civility or peace. As already covered in this thread. Y'all daft?

Old 07-14-2016, 08:24 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
The agency’s director, James Comey, has linked rising crime to less aggressive policing — the “viral video effect,” he called it this week, rejecting the more racially charged “Ferguson effect.” His theory, however, found little support from the White House, law enforcement groups, criminologists or even the group that gave him the new data on Friday.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/14/us...-fbi.html?_r=0

I would not call it a "viral video" effect because that implies a greater limitation than there is, but I definitely think the effect of social media must be considered.

You will hear this from me in more than one context. The Millennial generation lives in social media, and their worldview is based largely on what social media bubble they live in. This has an the same effect on those who live in a radical Islamic social media bubble (Omar Mateen) or a white supremacist social media bubble (Dylan Roof) or a black reactionary social media bubble (Micah Johnson).

You see these people moving through the "real world" with their phones to their faces and buds in their ears--immersed in their social media bubbles...sitting beside you on the bus. Their social media bubbles form the contexts of their existences and for young adolescent males seeking purpose, their social media bubbles encourage them in a purpose.

The government authorities and media pundits search in vain for "organizations" and "leaders" and "direct contacts"--there are none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies