U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2016, 03:46 PM

4,268 posts, read 4,083,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
I'm a reasonable guy that owns a bunch of guns, while you're a gun nut that bases his/her life off of a piece of paper that was mostly written over 200 years ago.

My gun rights will eventually be taken away because of people like you being unreasonable. Thanks
I thought this forum was for discussion. My post wasn't personal and you call me a nut and unreasonable. You don't even know me.

Without that "piece of paper" laws would be mob rule. The Constitution protects the rights of both the majority and the minority unless it gets shredded even more by the current regime. But yes, I take the literal interpretation of the Constitution and all of its Amendments. While it did not start out as a perfect document, it is getting better through the Amendment process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 03:49 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,794,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
I'm a reasonable guy that owns a bunch of guns, while you're a gun nut that bases his/her life off of a piece of paper that was mostly written over 200 years ago.

My gun rights will eventually be taken away because of people like you being unreasonable. Thanks
The only reason you even have any gun rights at all today is because of people like him, and that piece of paper written over 200 years ago that also protects your rights to free speech, religion, a fair trial, the right to be free of warrantless searches, etc. Things that you seem to be implying are irrelevant in today's world.

So yeah, you should thank us for having the foresight that you apparently lack.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:57 PM

8,889 posts, read 3,940,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
What could actually work to fix gun violence in America.
I haven't read all the posts, but have been in and around this topic for many years.

We will never control all violence. We will never control all guns. But technology may eventually give us a useful answer that might protect the innocent public.

If and when we can have a technology where about anyone in the general population could have easy access to a non-lethal way of temporarily putting down a potential threat, without the fear of killing anyone else, we might have a useful answer.

It would have to be easy to access, use and aim. Relatively cheap and ubiquitous. Something like the Tazer IMO is in the right direction. A full fledged 'Star Trek phaser on stun' would be the ticket. Of course science fiction today, IMO we will eventually have a reasonable solution like this. Also IMO we will continue to witness this sort of violence until that day.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:00 PM

1,504 posts, read 632,173 times
You will never get rid of millions of firearms. Those who own firearms and who come from families where guns are common place and respected are NOT the problem - The problem is in gun SALES. If you have not noticed...these mass killings are done by people who have only RECENTLY purchased a gun not by long time gun owners.

Gun dealers must stop governing their business through profit or unbridled greed. These people who sell guns have met thousands of people who are NORMAL and mature...they can also spot a person who they know through their experience should NOT own a gun. Still- they sell to anyone who can pass a background check and who has the money.

Gun dealers should be instructed to use their discretion on who to sell to and who not to sell to. There must be a law where gun sellers are held responsible for their actions. The point is most of us can tell who is a risk and who is not. For instance imagine the buyer as a drunk at a house party....would you trust this person with a deadly weapon?

As I mentioned, you can not recall millions of guns. Laws must be passed on sales of guns. Let legitimate gun owners keep their weapons. Let legitimate gun owners by under strict rules in the containment and storage of their guns...as for NEW wanna be gun owners...these are the ones you have to watch.

If the FBI finds a person even slightly off the wall...that person should be blocked from weaponry. There is also the question of impairment. Pharma product has side effects...I think it is dumb that these killers who eventually end up dead...do not have a full autopsy. Their blood must be checked for any medication....but - big pharma is about big money...and if a drug that removes remorse and guilt is prescribed....then that is also a problem that we avoid dealing with.

Altered brain chemistry is an unpredictable situation. How many of these mass killers were on legitimate prescribed medications?

Old 06-23-2016, 04:11 PM

12,046 posts, read 5,722,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
From the article:

The vast majority of deaths associated with "gun violence" aren't so called mass shootings, in spite of the news coverage they receive. The bulk are by common criminals-people with a long history of crime, that have been released on parole, released early or not even sentenced to prison. Want to cut down on gun deaths? Lock up proven criminals with sentences long enough to actually make a difference. Long mandatory sentences, with no possibility of parole for both "violent" and property crimes. In addition, enforce our existing federal gun laws. Felon in position is a federal felony with a 5 year sentence per instance. Yet it is rarely enforced. Buying a gun for another person, or for one unable to legally possess one? Again, federal felony-one our Justice Department rarely prosecutes.

The real problem isn't the presence of guns, it is a substantial portion of our society that has no respect or value for human life. Until we address the cultural issues that drive that, we will continue to have violent crime, rather it's with guns or some other weapon.
You are exactly correct - let's start with the Government Definition with "mass shooting death" -- it's 3 people. A drive by shooting in Chicago often kills that many people ..... does anyone call it a "mass shooting"? NOPE, it just a normal night in Chicago and we don't want to talk about that -- BUT, that goes in the Statistics pile and inflates the numbers ..... which we are lied to about on a regular basis. The FBI Report is an investigation of 160 shootings - they excluded ALL gang and drug related mass shootings. 160 - not the 1,000's that the Occupiers were screaming about. Of course, these mass shootings have increased greatly during the Age of Obama and rise of Islamic Terrorism.

A Study of Active Shooter Incidents in the United States Between 2000 and 2013 - FBI Report

In 2013, the president signed into law the Investigative Assistance for Violent Crimes Act of 2012, which granted the attorney general the authority to assist in the investigation of “violent acts and shootings occurring in a place of public use” and in the investigation of “mass killings and attempted mass killings at the request of an appropriate law enforcement official of a state or political subdivision.”

What can be done? Perhaps we should start by identifying the problems (which is not Evil Guns walking around a shooting people). Perhaps we should crack down on the gangs/drug dealers who steal guns and shoot up neighborhoods in Urban Areas daily. Catch & Release is NOT a solution. Perhaps we should allow the FBI & Police to look for Terrorists instead of tying their hands to keep from "offending" somebody or putting too many of a particular Demographic in Jail. Perhaps we should do something about the Judges and Prosecutors who allow these criminals to walk among us with their "Get out of Jail Free Cards". We need to start following the Law and making sure that the LAW is applied in these cases. We actually need to put PEOPLE above Political Agenda, Fund Raising and Re-Election Stunts.

Mental Health issues are key for many of these shootings - I'm in favor of both making help available to families AND holding those families responsible for turning a blind eye when they know something is wrong.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:14 PM

33,910 posts, read 42,175,279 times
Accused murderer remains free on bond | thebaynet.com | TheBayNet.com | Articles

http://smnewsnet.com/archives/405239...rick-shooting/

http://smnewsnet.com/archives/405066...ase-marijuana/

Old 06-23-2016, 04:16 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,227,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I've followed this issue for a while now, also by way of more than a few gun threads, and though I have not been altogether against gun control, I have come to accept there isn't much that can be done to stop gun violence in America or even to lessen the body count by any acceptable level. I am no gun expert, and I have been chastised for having an opinion though I am not an expert, even for relying on experts instead. However, as compared to many gun enthusiasts in these threads, for example, I just tend to pay closer attention to other experts that tend to make more sense without all the gun obsession detail down to the patina. Accordingly, rather than go round and round those gun circles, I'm glad to have this to offer as my position. IOWs, I tend to agree almost entirely with what is written here. Not that the "answers" put forth here are altogether satisfying, but about the best we can do I think...

"What can be done to address this much larger toll of gun violence, which leaves nearly 100,000 Americans killed or wounded each year?"

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ks-what-doesnt
Kill the "Democrats" who can't seem to stop killing each other? Think Chicago, Baltimore, Lana', Miami, DC, NYC, LA, Houston, Nawlins'......you get the idea?

Old 06-23-2016, 04:19 PM

9,620 posts, read 4,612,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
You will never get rid of millions of firearms. Those who own firearms and who come from families where guns are common place and respected are NOT the problem - The problem is in gun SALES. If you have not noticed...these mass killings are done by people who have only RECENTLY purchased a gun not by long time gun owners.

Gun dealers must stop governing their business through profit or unbridled greed. These people who sell guns have met thousands of people who are NORMAL and mature...they can also spot a person who they know through their experience should NOT own a gun. Still- they sell to anyone who can pass a background check and who has the money.

Gun dealers should be instructed to use their discretion on who to sell to and who not to sell to. There must be a law where gun sellers are held responsible for their actions. The point is most of us can tell who is a risk and who is not. For instance imagine the buyer as a drunk at a house party....would you trust this person with a deadly weapon?

As I mentioned, you can not recall millions of guns. Laws must be passed on sales of guns. Let legitimate gun owners keep their weapons. Let legitimate gun owners by under strict rules in the containment and storage of their guns...as for NEW wanna be gun owners...these are the ones you have to watch.

If the FBI finds a person even slightly off the wall...that person should be blocked from weaponry. There is also the question of impairment. Pharma product has side effects...I think it is dumb that these killers who eventually end up dead...do not have a full autopsy. Their blood must be checked for any medication....but - big pharma is about big money...and if a drug that removes remorse and guilt is prescribed....then that is also a problem that we avoid dealing with.

Altered brain chemistry is an unpredictable situation. How many of these mass killers were on legitimate prescribed medications?
A gun dealer could probably be sued for refusing to sell a gun to someone who passes the background check. Gun dealers are not shrinks, they cannot legally judge the mental capability of anyone.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:29 PM

12,172 posts, read 7,047,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Hence they should be in prison for life.

So we should lock up the parents for life for the actions of their children?

Old 06-23-2016, 04:32 PM

4,953 posts, read 7,886,172 times
It's not "gun violence", as our politicians would like you to say, it's "people violence". The "guns" aren't committing the violence. People are.

Tougher sentences and punishments for repeat perpetrators of violence and crimes may help. Bring back the chain gangs and make imprisonment a real punishment, not a place for free food, work-out rooms, and health care.

For those that lash out in unpredictable domestic violence acts and random mass shootings, the real question here is why are people so sick in our society? Not something that is easily answered, solved, predicted, nor "legislated".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies