Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2016, 10:29 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,084,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I agree that it is people that kill people, not guns, but I find it hard to ignore the number of guns in America and the excessive level of gun violence order-of-magnitude greater than any other modern advanced country. I know some Europeans, for example, one from Spain in particular who finds the 2A justification for so many guns in America a real problem. These people who are more experienced living where guns are simply not a part of the culture have a hard time adjusting to so many guns and stories of gun killings somewhat prevalent in America like nowhere in Europe. Accordingly, it is very easy for people with that different perspective to see guns as part of the problem, a problem they didn't have with fellow citizens living in Europe.

Of course this new form of violence born from radicalized terrorists is another matter, but the other problem is that these other countries never had the proliferation of guns in their country like we have had in America, nothing even close, so they are already at a base line that makes less incidents of gun violence possible as a result of fewer guns. Here in America, as I have recognized and commented many times, there is no getting that genie back in the bottle here. Regardless the 2A, guns are here to stay in America to the tune of 300 million. Whatever reality or problems may stem from so many weapons in our midst is simply something we must come to accept, something like deaths due to driving on our freeways.

Politically, however, our elected representatives are under relentless pressure to "do something!" So, there is lots of talk, some gun control measures here and there, but ultimately I think we all know this is a problem we simply cannot correct to any satisfactory degree.
The violence in America can be corrected if we stop blaming guns, and start working on solutions that will stop our prison recidivism rate. We can create many fewer victims if we stop with the plea bargains that allow violent criminals to negotiate down to a misdemeanor on violent crimes. We need to stop the early release program for those convicted of violent crimes. The Bureau of justice reports that 71% of those arrested for violent crimes are repeat offenders.
When will we stop letting those with long rap sheets back out into society to create more victims?

We need to treat violent gun crimes as federal offenses that put these offenders away in federal prison for lengthy sentences.

Now the detractors from this idea will say that we already incarcerate too many people. To that I say fine, lets keep what we are doing, lets keep the justice system revolving door open, and just whine about guns instead of dealing with the real problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 10:47 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
The violence in America can be corrected if we stop blaming guns, and start working on solutions that will stop our prison recidivism rate. We can create many fewer victims if we stop with the plea bargains that allow violent criminals to negotiate down to a misdemeanor on violent crimes. We need to stop the early release program for those convicted of violent crimes. The Bureau of justice reports that 71% of those arrested for violent crimes are repeat offenders.
When will we stop letting those with long rap sheets back out into society to create more victims?

We need to treat violent gun crimes as federal offenses that put these offenders away in federal prison for lengthy sentences.

Now the detractors from this idea will say that we already incarcerate too many people. To that I say fine, lets keep what we are doing, lets keep the justice system revolving door open, and just whine about guns instead of dealing with the real problem.
Yes, Alton Sterling might still be alive if he had been in prison where he belonged. I mean he had numerous assault convictions, a rape conviction and a felon with a gun conviction. Why was he even on the street?

Old 07-20-2016, 10:48 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Yes, Alton Sterling might still be alive if he had been in prison where he belonged. I mean he had numerous assault convictions, a rape conviction and a felon with a gun conviction. Why was he even on the street?
So he can vote for the Democrats.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:39 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
What could actually work to fix gun violence in America.

Finding Jesus.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:49 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The NRA has a program called "Eddie Eagle" that went to schools to teach kids what to do if they find a gun. We have all heard the horror stories where one kid is showing another a gun that is found or a parent left where the kid has access to it and one of them gets shot.

Growing up my father had a few guns. I knew where they were but I also knew that if I went messing around with them I would be in huge trouble. On occasions we would go shooting and do so safely.

Most kids today know nothing of guns except what they see in movies.
The best advice kids can get is from Eddie Eagle and the NRA . If you find a gun don't touch it and go tell an adult.
Pretty basic. I don't know why anyone would be against that message but they are.
This is one of many rights and natural liberties, the progressive "government is the best god", does not want our youth to know they have at the time of birth. The 2nd amendment is not age specific, as it has been rewritten to say. It say people and from the day you are conceived, you are a person. as in the right of the people.

This is not saying that babies are to be armed, but that at the age they can pick up and shoot a firearm, is the day education begins. if it gets deep, even 5 and 6 year old people, my have to defend this nation from tyrants.

My daughter at 6yo, could shoot as well as I and I can hit what I am aiming at 100% of the time, once I know the characteristics of the weapon.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:57 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Does it have anything to do with so many being in the system for non violent offenses?

What would help is if the police were allowed to do their job to investigate crimes as opposed to spending so much of their time collecting taxes.

I've seen this happen........the police are called out for a violent assault but the one who did the assault gets away because the police decided to pursue the odor of marijuana.

You can bet that homeowner will never try and assist the police in solving an actual crime again.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:15 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
With his violent history, Sterling would most likely have hurt or killed someone the next time.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:46 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Does it have anything to do with so many being in the system for non violent offenses?

What would help is if the police were allowed to do their job to investigate crimes as opposed to spending so much of their time collecting taxes.

I've seen this happen........the police are called out for a violent assault but the one who did the assault gets away because the police decided to pursue the odor of marijuana.

You can bet that homeowner will never try and assist the police in solving an actual crime again.

Reminds me of the time I called the police for a hit-and-run. A guy severely back-ended me and then actually got out of his car and ran away. I called the police. They arrived after a good while, took some notes. I tried to chat with them and mentioned, "I have a cousin who's a cop."

The officer said, "'Cop?' That's drug talk!" And next thing I knew, I was cuffed and stuffed into the back of their squad car. And I'd called them.

I had an uncle tell me long, long ago:

"The police are not looking for justice, they are looking for an arrest. If they find a reason to arrest you, you'll do as well as anyone else. The DA is not looking for justice either, he's looking for a conviction. If he finds something to convict you on, you'll do as well as anyone else."

This is the thing: The so-called "criminal justice system" is not a justice system. It's certainly not a system designed to protect you as a citizen or individual.

It's a system designed to maintain social order.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Reminds me of the time I called the police for a hit-and-run. A guy severely back-ended me and then actually got out of his car and ran away. I called the police. They arrived after a good while, took some notes. I tried to chat with them and mentioned, "I have a cousin who's a cop."

The officer said, "'Cop?' That's drug talk!" And next thing I knew, I was cuffed and stuffed into the back of their squad car. And I'd called them.

I had an uncle tell me long, long ago:

"The police are not looking for justice, they are looking for an arrest. If they find a reason to arrest you, you'll do as well as anyone else. The DA is not looking for justice either, he's looking for a conviction. If he finds something to convict you on, you'll do as well as anyone else."

This is the thing: The so-called "criminal justice system" is not a justice system. It's certainly not a system designed to protect you as a citizen or individual.

It's a system designed to maintain social order.
And you didn't sue them?

Old 07-20-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
With his violent history, Sterling would most likely have hurt or killed someone the next time.
So?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies