Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2016, 01:16 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
There is an 18 round revolver.

Nice belt fed.
Careful, one of the anti-gunners will wet their pants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 01:18 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,528,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I've followed this issue for a while now, also by way of more than a few gun threads, and though I have not been altogether against gun control, I have come to accept there isn't much that can be done to stop gun violence in America or even to lessen the body count by any acceptable level. I am no gun expert, and I have been chastised for having an opinion though I am not an expert, even for relying on experts instead. However, as compared to many gun enthusiasts in these threads, for example, I just tend to pay closer attention to other experts that tend to make more sense without all the gun obsession detail down to the patina. Accordingly, rather than go round and round those gun circles, I'm glad to have this to offer as my position. IOWs, I tend to agree almost entirely with what is written here. Not that the "answers" put forth here are altogether satisfying, but about the best we can do I think...

"What can be done to address this much larger toll of gun violence, which leaves nearly 100,000 Americans killed or wounded each year?"

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ks-what-doesnt
Turn the police loose on inner city gangs and drug dealers. There'd be a 90% reduction in gun crimes. That's the simple truth but it will never happen because the left refuses to hold people responsible for their actions.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:19 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Maybe this will help them along.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:40 PM

1,122 posts, read 960,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Your link doesn't work for me so I'll throw out my opinion.

1. Better education for everyone. We as a society need to teach people that violence isn't the first means of resolution to a problem. We also need to teach tolerance. It's too easy and too commonplace for someone who doesn't like a person's choices to stand against them. This starts in the home from a young age.

2. Less media coverage. The media sensationalizes gun violence and violence in general. This becomes appealing to aggressive youth and they soak up the media coverage like a sponge without yet being able to form their own thoughts and opinions.

3. Required gun safety courses. Just as we are required to take a driving test to get a license, we should be required to take a gun safety course before being allowed to purchase a firearm. Being caught without this li

4. Hold people accountable for their actions. Enough with the PC baloney. If you commit a crime, regardless of your race, political stance, gender, or religion you should be held accountable. I would recommend mandatory counseling and psychological treatment for those who commit crimes to try and get to the root cause of what sparked those actions to prevent future reoccurrences. If deemed psychologically unfit to own a firearm, the person would be denied legal means of obtaining one.
Could not agree more!!

Old 06-24-2016, 01:48 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
heck pro gunners are going to wet their pants

Old 06-24-2016, 02:11 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,083,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
I am mostly taking about guns that shoot a lot of bullets without reloading. You will not be able to take down as many people with a gun that only shoots 4 bullets vs a gun that shoots 10+ without reloading
Reloads take about 2 seconds or less and there are more people killed with knives each year than all types of rifles combined.

Old 06-24-2016, 03:04 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Rounding up weapons is not going to do much since you can obtain a weapon illegally.

Not wanting to stigmitize mental illness, but anyone who has sought treatment in a 2 year window are unable to buy a weapon and any weapons either need to be turned over to police or to a gun range to store your weapon until able to access it again. Additionally, after 2 year date is meant must go through a psych screening and background check. However, individuals who use firearms for their work are an exception to this rule shouldn't hinder them seeking care and evaluations of their health is at the discretion of their employer.

Ex offenders in jail for non violent offenses go through same process as those with mental health issues. Additionally, any of these offenders found with a firearm in the two year period will face a fine of $1,000, $5,000 for 2nd fine, and jail time up to a year. Additionally, make it illegal for companies and colleges to ask if an individual was incarcerated.

Violent offenders or offenders arrested for involvment in drug trafficking will not be allowed access to firearms. Additionally, anone with a restraining order or domestic dispute can appeal in two years if of two things: A 2 years after jail time/incident or after restraining order expires.

Every year a check will be made on released violent offenders. If weapon is found can face upwards to $10,000 fine and weapons will be confiscated.

Fine and possibly close gun shops that illegally or circumvent rules to sell firearms. Do not allow firearms or pieces of firearms to be sold online.

Improve the watchlist and work towards narrowing percentage of error. Do not go by the No Fly List. List is created by DOJ/DOC list of those incarcerated and for what. Additionally, those in psych treatment Doctor must make police aware for individuals name to be added to a database.

Increase funding to law enforcement services.

Increase funding to mental health clients, create a universal mental healthcare, create a federal mental health & addiction agency. Can slide in an immigration bill. Possibly universal healthcare, but free mental health care is a start that includes pharmaceuticals via an application filled out by a psychologist.

Change HIPPA laws for the mentally ill. Provide adequate, safe, and therapeutic longer term care options for mentally ill/homeless.

Work towards ending homelessness.

Improve care to Veterans.

Legalize marijuana.

Support open carry laws and do not place ban on weapons.

Certain weapons have certain age restrictions.

Right to carry unloaded firearms with safety on. Person must ensure weapon is secured or holstered. Rifles may not be carried on person or rifles/shotguns with modifications.

Anyone who is found carrying a loaded weapon will be charged with class A misdemeanor.

Allowed to cross state lines with firearms that are properly secured in the truck unloaded. If found not secured person is charged with Class A misdemeanor.

Anyone who uses a fire arm to physically harm person/animal will be processed federally.

Churches and Religious Universities are not allowed to carry fire arms on property without permission. Churches and Religious universities that allow firearms must notified the State residing in that they do.

Courts, State/Town buildings, hospitals, and schools fire arms are not allowed on person. If found faces possibility of fines and federal charges.

No restrictions for carrying firearm on property on private property.

Probably hardest issue to gain support on and think if all else passes put the kabosh on it. Every firearm must be licensed and have a record where purchased, including rifles. Additionally, have to be 21 and over to purchase. Any weapons found illegally obtained will be confiscated and face a fine of up to $10,000.

Firearms are allowed for immigrate from 2 year's after they become citizens of the US. If legal or illegal immigrant as well as those on VISAS have a firearm themselves/immediate family will be deported back to their original country. If found with a fire arm from time a citizen to the 2 year point face felony charges and heavy fines. Also add in stop funding Sanctuary cities and cut funds to States that support Sanctuary cities until they change their stance on Sanctuary cities.

Everyone who buys a firearm must have a State issue ID or Federal ID.

Additionally, make it unconstitutional for police officers to stop and frisk individuals with firearms on person.

Universal mental healthcare.

Additionally, anyone with outstanding fines in regards to firearms will be randomly checked once a year till fines are paid within a 36 month period. If found with a firearm can face 6 month's to 1 year of jail time.

Additionally, those receiving State welfare and those within their immediate family must work a minimum of 10 hour's a week, volunteer 10 hour's a week, in college with a 6 credit course load, or in a part time trade school program. (Children under 18 will be grouped with their parents. So if one child under 18 has a firearm fines/criminal punishment will fall on the head of household.) Additionally, State run adult trade programs and State run community colleges will offer free tuition (Books will however be self funded.)

Last edited by RunD1987; 06-24-2016 at 04:31 PM..

Old 06-24-2016, 03:09 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Rounding up weapons is not going to do much since you can obtain a weapon illegally.

Not wanting to stigmitize mental illness, but anyone who has sought treatment in a 2 year window are unable to buy a weapon and any weapons either need to be turned over to police or to a gun range to store your weapon until able to access it again. Additionally, after 2 year date is meant must go through a psych screening and background check. However, individuals who use firearms for their work are an exception to this rule shouldn't hinder them seeking care and evaluations of their health is at the discretion of their employer.

Ex offenders in jail for non violent offenses go through same process as those with mental health issues. Additionally, any of these offenders found with a firearm in the two year period will face a fine of $1,000, $5,000 for 2nd fine, and jail time up to a year.

Violent offenders or offenders arrested for involvment in drug trafficking will not be allowed access to firearms. Every year a check will be made on released violent offenders. If weapon is found can face upwards to $10,000 fine and weapons will be confiscated.

Fine and possibly close gun shops that illegally or circumvent rules to sell firearms. Do not allow firearms or pieces of firearms to be sold online.

Improve the watchlist and work towards narrowing percentage of error.

Increase funding to law enforcement services.

Increase funding to mental health clients, create a universal mental healthcare, create a federal mental health & addiction agency. Can slide in an immigration bill. Possibly universal healthcare, but free mental health care is a start that includes pharmaceuticals via an application filled out by a psychologist.

Change HIPPA laws for the mentally ill. Provide adequate, safe, and therapeutic longer term care options for mentally ill/homeless.

Work towards ending homelessness.

Improve care to Veterans.

Legalize marijuana.

Support open carry laws and do not place ban on weapons.

Certain weapons have certain age restrictions.

Probably hardest issue to gain support on and think if all else passes put the kabosh on it. Every firearm must be licensed and have a record where purchased, including rifles. Additionally, have to be 21 and over to purchase. Any weapons found illegally obtained will be confiscated and face a fine of up to $10,000.
And build thousands of new jails.

Old 06-24-2016, 03:26 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Just a question and I don't really expect a cogent answer.

Why is it that every single "fix" is aimed at law abiding gun owners (such as myself) and are punitive? What have we/I done to deserve punishment? I've never shot at anyone, I've never done a drive by shooting, I've never threatened a person with a gun, yet every single law adopted or proposed constrains or even punishes me and the million upon millions like me.

I posted a link earlier to a story about a local youth who has been on bail for over a year while facing 1st degree murder charges. That itself begs two questions: Why has his trial not yet been held and why was bail set so low that a habitual violent offender was able to post it?

And, as a note, I don't own any of the firearms currently under attack. They're essentially already banned in Maryland.
Guns are so readily available because they are legal. Most of the guns used in crimes are purchased legally at some point, and then stolen or resold either to people who shouldn't have them (kids and felons) or in states with strict gun laws, where they are used in inner city violence.

When you have a market flooded with guns, they are easier and cheaper to get. It's very, very, very simple. If you had no state in the country where handguns could be purchased without a permit, the amount of gun crime in the country would be drastically lower. As long as you have states within driving distance of places with basically no gun laws, they will always be available regardless of how strict state laws may be.

Old 06-24-2016, 03:31 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Quote:
And build thousands of new jails.
Only people going to jail would be ex offenders and those carrying firearms on person illegally. Everyone else would face heavy fines.

It would balance out those in jail for marijuana will be let go and no longer jailed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies