Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2016, 11:08 AM

72,874 posts, read 62,353,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I would have agreed with you until the latest changes in MA and CA were done. Although, they aren't going to "come after our guns" , they are going to soften the blow with the common sense gun legislation approach, chipping away a little bit at a time until there isn't anything left...except for the ones the criminals have in their possession.
My theory is this. It's "disarm everyone so that the criminals can't get them either". As you say, only criminals would have guns.

I will mention this. There is a theory of "Liberals want to ban guns for fear of Blacks. Conservatives want guns because they fear Blacks". Just a theory. I can't prove it for a fact. It is just something to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 11:48 AM

28,623 posts, read 18,673,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

I will mention this. There is a theory of "Liberals want to ban guns for fear of Blacks. Conservatives want guns because they fear Blacks". Just a theory. I can't prove it for a fact. It is just something to think about.
Again, I'll link Scott Adams' article.

Why Gun Control Can

Quote:
On average, Democrats (that’s my team*) use guns for shooting the innocent. We call that crime.
On average, Republicans use guns for sporting purposes and self-defense.
So it seems to me that gun control can’t be solved because Democrats are using guns to kill each other – and want it to stop – whereas Republicans are using guns to defend against Democrats. Psychologically, those are different risk profiles. And you can’t reconcile those interests, except on the margins. For example, both sides might agree that rocket launchers are a step too far. But Democrats are unlikely to talk Republicans out of gun ownership because it comes off as “Put down your gun so I can shoot you.”

Old 07-27-2016, 09:10 AM

29,428 posts, read 9,611,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Apparently, it takes these types of tragedies (truck, knives and suicide vests) to make the progs wake up. They won't change their mind though. That would mean admitting they got it wrong.
You and others just love to describe those more inclined toward gun control measures as ignorant or asleep, poking away at the ridiculous and absurd, as if "progs" don't know the difference between a gun and a person who pulls the trigger or that violence can't be perpetrated with knives or trucks or suicide vests as well...

I always think these sorts of comments are more about ego than anything intelligent, and that's to be expected of course. I also recognize there are those that go off the "deep end" when it comes to both sides of the gun control issues, largely to be ignored if any pragmatic and/or sensible middle ground is to be had. I started this thread, and I have commented many times about all that, yet these sorts of comments and pokes in the eye prevail.

On behalf of progs, I would simply say that we're not in any way confused about violence as the source of the problem and/or preventing the source of violence to be the ultimate best preventative measure. We know that guns don't kill, that people do. Give it a rest already...

We also ALL know that we are safer, less likely to be victim of gun violence AFTER we have been through security screening at the airport, right? Where, ideally, there are no more guns amidst the crowd. Also at venues like concerts, or the rodeo. I just went through a weapons search before entering the California Rodeo where no one at that venue can have any sort of weapon or even wear gang identifying clothes.

The incidents of gun violence on the other side of such screening, where people simply don't have guns or weapons, drops dramatically. Someone want to argue that fact?

Now..., before anyone suggests that progs think even clothes can kill people, please think again. Let's not be stupid, shall we?

Also as one who respects the 2A and our right to bear arms, I think we're lucky the effort toward whatever "sensible" gun control measures, whether effective or politically driven or not, at least allows some sense of doing something while allowing law-abiding citizens their ongoing right to purchase and use guns in law-abiding fashion. If gun enthusiasts are not careful with their stubbornness and rhetoric, they may actually bring the gun control they fear most. IOWs, all is not perfect, but it could be worse...

Old 07-27-2016, 09:38 AM

28,623 posts, read 18,673,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
On behalf of progs, I would simply say that we're not in any way confused about violence as the source of the problem and/or preventing the source of violence to be the ultimate best preventative measure. We know that guns don't kill, that people do. Give it a rest already...

We also ALL know that we are safer, less likely to be victim of gun violence AFTER we have been through security screening at the airport, right? Where, ideally, there are no more guns amidst the crowd. Also at venues like concerts, or the rodeo. I just went through a weapons search before entering the California Rodeo where no one at that venue can have any sort of weapon or even wear gang identifying clothes.

The incidents of gun violence on the other side of such screening, where people simply don't have guns or weapons, drops dramatically. Someone want to argue that fact?.
Why are you talking about "violence control" in miniscule venues as though those measures were to any extent practicable on the street?

If you could guarantee my daughter that she is as protected against rape on any city street as she would be in the waiting area of an airport, then you'd have a point of discussion.

Otherwise, your point is silly.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:51 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,630,885 times
Quote:
I am not a conspiracy theorist who is saying "they're after your guns". I'm just going to point to this. People are the most ardent about gun control when events like Orlando take place. That being said, most politicians know who is committing the murders. They know who gets murdered the most in their cities. They know where the majorit of murders in their cities take place. They just haven't found any solution to that issue. Pointing to guns is a convenient go to, rather than admit "I don't have any solutions".
If the anti-gun lobby can't come up with a complete list of laws they want, that means they want to take all guns. Period. It's like driving a car with no brakes.

Try it for yourself... ask someone that's pushing for more gun laws if they can give you the full list of laws that would satisfy them. You know, if they had a magic wand to create any gun law they wanted. When would they stop waving?

They can't do it, but it's fun to watch them squirm. And for bonus fun, ask them what gun laws are ineffective that should be repealed. This isn't a "conspiracy theory", this is something real and tangible that you can test yourself.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:44 AM

50,151 posts, read 46,802,981 times
Quote:
You and others just love to describe those more inclined toward gun control measures as ignorant or asleep, poking away at the ridiculous and absurd, as if "progs" don't know the difference between a gun and a person who pulls the trigger or that violence can't be perpetrated with knives or trucks or suicide vests as well...

I always think these sorts of comments are more about ego than anything intelligent, and that's to be expected of course. I also recognize there are those that go off the "deep end" when it comes to both sides of the gun control issues, largely to be ignored if any pragmatic and/or sensible middle ground is to be had. I started this thread, and I have commented many times about all that, yet these sorts of comments and pokes in the eye prevail.

The incidents of gun violence on the other side of such screening, where people simply don't have guns or weapons, drops dramatically. Someone want to argue that fact?

Now..., before anyone suggests that progs think even clothes can kill people, please think again. Let's not be stupid, shall we?

Also as one who respects the 2A and our right to bear arms, I think we're lucky the effort toward whatever "sensible" gun control measures, whether effective or politically driven or not, at least allows some sense of doing something while allowing law-abiding citizens their ongoing right to purchase and use guns in law-abiding fashion. If gun enthusiasts are not careful with their stubbornness and rhetoric, they may actually bring the gun control they fear most. IOWs, all is not perfect, but it could be worse...
The all or nothing saber rattling doesn't really work anymore. You progs make it sound like "enthusiasts" are the reason and the cause behind this nonsensical attempts at gun control. You guys and gals are the driving force behind it! For every criminal act you progs want to disarm more law abiding gun owners who have never had a criminal record. Not only that but your fears are attempting to make legal Americans criminals by passing legislation your idiot leaders don't even understand yet pass it anyway to keep you progs happy so you'll keep voting for them.

Existing laws aren't being enforced. New ridiculous laws are also not being enforced. What exactly are you guys trying to accomplish? There is no logic in any of it. It's pure emotion and fear.

If you progs are not careful you may actually light another civil war. Which is what will happen before "ultimate gun control".

Old 07-27-2016, 12:31 PM

25,800 posts, read 16,447,729 times
Most legal gun owners are republican. Most gun murderers are Democrats.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:37 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,282,509 times
If all the blacks moved to Canada and all the browns moved to Mexico what would happen to America's gun violence problem?

Old 07-27-2016, 12:39 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,293,292 times
Quote:
And the innocent are often killed by criminals, not law abiding citizens.
Seriously? The number one gun death is suicide by a wide margin.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:40 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,497,374 times
Quote:
What could actually work to fix gun violence in America.
Kill all those that vote Democrat. That would solve many, many issues confronting liberty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies