U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 06:42 PM

3,299 posts, read 1,854,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Wrong again. Low opinion of public schools? Have you seen the horrendous statistics regarding public schools recently? Graduates who can't read. Graduates who can't answer basic questions regarding history or government? Yeah, public schools have failed our children in tons of ways.

Teachers? Nothing wrong with most teachers, it is the teachers' unions that are the problem.

I really love how you think you speak for conservatives. Are you a conservative?
Amusing that you confirm my observation at the same time you take offense to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 06:43 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,788,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarArt1980 View Post
More than just bashing every liberal idea, I'm legitimately curious what the conservative solution is. Please enlighten me.
You don't stop investigating someone because the person who alerted you to him is thought to be a bigot. Take it seriously and follow them for at least a year without letting them know you are checking on them then you might catch them in the act.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:43 PM

5,382 posts, read 2,179,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Maybe because the only way the left addresses the issue is more restrictions on guns?

Gun control is a hardware based solution to a software based problem.

Put another way:

Conservatives believe government action is an obstacle to our freedom.

Progressive leftist believe our freedom is an obstacle to government action.

h/t Ben Shapiro

Old 06-23-2016, 06:46 PM

8,101 posts, read 7,585,675 times
From these stories that follow in the links, it does sound like there are some loopholes that could at least be looked into and not just be brushed aside as infringing on the rights to arm oneself within reason.

Sampling from this link

How Roseburg, Newtown, and other mass shooters got their guns.
Date: Sept. 16, 2013
Perpetrator:
Aaron Alexis
Gun:
Alexis began the attack with a Remington 870 12-gauge shotgun (he also took a 9 mm pistol from a police officer at the scene after shooting him). He killed 12 people and injured eight before killing himself.
How he got it:
Two days before the massacre, Alexis bought his shotgun at a store in Northern Virginia that claims to be the “only gun shop inside the Beltway.” He initially inquired about buying a handgun, but because he was from out of state, the store would have had to ship it to a dealer in his home state. That’s when he went for the shotgun. Though he’d been arrested in 2004 after shooting out the tires of another man’s car and in 2010 after shooting his gun (accidentally, he said) through his ceiling into the apartment of his upstairs neighbor, neither charge was enough to sully his Virginia background check.

sample from the following link.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...guns.html?_r=0
  • Mr. Houser was denied a state-issued concealed weapons permit because he was accused of domestic violence and soliciting arson.

A judge ordered him sent to a psychiatric hospital.

Mr. Houser bought the weapon in Alabama. Officials said it had been purchased legally, though he had been denied a concealed weapons permit earlier, and despite concerns among family members that he was violent and mentally ill.
  • July 23, 2015

He killed two people in Lafayette.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Amusing that you confirm my observation at the same time you take offense to it.
I did not confirm your observation. As a conservative I support school choice, including charter and home schooling. I have great respect for teachers. The issue is the unions not the people who teach.

Do you deny that our education system fails our children? Do you deny that a 76% HS graduation rate is not a symptom of problems within the public schools?

Approximately 80 percent of NYC high school grads can’t read well enough for community college | The Daily Caller

The U.S. Illiteracy Rate Hasn't Changed In 10 Years

19% of HS students can't read and that has not changed in the last 10 years.

High School Graduates Still Struggle With College Readiness | US News

Three-quarters of high school grads are failing

At least my issue with public schools is based on hard data and not bigotry and assumption which was the basis of your post.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:52 PM

3,461 posts, read 1,836,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
You must be watching the sit in'. Did you know that both left and right had proposals that the other side did not vote on/for?
Exactly!!!!!!! It's all about positioning for the upcoming election. If you look at polls it's divided just about 50/50 on regulation vs. gun rights, so it nullifies the issue. It shouldn't be about politics, but ..........

Old 06-23-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
From these stories that follow in the links, it does sound like there are some loopholes that could at least be looked into and not just be brushed aside as infringing on the rights to arm oneself within reason.

Sampling from this link

How Roseburg, Newtown, and other mass shooters got their guns.
Date: Sept. 16, 2013
Perpetrator: Aaron Alexis
Gun: Alexis began the attack with a Remington 870 12-gauge shotgun (he also took a 9 mm pistol from a police officer at the scene after shooting him). He killed 12 people and injured eight before killing himself.
How he got it: Two days before the massacre, Alexis bought his shotgun at a store in Northern Virginia that claims to be the “only gun shop inside the Beltway.” He initially inquired about buying a handgun, but because he was from out of state, the store would have had to ship it to a dealer in his home state. That’s when he went for the shotgun. Though he’d been arrested in 2004 after shooting out the tires of another man’s car and in 2010 after shooting his gun (accidentally, he said) through his ceiling into the apartment of his upstairs neighbor, neither charge was enough to sully his Virginia background check.

sample from the following link.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...guns.html?_r=0
  • Mr. Houser was denied a state-issued concealed weapons permit because he was accused of domestic violence and soliciting arson.

A judge ordered him sent to a psychiatric hospital.

Mr. Houser bought the weapon in Alabama. Officials said it had been purchased legally, though he had been denied a concealed weapons permit earlier, and despite concerns among family members that he was violent and mentally ill.
  • July 23, 2015

He killed two people in Lafayette.
What laws that are not currently in effect would change the results of what took place in these instances? Background check laws were in effect during the times of these incidents. Failure on the part of the gun seller, the killer's family, etc. are anecdotal in nature and infringing on the rights of the majority law abiding gun owners should NOT be based on anecdotal instances.

Instead of focusing on the weapons, why not look at the other factors that were involved like mental illness or the locations (gun free zones) where the shootings took place. Look at the individual motives behind the shootings. Terrorist attack like Fort Hood or Orlando? School Shootings were there are no armed individuals to hamper a criminal intent on murder? No one ever looks at the other factors to see if there is a solution. It is always the gun that is the cause when it comes to the intentions of the left. Maybe if everyone on both sides of the aisle would focus on the other factors, a real solution might be found.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:21 PM

7,663 posts, read 12,232,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarArt1980 View Post
More than just bashing every liberal idea, I'm legitimately curious what the conservative solution is. Please enlighten me.
As a compromise, I would be okay with banning gun sales to foreign nationals on the terrorism watch list and individuals with ties to FOREIGN terrorist organizations, which would cover ISIS and Al-Qaeda.

The way the list is currently compiled, it is used as a way to go after conservatives, Christians, and others opposed to Obama. For example there are pro-life activists on the list. Obama is notorious for using the federal government's power to go after those who oppose him like with the IRS scandal where Lois Lerner was ordered to focus on investigating conservative groups but not liberal groups and the politically motivated prosecution of Dinesh D'Souza.

If we pass blanket gun bans in response to Orlando, we would be giving in to Muslim terrorism. Orlando and San Bernardino were Muslim terror attacks, not mass shootings. What SHOULD have been done after Orlando but wasn't was stepping up airstrikes against ISIS in the Middle East. Even the French increased their military campaign after the Paris attacks.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:25 PM

3,299 posts, read 1,854,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
I did not confirm your observation. As a conservative I support school choice, including charter and home schooling. I have great respect for teachers. The issue is the unions not the people who teach.

Do you deny that our education system fails our children? Do you deny that a 76% HS graduation rate is not a symptom of problems within the public schools?

At least my issue with public schools is based on hard data and not bigotry and assumption which was the basis of your post.
You're being way too defensive. Of course our public school system has problems, and nowhere did I state or imply it is above criticism. What I stated was "[c]onservatives in America generally have a low opinion of public schools and public school teachers." And generally, that is true. You're welcome to parse that comment and state you're a conservative who has a low opinion of public schools, but "great respect" for public school teachers; while treating teachers unions as some sort of separate entity from the public school teachers you greatly respect. But if you're honest, and if you do the slightest bit of websurfing, you'll find criticism of public schools and teachers (and teachers unions) a consistent theme among the right.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:32 PM

7,310 posts, read 4,916,599 times
Stop focusing on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or