Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 11:45 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,652,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post

The thing that I disagree with is your classification here. The AR-15 is not a military weapon, the military version is not handicapped to have a single shot mechanism only, it has a burst shot capability making its capacity to do serious and rapid mass damage significantly higher.
Personally speaking its not the AR-15's abilities, rather its the way the gun looks. When I see a double barrel shotgun I think about bird dogs and quail, and when I see a AR-15 I think about the military (and military combat.)

And I know some mass murderers will be inspired by seeing assault weapons and then get thoughts of killing large numbers of people, and I would rather have traditional hunting/home protection guns in the hands of the general public.

Quote:
A somewhat trained and capable person could load themselves up with 3-4 hand guns with extra magazines and do just as much damage as someone with an AR-15 or other "assault weapon" as they are being referred to.
In certain situations more damage could be done with a 17 shot pistol or a hunting rifle.

The AR-15 is hard to transport and hide, its long length limits movement, and its large size makes the gun easy to take away, but a semi-automatic handgun has none of those problems. And a traditional hunting rifle is more accurate and has a longer range than the AR-15.

Quote:
On the claim that they can shoot for miles, well thats just an exaggeration. I'm not an expert but I've read a lot of people who reference the fact that hitting a target at 1000m would be very difficult, and thats only just over half a mile.
The 1000m would be the effective range of the gun (the distance where you can regularly hit the target), but the bullet travels much further.

The tiny .22 bullet will travel 1.5 miles.
How far does a .22 travel? - Handguns and Ammunition Forums

And forum member ArimoDave at ar15.com says the AR-15's bullet will travel slightly more than 5 miles when shot at a 30 degree angle.
https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.h...f=118&t=424352

Quote:
When it comes to "shooting through 5 walls and killing your neighbor" thats a discussion for someone more well versed than I, but in an ideal situation I don't think an AR15 would be ideal for close quarters home intruders, and there are ammo choices that can limit this type of over penetration.
It seems everyone has their own opinion in the assault weapons debate, but personally in today's America I don't like assault weapons in the hands of the general population.

Chad.

Last edited by chad3; 06-29-2016 at 12:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

Quiz time!

Chad, please tell us which one of these is the "standard semi automatic hunting rifle" and which one is the AR-15:
Since I'm scared to cheat (online research) in Mrs. Three Wolves In Snow's class I will make an educated guess and say "all of them."

Quote:
You should be able to pick them out pretty quickly with all of your extensive knowledge on the subject.
My father grew up avidly hunting and collecting guns and most of what I know about guns came from him, and I'm no gun expert. My gun knowledge mainly comes from speeches my father would give me as a child,

"Son I'm going to start you off with a bb gun so you can learn how to shoot, then I'll get you a pellet gun. Once you master the pellet gun I'm gonna get you a 410 shotgun, I'd get you a 20 gauge but I think its gonna have too much kick. Then when you master the 410 I'll get you a .22, but remember rifle bullets travel far and you can't shoot them like shotguns. And when your older you can handle all my guns, but if you touch them before I say your ready I'm gonna tan your as-."

Your post sure brought out some fond memories, thank you.
Chad.

Last edited by chad3; 06-29-2016 at 01:08 AM..

Old 06-29-2016, 02:13 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Since I'm scared to cheat (online research) in Mrs. Three Wolves In Snow's class I will make an educated guess and say "all of them."

My father grew up avidly hunting and collecting guns and most of what I know about guns came from him, and I'm no gun expert. My gun knowledge mainly comes from speeches my father would give me as a child,

"Son I'm going to start you off with a bb gun so you can learn how to shoot, then I'll get you a pellet gun. Once you master the pellet gun I'm gonna get you a 410 shotgun, I'd get you a 20 gauge but I think its gonna have too much kick. Then when you master the 410 I'll get you a .22, but remember rifle bullets travel far and you can't shoot them like shotguns. And when your older you can handle all my guns, but if you touch them before I say your ready I'm gonna tan your as-."

Your post sure brought out some fond memories, thank you.
Chad.

That explains a lot Chad - a real Freudian post there kid

Blame your dad, not guns.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:31 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Personally speaking its not the AR-15's abilities, rather its the way the gun looks. When I see a double barrel shotgun I think about bird dogs and quail, and when I see a AR-15 I think about the military (and military combat.)

And I know some mass murderers will be inspired by seeing assault weapons and then get thoughts of killing large numbers of people, and I would rather have traditional hunting/home protection guns in the hands of the general public.

In certain situations more damage could be done with a 17 shot pistol or a hunting rifle.

The AR-15 is hard to transport and hide, its long length limits movement, and its large size makes the gun easy to take away, but a semi-automatic handgun has none of those problems. And a traditional hunting rifle is more accurate and has a longer range than the AR-15.

The 1000m would be the effective range of the gun (the distance where you can regularly hit the target), but the bullet travels much further.

The tiny .22 bullet will travel 1.5 miles.
How far does a .22 travel? - Handguns and Ammunition Forums

And forum member ArimoDave at ar15.com says the AR-15's bullet will travel slightly more than 5 miles when shot at a 30 degree angle.
https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.h...f=118&t=424352

It seems everyone has their own opinion in the assault weapons debate, but personally in today's America I don't like assault weapons in the hands of the general population.

Chad.
"Personally speaking its not the AR-15's abilities, rather its the way the gun looks. When I see a double barrel shotgun I think about bird dogs and quail, and when I see a AR-15 I think about the military (and military combat.)

Which PROVES maybe you should NOT think.

Let's see, I "think" you are crook therfore, we should arrest you because of the way you "look".

Mature, very mature.

"And I know some mass murderers will be inspired by seeing assault weapons"

This WHY you should NOT think.

It has been explained hundreds of times, maybe thousands, that the AR-15 is NOT an "Assault" weapon" and you CONTINUE to claim that it is still one.

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
-John
Wayne

Old 06-29-2016, 07:49 PM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

It has been explained hundreds of times, maybe thousands, that the AR-15 is NOT an "Assault" weapon" and you CONTINUE to claim that it is still one.
Assault weapon (definition)- semi-automatic firearms with a detachable magazine and a pistol grip, and sometimes other features such as a flash suppressor or barrel shroud.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_weapon

Assault Weapons | Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

The AR-15 has all of the above features, and it is a "assault weapon."

But the above definitions of a "assault weapon" were created socially, politically, and for legal matters. So lets look at the definition of a "assault weapon" in the Merriam-Webster dictionary.

Assault weapon: any of various automatic or semiautomatic firearms; especially : assault rifle
Assault Weapon | Definition of Assault Weapon by Merriam-Webster

Assault rifle: a gun that can shoot many bullets quickly and that is designed for use by the military.
Assault Rifle | Definition of Assault Rifle by Merriam-Webster

The prototype AR-15 rifle was designed by ArmaLite as a weapon for military purposes. And the AR-15 eventually became the US Military's M16 rifle.

The AR-15 (is a direct outward copy of), modeled by, and created from the M-16.

The AR-15 is a "assault weapon" and "assault rifle" (or so damn close you can't say it is or isn't.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-15

Old 06-29-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

Blame your dad, not guns.
What did my father do wrong?

And I'm not blaming all guns, rather I'm blaming "assault weapons."

Old 06-30-2016, 05:32 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
[quote=chad3;44593481]
Quote:

Assault weapon (definition)- semi-automatic firearms with a detachable magazine and a pistol grip, and sometimes other features such as a flash suppressor or barrel shroud.

But the above definitions of a "assault weapon" were created socially, politically, and for legal matters. So lets look at the definition of a "assault weapon" in the Merriam-Webster dictionary.

Assault weapon: any of various automatic or semiautomatic firearms; especially : assault rifle

Assault rifle: a gun that can shoot many bullets quickly and that is designed for use by the military.

The prototype AR-15 rifle was designed by ArmaLite as a weapon for military purposes. And the AR-15 eventually became the US Military's M16 rifle.

The AR-15 is a "assault weapon" and "assault rifle" (or so damn close you can't say it is or isn't.)

Sorry to burst your liberal bubble but, EVERYTHING you read on the Internet is NOT true.

The United states MILITARY has defined what an assault weapon is and NONE of your bogus definitions are CORRECT?

"The prototype AR-15 rifle was designed by ArmaLite as a weapon for military purposes. And the AR-15 eventually became the US Military's M16 rifle.

The AR-15 is a "assault weapon" and "assault rifle" (or so damn close you can't say it is or isn't.)"

For the THOUSANDTH time you are DEAD WRONG.

Are you THAT dense, or stupid, that you CANNOT understand the difference between FULL-automatic and SEMI-automatic?

I repeat:
"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
-John
Wayne

Old 06-30-2016, 06:16 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,791,405 times
Making things illegal for civilians works. It would be even more preferable for a mass killer to use a tank instead of an AR-15 as a tank could do more damage than an AR-15.

But you don't see many terrorist attacks conducted with tanks simply because it's illegal for a civilian to have one that can fire shells.

If it were legal, I guarantee you we would be seeing mass killings by tank.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:29 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Quiz time!

Chad, please tell us which one of these is the "standard semi automatic hunting rifle" and which one is the AR-15:

You should be able to pick them out pretty quickly with all of your extensive knowledge on the subject.
Quote:

Using that vast information and knowledge, why not answer the mans question above.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:45 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
Making things illegal for civilians works. It would be even more preferable for a mass killer to use a tank instead of an AR-15 as a tank could do more damage than an AR-15.

But you don't see many terrorist attacks conducted with tanks simply because it's illegal for a civilian to have one that can fire shells.

If it were legal, I guarantee you we would be seeing mass killings by tank.

No it isn't! Same as it isn't illegal to own a cannon. It is easier to get those, than a new machine gun.

The problem with an 80mm projectile, the shells are hard to find and/or reproduce efficiently and consistently.
It cost a small fortune to maintain and the initial cost of the tank, even an old Sherman, means it will not be some impoverished depressed guy with nothing left to lose, buying it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies