Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 05:46 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times

Advertisements

The US homicide rate in 2014, the most recent year available, was 4.5 per 100,000. The 2014 total follows a long downward trend and is the lowest homicide rate recorded since 1963 when the rate was 4.6 per 100,000. To find a lower homicide rate, we must travel back to 1957 when the total homicide rate hit 4.0 per 100,000.

Over the last 20 years, gun ownership has increased by 141%.

Table that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 05:47 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Ben Carson would put it on the table and keep it on the table. When the body guards give up their guns, when the bad guys give up their guns , then we will look at it again.Till then , we keep our guns.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:52 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
The US homicide rate in 2014, the most recent year available, was 4.5 per 100,000. The 2014 total follows a long downward trend and is the lowest homicide rate recorded since 1963 when the rate was 4.6 per 100,000. To find a lower homicide rate, we must travel back to 1957 when the total homicide rate hit 4.0 per 100,000.

Over the last 20 years, gun ownership has increased by 141%.

Table that
Stop. You are making sense and utilizing data showing a corollary that is counter to what people want to believe in regards to firearms and the boogeyman.

Tricky facts. Lol

Old 06-25-2016, 06:53 PM

892 posts, read 1,576,922 times
I am a Military Veteran and I believe in People's rights to own firearms...I qualified many times over as a marksman on the M16 and anyone who has served like me has served, in part, to protect such rights.

However....

I completely flat out don't understand how there is even a gun control argument to begin with????

How does regulating and/or banning certain types of firearms infringe on people's rights when you can still own many, many other types of guns???

If gun control laws are expanded to include assault type weapons and those laws are executed.....

Wouldn't people still be armed to protect themselves with other types of firearms????

Last time I checked, ALL GUNS are made to FATALY wound someone.

Again....

As someone who served this country I am flat out sick of these crazy, rabid gun nuts that think that the government is coming to take their guns and there 2nd amendment at the same time...

Let's say that did happen....So, who do you think the government is going to send to your house to collect such guns????

A politician in a suit from Washington?......NO

Perhaps President Obama himself (after all he's not an American right?).....NO

It's going to be a National Guardsman from your state....he's probably about 20 years old, wearing camo, went to high school with the neighborhood kids and he is at your house executing an order given to him by his trusted chain of command......

Are you going to shoot that young man????

And if you are (a maniac) do you really need a high capacity assault weapon to do so???

Most of the gun nuts that I run into these days have never even served in the Military..to scared?

Probably for the best though....as the Military HIGHLY REGULATES any personally owned weapons by it's members that live anywhere in the dorms or in base housing.

You aren't even allowed to keep them on your person....they must be registered and stored under the control of the base police force at the armory. If you want to see and/or use your PERSONALLY OWNED FIREARMS you have to sign them out at the Security Forces Armory....

Imagine that....the good ole' military having a bunch of gun regulations to keep the peace on base between people of different walks of life, colors, religions, ect that live in fairly close proximity to each other.

Madness.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
I am a Military Veteran and I believe in People's rights to own firearms...I qualified many times over as a marksman on the M16 and anyone who has served like me has served, in part, to protect such rights.

However....

I completely flat out don't understand how there is even a gun control argument to begin with????

How does regulating and/or banning certain types of firearms infringe on people's rights when you can still own many, many other types of guns???

If gun control laws are expanded to include assault type weapons and those laws are executed.....

Wouldn't people still be armed to protect themselves with other types of firearms????

Again....

As someone who served this country I am flat out sick of these crazy, rabid gun nuts that think that the government is coming to take their guns and there 2nd amendment at the same time...

Let's say that did happen....So, who do you think the government is going to send to your house to collect such guns????

It's going to be a National Guardsman from your state....he's probably about 20 years old, wearing camo, went to high school with the neighborhood kids and he is at your house executing an order given to him by his trusted chain of command......

And if you are (a maniac) do you really need a high capacity assault weapon to do so???

Most of the gun nuts that I run into these days have never even served in the Military..to scared?

Probably for the best though....as the Military HIGHLY REGULATES any personally owned weapons by it's members that live anywhere in the dorms or in base housing.

You aren't even allowed to keep them on your person....they must be registered and stored under the control of the base police force at the armory. If you want to see and/or use your PERSONALLY OWNED FIREARMS you have to sign them out at the Security Forces Armory....

Imagine that....the good ole' military having a bunch of gun regulations to keep the peace on base between people of different walks of life, colors, religions, ect that live in fairly close proximity to each other.

Madness.
I too served. 8 years in the Air Force. I also sold my 45 and shotgun to help pay for divorce. I currently own nothing and, while target shooting is fun, I didn't do it often. Being married, and having lots of different hobbies, I usually went with something else.

However, the point n rigorously defending semi-auto rifles and the accompanying magazine is to keep incrementalism at bay. It's similar to speech, or assembly. I don't buy into slippery slope arguments, but I do buy into precedence.

Why should we not limit known hate groups, like the kkk, from assembly? Or neo-fascist skinheads from a rally? It is dangerous and often leads to confrontation.

Start limiting this, then the next shooting is with a 15 magazine glock. Now we have to limit that.

No, the government is not coming for a persons guns... But we also shouldn't allow it to keep pushing the bar.

Last edited by Stymie13; 06-25-2016 at 07:17 PM..

Old 06-25-2016, 07:15 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post

However....

Again....

Madness.
Great post.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:26 PM

50,794 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
You didn't say anything of substance yet again. I'll ask this question again and lets see if you answer with substance.
Why listen to Ben Carson?
Ben Carson has a POV. We ought to listen to all POVs. I didn't think he was a suitable candidate for the presidency, but I do think he believes in reasoning out issues. You ought to try it.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:17 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Guns don't cause the violence. LOL

We would still have all the underlying problems without them.
But violence is made easy by having easy access to guns.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
But violence is made easy by having easy access to guns.
And speech is made easy by easy access to a plethora of mediums.

And assembly is made easy by the vast amounts of public space.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:22 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
And speech is made easy by easy access to a plethora of mediums.

And assembly is made easy by the vast amounts of public space.
But they don't have the power to kill do they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies