U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 10:37 AM

77,900 posts, read 33,233,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Carson said let's have a discussion based the data, and talk about it like intelligent people.

The data overwhelmingly supports the pro-gun position, so I'm all for this issue being decided by data, reason, and facts.
There is nothing to discuss. The courts have already ruled......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 10:44 AM

58,052 posts, read 40,801,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Ben Carson is so much more an adult than the democrats with their sit in and yelling. Ben was saying they don't even talk about an issue in an intelligent manner. He is not saying we don't need the second amendment. Of course we do and Ben knows it.
IF Ben Carson was really an adult he wouldn't make childish inane statements like the ACA being worse for this country than the Civil War, WW I, WW II, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, etc., etc., etc.

He's apparently making a lame attempt at maintaining a relevancy he imagines he once had.

Last edited by burdell; 06-24-2016 at 10:53 AM..

Old 06-24-2016, 10:56 AM

14,106 posts, read 6,059,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I hate guns. Hate them. Refuse to have one in my home. However, I do not want a single one of those original 10 amendments touched, so leave the %^*# 2nd amendment alone.
Me too! I was speaking to someone who immigrated here from Russia yesterday, and he was very adamant that the 2nd amendment is crucial in a free society. He remembers being completely helpless, and he doesn't want that right taken away here. He was also very worried about the direction we are headed. Almost every person I have talked to from former Societ Bloc countries is the same way. They love the freedom they have here. They hated growing up under communism. It really made me think what it must feel like to grow up under a totalitarian government where you can't even choose your career, can barely afford to have a family.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:10 PM

22,055 posts, read 10,266,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Let's put Ben Carson and his totalitarian suggestions on the shelf.
Republicans turning against their own. I love it.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:11 PM

12,982 posts, read 12,214,794 times
Quote:
  • You have a right to drink, but it has been deemed constitutional that children don't.
  • You have a right to vote, but it has been deemed constitutional that felons don't in many states.
  • You have freedom of speech, but it has been deemed constitutional that you don't have a right to yell fire in a crowded theater.
  • The press enjoys Freedom of the Press, but they are still subjected to libel laws.
How about we not be intellectually dishonest.

Pretzel logic, and no I am NOT being intellectually dishonest. So it's okay to regulate and update other Amendments (as Trump is planning to do with the 1st Amendment), but the 2nd is completely untouchable.

Just a gentle reminder that we are no longer living in 1791.....a few things have changed since then.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Carson said let's have a discussion based the data, and talk about it like intelligent people.

The data overwhelmingly supports the pro-gun position, so I'm all for this issue being decided by data, reason, and facts.
"The data"? Does that data you prefer also include what the polls say about gun control?

Old 06-24-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There is nothing to discuss. The courts have already ruled......
A constitutional amendment is still a topic that can be discussed.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:14 PM

62,634 posts, read 34,138,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
"Let’s Put 2nd Amendment ‘On the Table’ and Ask Whether We Need it or Not"

No. That's not what he said.
The exact words: "Let's put the 2nd Amendment ON THE TABLE and ask what is the reason for the 2nd amendment"

On the video around 1:20 minute mark.

http://therightscoop.com/lets-put-th...it-ben-carson/

Old 06-24-2016, 12:45 PM

4,279 posts, read 4,063,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Republicans turning against their own. I love it.
Absolutely. It's better than blindly following their leaders no matter what they say. We have a set of standards we want them to follow or we kick them to the curb and replace them.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:18 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,098,988 times
Quote:
I hate guns. Hate them. Refuse to have one in my home. However, I do not want a single one of those original 10 amendments touched, so leave the %^*# 2nd amendment alone.
Quote:
Not that it is going to happen, but yes. There is nothing confusing about my statement.
I beg to differ....because it left me scratching my head.

You hate guns and I hate guns. And, I'd bet, for much the same, sound reasons. And all the while they have been bringing pain and anguish to families across this land for eons, they have done absolutely nothing - nothing - to stop, or even slow, the continuing erosion of our personal freedoms by geometrically advancing government encroachment that today smothers us like a global blanket of poison gas.

There is no good in guns - only evil. That is why you and I hate them. The millions convinced that we need them, and defend-to-the-death their distribution to every last demented soul who wants one, do so in knee-jerk repetition of the programming in their upbringing. And because they're content to spend the rest of their lives figuratively chasing their tails by arming themselves against the result of their own 2nd amendment advocacy. The 2nd amendment has been a liability, not an asset, in our culture for more than 100 years.

But back to my confusion. If you truly hate guns, as you stated you do, it makes little sense that you would stand in the way of a debate that includes a vision for our future that takes us beyond the savagery they ensure. Putting the 2nd amendment "on the table" for re-evaluation is long overdue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or