Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should We Keep or End Affirmative Action?
We Should Keep Affirmative Action 14 12.61%
We Should End Affirmative Action 97 87.39%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 07:33 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,973,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
What about Legacy types? Do you really think George Bush had the smarts and grades to get into Yale, on his academic merit, without help from Daddy and as a Legacy admittance? Legacy is another name for affirmative action for the rich and well connected. So where is the meritocracy in that?

Awaiting response.
In one sense I'm OK with this but only if they pay in full and take no financial aid. People that can pay in full with no assistance should be able to do so because higher education is essentially a free market product to be purchased. The other stipulation though is that they are held to the same standards as everyone else in terms of work/grades. Any resume would look great with Harvard on it, but if you have to explain why you failed out of Harvard thats a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 07:37 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,574,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Drop race from applications period.

Why aren't you breaking down so-called "blacks" in the same way you have done for Asians?

You mentioned East Asians, South Asians and South East Asians. Why don't you mention African, Afro-Caribbeans and Africa-Americans?

But you come with some "blacks." Color/race-obsessed people...SMH.
I was referring to UCLA and UC Berkeley with 40% Asians and about 3% blacks. It's a lot easier to slice 40% than..... 3%. Are you seriously slow?

Old 06-23-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post

And actually besides money, I also think there should be help for kids that just don't even know how to apply for schools. I remember seeing a kid on CNN once...the details are foggy because it was a while ago, but he literally started applying to schools and got either confused or frustrated by the process because there were some legitimate issues with it, so he gave up. He had something like a 3.5 or 3.8 GPA in highschool and just basically never finished applying because the process was so screwed up, maybe it was the financial aid application process too, I cant remember all the details. But lets make sure its easy to do for those that are capable whether its money or understanding how/why they should.
I am sorry to tell you this....if a 17/18 year old, in this internet age, does not know how to navigate or figure out the college application or financial aid process, he/she has no business going to college.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
I am sorry to tell you this....if a 17/18 year old, in this internet age, does not know how to navigate or figure out the college application or financial aid process, he/she has no business going to college.
I'd normally think similar too, but this kid/situation was different. Like I said, I unfortunately don't remember the details, but I just remember watching the 3-4minute story thinking "wow, thats messed up" and I'm not usually the type to go super easy on people. It was also a few years ago before the online process was as hammered out and streamlined as it is now.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I'd normally think similar too, but this kid/situation was different. Like I said, I unfortunately don't remember the details, but I just remember watching the 3-4minute story thinking "wow, thats messed up" and I'm not usually the type to go super easy on people. It was also a few years ago before the online process was as hammered out and streamlined as it is now.
What are you talking about? Internet was widely available since the mid 90's.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:56 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
The ability to go to ANY college or university should be based on academic merit ONLY!
Nonsense. That makes no sense whatsoever.

That's pretty much the end of extracurricular activities like sports that make gazillions for major universities.

Sorry, but the high achieving kid with test scores through the roof just isn't as valuable to UCLA or Stanford as that superstar linebacker that can barely qualify to get in college.

Schools don't want campuses full of eggheads...and I don't blame them.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
What are you talking about? Internet was widely available since the mid 90's.
Of course it was, but the eveloution and ease of use of a website, not to mention the integration of schools/financial aid applications and universal application processes in 1990 vs. 2000 vs. 2010 vs today is WORLDS different. The evolution of the web user experience between 1990 and today is like comparing a car with no power breaks or power steering to a modern day race car.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:02 PM

You said "few years ago," which means that it was probably round 2010. That's about 15 years after the internet has become widely available. There might be speed difference between the 90s and 2010, but the information and ability to search information hasn't changed much. And, there is virtually no difference between 2010 and 2016.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:05 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,387,265 times
Quote:
If Affirmative Action is totally abolished at private and public universities, there will be 40% Asians at Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, MIT, etc. and blacks will go from double digit percentage to like 2%. Are you okay with that?
yes

Old 06-23-2016, 08:07 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,968,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nonsense. That makes no sense whatsoever.

That's pretty much the end of extracurricular activities like sports that make gazillions for major universities.

Sorry, but the high achieving kid with test scores through the roof just isn't as valuable to UCLA or Stanford as that superstar linebacker that can barely qualify to get in college.

Schools don't want campuses full of eggheads...and I don't blame them.
Thank you for pointing that out. I deliberately did not mention sports scholarships, because IMO they are asinine. College is for academics. Oh, yes, I suppose jocks have their place, after all, the alumni give lots of money to the schools for the sports nuts, and the jocks get all kinds of academic help to ensure that they qualify to play, and it can be a stepping stone to the "commercial" sports teams, and the jocks will be able to get medical assistance when their brains get too scrambled from repeated concussions for them to be productive members of society.
The amazing thing is that so many people think this is a wonderful thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies