Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 05:53 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,950,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
This guy was granted immunity and still invoked the 5th 125 times in 90 minutes.
If you ever found yourself a small guy caught up in a very big game, you'd be a complete idiot to not plead the Fifth. Immunity sounds great, until a lawyer whose hourly fee is larger than your house payment starts picking it apart. Any 2nd-year law student would tell you that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
He has no reason to be afraid of the FBI as long as he told them everything.
That's very trusting. Alternately he can plead the Fifth and not have to trust their guarantees.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I don't care if he took advice from his mother. Most rational people see it as something to hide. If someone doesn't have something to hide, they or their lawyer doesn't tell them to "plead the 5th!" over and over again in the non-bizarro world.
There's a purpose to the Fifth. In fact, its exact purpose is to keep that sort of Star Chamber logic from reoccurring.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:07 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,351,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That's very trusting. Alternately he can plead the Fifth and not have to trust their guarantees.
I thought defendants have blanket immunity from being forced to testify by pleading the fifth. Witnesses do not I thought, and a immunity guarantee can be used to compel a witness to testify I believe. IE with immunity you no longer have a fifth amendment guarantee when testifying against someone else.

Just feeling too lazy to google it all at the moment.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:48 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,342,968 times
Quote:
Except for the 125 questions he didn't answer.
It wasn't the FBI asking. Nor was it a criminal case. It was a civil court witch hunt from judicial watch, who already knew what he was going to say, but kept asking, over and over.

No lawyer in his right mind would let someone talk in a civil case, with a criminal investigation still not closed.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:15 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,586,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post

Simply incorrect. There are places where Clinton was obviously wrong but no where that she has been shown to have lied.
Reminds me of tonight's episode of Game of Thrones:

You lied!

I didn't lie. I was wrong.

Aye, you were wrong. How many died because you were wrong?

Let's all pretend that Hillary hasn't lied. We'll pretend she's been wrong over and over and over again.

I don't want someone with that kind of record of *being wrong* in charge of anything.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:02 AM

41,815 posts, read 51,008,283 times
Quote:
Except for the 125 questions he didn't answer.
I'll try and explain this one more time. Pagliano has been interviewed by the FBI, it's for that interview he has been granted limited immunity. The keyword here is limited. Anything he has told them in that interview cannot be used to prosecute him unless he's lying or divulges it elsewhere. If any or all of those 125 questions were asked of him during that FBI interview it's within his best interests to tell them.

The reason he plead the fifth and the reason the judge allowed him to plead the fifth is because his immunity does not extend to those court proceedings, anything he said could of been used to prosecute him. This court hearing is a side show, what he told the FBI and how they are going to use that information is the main event.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
If the FBI burns him no lawyer on the planet is going to advise their client to take such a deal in the future.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
... and a immunity guarantee can be used to compel a witness to testify I believe.
I would assume if they want him to testify in court they would have to extend it to full immunity. I would also assume his agreement includes such a stipulation.

As I mentioned before I would not be surprised if the FBI and/or Pagliano's attorney set it up this way purposely so he could plead the fifth in other court proceedings.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:43 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,089,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
It wasn't the FBI asking. Nor was it a criminal case. It was a civil court witch hunt from judicial watch, who already knew what he was going to say, but kept asking, over and over.

No lawyer in his right mind would let someone talk in a civil case, with a criminal investigation still not closed.
If it's a witch hunt, it is being lead by the judge in the case that has granted Judicial Watch discovery. The judge in this case (Judge Sullivan) was appointed by President Bill Clinton.

You were saying something about a witch hunt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies