Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2016, 11:41 AM

17,389 posts, read 9,211,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Perry was/is an idiot, but Texas prospered during his watch. At least we don't re-elect drug-addled criminals like DC did. Look at your own clown show first.
I voted for & against Perry over the years. Plenty of reasons to dislike him, even more if you are a Leftist ... But he is no "idiot". Texas prospered under his leadership, our Exports expanded, he listened to people and he was able to step outside his Party to do good things. I watched him pretty carefully.

I think Perry would probably make a good Secretary of Commerce - it's something he understands well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 12:22 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,589,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Well, my uncle lives in the Dallas area, and he has long been an advocate of Texas secession. Studies have been done, and a quarter of Americans are in favor of their state seceding from the union.

In Texas, that number is a lot higher.

Your idea that it is some tiny fringe minority is naive. A majority of Texas Republicans support secession, and nation-wide, a majority(53%) of people who self-identify as "tea-partiers" also support secession.

1 In 4 Americans Want Their State To Secede From The US | Zero Hedge
So you've got an unusual uncle. Don't we all...

Got any objective sources that show that Texans in general want to secede at higher rates than people from other states? Or that the MAJORITY of Texas Republicans support secession?

Come on.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:31 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,447,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
So you've got an unusual uncle. Don't we all...

Got any objective sources that show that Texans in general want to secede at higher rates than people from other states? Or that the MAJORITY of Texas Republicans support secession?

Come on.
Texas Wants To Secede From America More Than Any Other State | US News

This was back in 2012 when they didn't seem happy the king was elected a 2nd time.

Same talk in CA, a rural vs urban thing:

http://reason.com/archives/2013/09/1...t-is-brewing-i

Old 06-26-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Texas Wants To Secede From America More Than Any Other State | US News

This was back in 2012 when they didn't seem happy the king was elected a 2nd time.

Same talk in CA, a rural vs urban thing:

Why a Secessionist Movement Is Brewing in California - Reason.com

You know what this reminds me of - it reminds me of when people say, "Driving in Texas is so dangerous - more people are killed by drunk drivers in Texas than in ANY OTHER STATE!" They forget that Texas has over 27 million residents - and that per capita, Texas is actually a bit safer than the majority of other states when it comes to fatalities caused by drunk drivers.

One in four Americans (not just Texans - AMERICANS) are in favor of their state seceding.

Every state in the US has submitted a petition for secession to the President.

Exclusive: Angry with Washington, 1 in 4 Americans open to secession | Reuters

White House 'secede' petitions reach 660,000 signatures, 50-state participation | The Daily Caller

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_s..._for_secession

Old 06-26-2016, 12:59 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,447,935 times
Quote:
You know what this reminds me of - it reminds me of when people say, "Driving in Texas is so dangerous - more people are killed by drunk drivers in Texas than in ANY OTHER STATE!" They forget that Texas has over 27 million residents - and that per capita, Texas is actually a bit safer than the majority of other states when it comes to fatalities caused by drunk drivers.

One in four Americans (not just Texans - AMERICANS) are in favor of their state seceding.

Every state in the US has submitted a petition for secession to the President.

Exclusive: Angry with Washington, 1 in 4 Americans open to secession | Reuters

White House 'secede' petitions reach 660,000 signatures, 50-state participation | The Daily Caller

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_s..._for_secession
Sure, that's a good point. But CA has a bunch of people too as does NY and FL but I don't hear as big numbers in wanting succession in NY or FL than TX but perhaps I missed that.

That's a big number, 1 in 4 Americans. We are a divided nation for sure largely thanks to politics/politicians. Though I suppose I'm not surprised given how these clowns are "leading" our nation. I think it's only going to get worse electing the same types in over and over again. History playing out once again.....nothing stays the same forever.....nations eventually split/divide/break off to this/that/the other thing. Just a matter of time I think. The US is no different/anything special in this regard.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:06 PM

952 posts, read 516,951 times
From Brexit to Texist: Texas Secession Movement.

Good luck to ya, but I do have some questions...

1. Are you prepared to help pay for 'the wall' on your northern border?

2. Are you prepared for the economic consequences of losing:
Oil company subsidies
Military bases and their personnel
The Coast Guard
The excess federal assistance you receive over what you pay in

3. Are you prepared to pay for rebuilding after your next flood, hurricane, tornado or drought?

Hope you get a warm welcome from Central America!!

Old 06-26-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Sure, that's a good point. But CA has a bunch of people too as does NY and FL but I don't hear big numbers in wanting succession in NY or FL.
Texans are notoriously independent. I mean, I hate to make generalizations but there's one that's true. But Texas has MILLIONS more residents than New York (27 million to NY's 20 million) and out of all the regions of the country, the NE has the lowest percentage of citizens in favor of secession.

California has a very active secessionist presence, by the way -it's just not nearly as fun for the press to give California negative press as it is to give it to Texas, for whatever reason.
Why a Secessionist Movement Is Brewing in California - Reason.com
It’s secession season again in some of California’s northern counties: Thomas Elias
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascad...dence_movement)

Quote:
That's a big number, 1 in 4 Americans. We are a divided nation for sure largely thanks to politics/politicians. Though I suppose I'm not surprised given how these clowns are "leading" our nation. I think it's only going to get worse electing the same types in over and over again. History playing out once again.....nothing stays the same forever.
I agree wholeheartedly with this.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:11 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,512,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes and that is the reason Texas is being held up as an example, not Alabama or Mississippi. If they were to secede both Texas and the US would lose, as already has been pointed out there are many government subsidized facilities in Texas that would disappear. Strange that a state that benefits enormously from the government hates big government.

The federal government would spend resources to tear it down? Heck, they leave all the good weapons laying around where they sit, when leaving an occupied nation, or territory.

When stuff gets repo'ed, they can get it back for a price, or leave it for the taking.

If what Texans put into the state coffers what they put into the federal coffers, we would be well ahead of the whole USA. Texans pay the federal government, way more than they get back from the federal government in return. The prosperous States, support the states in debt and going deeper in debt......

Old 06-26-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Mexico would reclaim the land shortly after Texas left the Union.

Come & Take It!

Getcha some of dat.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Bingo.

Anyone who actually lives in Texas knows this.
Get away from Austin, Dallas, Houston and the Rio Grande Valley, along the border and it is very popular to be our own nation again.

Texas is the only state, with a clause to take back what is theirs, if at any point, it wasn't working in the people of Texas best interest(lost power to the central government)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies