U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-27-2016, 06:09 PM
 
Location: Florida
22,116 posts, read 9,390,962 times
Reputation: 18046

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
He lied to get votes and now he's reversing a few stances for the General Election to garner more folk from the center. Bait and Switch is what the call it at Trump U.
I really don't think Trump sees it as lying. I think he just says whatever he thinks will work to his advantage. If he hears cheers, then he says it again. If he hears more cheers, then he doubles down. He does not mean most of what he says. He has no moral core and has no idea what he thinks about policy (foreign or domestic) because he's never thought about it. He is not intellectually curious--he doesn't think about issues.

He's always been able to say whatever he wants and never was challenged because he was not running for office, and he was the boss (who signs the paychecks, including his family's)--so why would anyone challenge him?

This is the Art of the Deal. You bs, you fake it, you play poker, you 'lie'. This is how one wins. And that is all Trump has ever cared about--winning. He will say anything. He doesn't mean much of what he says--it just comes out. This is why he changes and shifts positions all the time--he doesn't even remember what he said--and apparently doesn't care really, either. If confronted with what he has said in the past, he just revises it. No big deal (to him).

Anyone who believes he will do what he says he will do (whether or not it is even possible), is in for a big disappointment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-27-2016, 06:14 PM
 
6,406 posts, read 3,426,458 times
Reputation: 10140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Anyone who believes he will do what he says he will do (whether or not it is even possible), is in for a big disappointment.
Which means whether you pick Trump or Clinton - you'll be getting the status quo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2016, 06:22 PM
 
1,071 posts, read 1,589,524 times
Reputation: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Which means whether you pick Trump or Clinton - you'll be getting the status quo.
That's probably a fair statement.

However, it's my opinion that we're much more vulnerable to an economic collapse under Trump.

And yes, I too believe that banning all Muslims is unconstitutional, building a big beautiful wall with the words "Trump" emblazoned on it as he has suggested and then making Mexico pay for it is not going to happen, and mass deporting 12+ million people is not going to happen ...that all three of these Trump promises are unrealistic and not going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2016, 06:43 PM
 
1,300 posts, read 826,111 times
Reputation: 3625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I really don't think Trump sees it as lying. I think he just says whatever he thinks will work to his advantage. If he hears cheers, then he says it again. If he hears more cheers, then he doubles down. He does not mean most of what he says. He has no moral core and has no idea what he thinks about policy (foreign or domestic) because he's never thought about it. He is not intellectually curious--he doesn't think about issues.
That's the problem with Trump. HE doesn't see it as lying, but anyone with a functioning brain SHOULD call him out on lying. You can't make such strong, polarizing statements that you repeated over and over and doubled down on and then now almost completely disavow those statements as if you never said them.

If I were a Trump supporter who voted for him based on those statements and the fact that he said he was a man who doesn't back down and will say what's on his mind no matter how unpopular and un PC it was, I would be pissed right now. The guy who said he wouldn't back down and compromise or mince words is now backing down, compromising his statements and is backing away from alot of what he said.

This guy is a COMPLETE FRAUD AND A LIAR. I never respected him as a candidate because he was such a joke, but now I can't even respect him as a person because he can't even stand by his words and his convictions. Whether or not he believes what he says matters less than the fact that he won the primaries for being uncompromising and unbending and not giving a crap and now he threw that one last piece of him away and that makes him a POS. I really don't know how Trump supporters can look at this guy who was suppose to be the unyielding strongman they fell in love with and see how he is now and continue to support him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2016, 06:49 PM
 
Location: Denver CO
21,016 posts, read 11,641,475 times
Reputation: 31892
He's not softening, he's flip flopping. This is his initial statement - banning ALL Muslim immigration. But he is so accustomed to lying that he doesn't even recognize it when he does it. I think in his mind, whatever he says at any given time is supposed to retroactively change whatever he said in the past that contradicts it, just like the next contrary statement will automatically change this one.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2016, 07:05 PM
 
Location: On a Long Island in NY
7,677 posts, read 8,460,379 times
Reputation: 7029
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopskooper View Post
That's probably a fair statement.

However, it's my opinion that we're much more vulnerable to an economic collapse under Trump.

And yes, I too believe that banning all Muslims is unconstitutional, building a big beautiful wall with the words "Trump" emblazoned on it as he has suggested and then making Mexico pay for it is not going to happen, and mass deporting 12+ million people is not going to happen ...that all three of these Trump promises are unrealistic and not going to happen.
The things is though is that is his ENTIRE campaign. His entire campaign is rooted in appealing to White resentment and White nationalism. Without that he has no campaign.

His supporters are going to be devastated. Their messiah turned on them, he played on their bigotry and ignorance, and threw them under the bus. IMO this was his plan all along. This shows two things: 1) Trump has been in it all along to get Clinton elected and 2) His supporters are naive rubes who can't see past their ignorance, bigotry, and intolerance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2016, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
1,016 posts, read 2,323,798 times
Reputation: 651
I used to think of CNN as an independent news channel compared to many of the other news channels. Lately I've realized just how biased CNN really is. They are so in love with Hillary and hate Trump so much. Look at all of their articles on the front page. Any mention of Clinton is either something informational or positive. Any mention of Trump is negative. They are certainly not trying to hide their liberal bias this election. You ever notice that they constantly put on Republican commentators who are Never Trump type people? Even before Trump's recent screw-ups I have noticed they have been like this the whole year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2016, 07:22 PM
 
9,715 posts, read 13,292,752 times
Reputation: 3318
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
His supporters are going to be devastated. Their messiah turned on them, he played on their bigotry and ignorance, and threw them under the bus. IMO this was his plan all along. This shows two things: 1) Trump has been in it all along to get Clinton elected and 2) His supporters are naive rubes who can't see past their ignorance, bigotry, and intolerance.
His supporters won't even notice. They'll think everyone else is lying to them. They attribute all sorts of things to Trump that he's never even said and deny things he has said.

He has no strong moral core, so what you would be getting would be something akin to a mystery grab-bag. No one would have any idea until he was President exactly what his policies would be.

A lot of his supporters don't care though. They only care that he's a REPUBLICAN (or at least, running as one).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2016, 07:31 PM
 
1,071 posts, read 1,589,524 times
Reputation: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
I used to think of CNN as an independent news channel compared to many of the other news channels. Lately I've realized just how biased CNN really is. They are so in love with Hillary and hate Trump so much. Look at all of their articles on the front page. Any mention of Clinton is either something informational or positive. Any mention of Trump is negative. They are certainly not trying to hide their liberal bias this election. You ever notice that they constantly put on Republican commentators who are Never Trump type people? Even before Trump's recent screw-ups I have noticed they have been like this the whole year.
Like I mentioned, I wasn't trying to shine light as CNN being right or wrong. It could have just as well been Fox News, or any conservative news outlet that was reporting the supposed news item. It was just CNN that I happened to be watching at the time where they claim that their sources are saying that Trump is "re-stating" his stances.

It's not a surprise that he's doing so. I'm sure under Manafort, he's being told that he has to moderate his ridiculous promises that are so appealing to his base. In a general election, it just will not lead him to victory ...something I'm sure that both liberals and conservatives have to agree.

And CNN hiring Corey Lewandowsky ...he is not a Trump-type person? Like I say, I'm impressed how vehemently he's defending Trump in his new role as a CNN commentator. And both Kayleigh McEnany and Katrina Pierson (although she's a Trump campaign employee) are not Trump-type people? They are both on CNN more than I can tolerate sometimes. Katrina was on for a very long segment today on CNN. And Kayleigh always seem to be on in the evenings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2016, 07:38 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
1,016 posts, read 2,323,798 times
Reputation: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopskooper View Post
Like I mentioned, I wasn't trying to shine light as CNN being right or wrong. It could have just as well been Fox News, or any conservative news outlet. It was just CNN that I happened to be watching where they claim that their sources are saying that Trump is re-stating his stances.

It's not a surprise that he's doing so. I'm sure under Manafort, he's being told that he has to moderate his ridiculous promises that are so appealing to his base. In a general election, it just will not lead him to victory ...something I'm sure that both liberals and conservatives have to agree.

And CNN hiring Corey Lewandowsky ...he is not a Trump-type person? Like I say, I'm impressed how vehemently he's defending Trump in his new role as a CNN commentator. And both Kayleigh McEnany and Katrina Pierson (although she's a Trump campaign employee) are not Trump-type people? They are both on CNN more than I can tolerate sometimes. Katrina was on for a very long segment today on CNN. And Kayleigh always seem to be on in the evenings.
Sure, but you always notice how it's in a negative spirit? You never see any of these Trump people having a positive conversation of any kind with any of the CNN anchors. They are always asking "gotcha" questions to them. When a Hillary surrogate is on, the atmosphere of the conversation is much different ... even when they put on the supposedly "independent" anchors. Just observe the difference next time you watch CNN. By the way, I'll be the first to say Fox News is way too biased in the other direction as well ... there are no truly independent news channels anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top