Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 10:09 AM

2,248 posts, read 2,348,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
No one has told me this. I'm a black man, and I can go state with complete confidence that there is no such thing as colorism in the black American community.
I'm also a black man (light brown), and I grew up hearing snide comments about me because of they way I look from darker skinned blacks. I was often called Mexican, "not really black", etc... I also heard the remarks said about dark skinned black women.

You don't speak for the entire African American community and stop speaking in absolutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rnCRh9zM6U

Old 06-27-2016, 10:09 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times
Quote:
Again just take a look at the pics on this page. How many are ACTUALLY light skinned? Like 1 or 2.

An Inside Look at What

So how is there a colorism problem, when dark skinned black people seem to hold majority of the wealth. Are you saying that it swings in dark skinned black people's favor? Of course it doesn't.

Under a very limited domain does colorism exist.

If a black person is a female, and they are low income and they are looking to be a preference for low income black males. Then there is a disparity. And this literally only comes down to dating.

But there is zero disparity when it comes to actual wealth.
That's assuming we adopt your definition of "colorism" as simply being defined by "wealth disparities."

"Wealth" is far too vague of a term because it disregards a series of variables that create it...some of which are influenced by race and others that aren't.

But there have been studies that have shown that historically, when it comes to being hired for certain jobs, living in certain neighborhoods, attending certain colleges etc etc, complexion can and has had an influence by the white majority...and in many cases the black mainstream.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:11 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
I'm also a black man (light brown), and I grew up hearing snide comments about me because of they way I look from darker skinned blacks. I was often called Mexican, "not really black", etc... I also heard the remarks said about dark skinned black women.

You don't speak for the entire African American community and stop speaking in absolutes.

This is them talking about preferences. Which is not an issue.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
That's assuming we adopt your definition of "colorism" as simply being defined by "wealth disparities."

"Wealth" is far too vague of a term because it disregards a series of variables that create it...some of which are influenced by race and others that aren't.

But there have been studies that have shown that historically, when it comes to being hired for certain jobs, living in certain neighborhoods, attending certain colleges etc etc, complexion can and has had an influence by the white majority...and in many cases the black mainstream.
If the disparity is not measured in "wealth" then it's not a problem.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
If the disparity is not measured in "wealth" then it's not a problem.
"wealth" is the end result--not the series of events that preceeded it.

What you're saying is that if I earn $1000 in a month, and a white man or whoever earns $1000 in that same month, then because their is no "disparity" between the two numbers, racism, colorism, sexisim etc etc are automatically discounted from the equation.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
"wealth" is the end result--not the series of events that preceeded it.

What you're saying is that if I earn $1000 in a month, and a white man or whoever earns $1000 in that same month, then because their is no "disparity" between the two numbers, racism, colorism, sexisim etc etc are automatically discounted from the equation.
If you and white people earn $1,000 on average. Then even if there is racism it obviously doesn't matter, or has zero impact. Hence it exist but not a problem.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:19 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
That second photo started with mentality that Jesse has
Not unless Jesse has bought a gun or at the very least urged others to do so. Speaking stridently is not militancy.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
If you and white people earn $1,000 on average. Then even if there is racism it obviously doesn't matter, or has zero impact. Hence it exist but not a problem.
Impact doesn't equate to it being non-existant.

If I lose a dollar by dropping it on the ground without realizing it--it may not have an "impact" but it doesn't mean that I didn't lose it either.

It's one thing to deny that it doesn't exist, and another to say that it doesn't have any meaningful impact.

Either way, there are quite a few qualitative studies and books that have outlined colorism and it's effects within the black community.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:22 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Majority of the black people in prominent positions in corporate America are darker skinned. This isn't even up for debate. Just google "black executives and CEOs" and majority of the wealth is in the hands of darker skinned black people. So one has to ask, "how is this colorism manifested"? It's actually not. The only instance you may see colorism is in government, where lighter skinned blacks are appointed mostly by white politicians to represent black people. But the amount of wealth they control is minuscule, since dark skinned blacks control majority of the wealth in the private sector.

So why do people actually believe that colorism exist? Easy, it's manifested through entertainment. Every example people give when it comes to colorism is almost always in entertainment. And it's a small sector, mostly "hip hop". Majority of the hip hop models are light skinned. But once again, most of these light skinned models are not rich.

Yet dark skinned models are super models with legitimate modeling contracts and credentials. We're talking international super models who control a lot of wealth.

So in the larger economy, there is no such thing as light skinned privilege. It exist in small pocket and they have zero influence. The colorism myth is a fallacy, that has mostly gained some traction via social media. The idea of light skinned and dark skinned doesn't factor into the average black person's decisions or their associations.
Clearly you don't understand what "colorism among blacks" means, since you're describing what might be colorism among whites.

"Colorism among blacks" certainly does not mean "light skinned priviledge." The more I read your posts, the less convinced I am that you are black.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:23 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post

How old are you?

My maternal grandmother was darker than the woman shown on the youtube clip. She was picked on mercilessly due to being dark skinned and was told she was "pretty for a dark skinned girl" quite often. However, being dark skinned back then was also associated with being "smart" for both darkskinned males and females. My grandmother was indeed smart and ended up being more financially successful than her light skinned siblings who tormented her about her color.

I have dark skinned nephews/nieces today. My mom is just as dark as her mother. She never thought she was ugly because she was dark or any less than a lighter skinned person. She grew up in the "black power" era where "black is beautiful" was a common phrase and she wore her "natural" afro and everything and has always been confident in being dark. I wish I were as dark as she is.

So I do think there is a generational divide and I also believe that as a result of the black power movement that more lighter skinned black people were picked on versus dark skinned, however like branh is mentioning, within the black community, neither dark, mid, or light skinned are now seen as any "better" than another. Within greater society we may be discriminated against based on being light/dark but not in general with black Americans.

Childhood teasing is common with everyone. My dad's family is VERY light skinned, many of them look white, my dad and his younger sister are the lightest of their generation and my dad was picked on for being light skin when he was younger (in the 70s) then in the 80s "light skin" became a thing again because of DeBarge and other light skin guy pop stars lol, so he was envogue.

It is rare to find that adult black people make a big deal about someone's skin tone unless they are of the boomer generation or older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies