Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2016, 07:24 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,105,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
By all means, yes. Let's let abortion centers perform surgical procedures on women without having to meet minimum ambulatory surgery center standards. /heavy sarcasm
What??

Minor outpatient surgical procedures are preformed ALL THE TIME in doctors' offices that don't "meet minimum ambulatory center standards"!

All. The. Time.

I had outpatient hand surgery last week in my doctor's office. Should that be illegal? My dad and my grandfather frequently have dermatological procedures done in office (skin cancers removed.) Should that be illegal? How about vasectomies? They're usually done in-office. Outlaw those too??

Come on now. I can understand the "life begins at conception" argument better than this silly "ambulatory surgery center" argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'd love to hear you tell a woman who lost her baby in the third trimester that it was no different than having a cyst removed.

Tell us this, what is the difference between a premature baby in the NICU and one at the same stage of development that has yet to be delivered?
Unless the court struck this down too...last time I checked "viability" was the standard for the legality of an abortion.

I think *most* people agree that a fetus that can breathe and survive independent of the mother is a baby that should be delivered and given up for adoption, if unwanted by the mother. A fetus that cannot survive on its own is at the discretion of the mother until viability.

Extreme arguments and cases aside.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:06 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,465,943 times
#NotOver Campaign

From Abby Johnson who worked in an abortion clinic and know how bad they are.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:12 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,678,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Sorry but you are trying to strip women of a privilege. It is clear the TX law would have shut down most of the Abortion Clinics in TX. This ruling keeps them open thereby providing more women with the service. As it has been pretty well conclusively shown no improvement would have been gained from the TX law and the decision opened more clinics it is clearly a privilege extended to the women of TX.
Abortion is not a privilege.

It is a constitutional right.

"The Court ruled 7–2 that a right to privacy under the Due Process Clause of the 14th Amendment extended to a woman's decision to have an abortion, but that this right must be balanced against the state's two legitimate interests in regulating abortions: protecting women's health and protecting the potentiality of human life.[1] Arguing that these state interests became stronger over the course of a pregnancy, the Court resolved this balancing test by tying state regulation of abortion to the third trimester of pregnancy."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roe_v._Wade

Old 07-01-2016, 08:26 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,467,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
A non-viable fetus is not a baby, it has no free will, no personality and no chance of survival outside of the womb. It is no more a baby than are the millions of embryos that are destroyed every year in IVF clinics, in fact you should go to those clinics and try to keep them from killing babies, maybe they will let you take some home and keep them in your freezer and you could find a surrogate and have them implanted and save their little lives.
Ohh... please tell me about my life support dependent patients who cannot communicate and have no reaction to outside stimulus including pain? "non-viable" and just bust into their skulls and end it, right?

This from someone who is fine with abortions, but your line of thinking is borderline retarded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Better one. Vasectomies. In Patient Hospitalization? Outpatient? Nope, doctor's office. Better have access to a hospital???? Back 30 years ago when my husband had his in a doctor's office, I had to sign a written consent form (WHY?), lecture with me present, and a 24 hour waiting period. Cooling off period? Change his/MY mind? BTW, that lecture was outright INSULTING, but probably even less so for all the hoops women have to go through for abortions, and in some places, even getting contraception.

Maybe this is what we need. Give the Gander the same treatment as the Goose.
Walking into planned parenthood and getting the pill? Or the horror of going to CVS and getting the morning after pill OTC. I need to do more to buy pseudophed.

A lot of medicine has changed in the past 5 years alone, never mind changes in what is required. To insert a special catheter in the hospital where I work I need to do more to ensure patient safety then SCOTUS' ruling about requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
What??

Minor outpatient surgical procedures are preformed ALL THE TIME in doctors' offices that don't "meet minimum ambulatory center standards"!

All. The. Time.

I had outpatient hand surgery last week in my doctor's office. Should that be illegal? My dad and my grandfather frequently have dermatological procedures done in office (skin cancers removed.) Should that be illegal? How about vasectomies? They're usually done in-office. Outlaw those too??

Come on now. I can understand the "life begins at conception" argument better than this silly "ambulatory surgery center" argument.
You. Yeah you... back to high school biology! Now!

Cutting into the dermis to remove a melanoma (which, btw, is now done in many cases in a special procedure suite similar to a surgical suite with special equipment to make sure you get the margins) has about a 0.000001% chance of serious life threatening immediate care needs. 1 in 14 abortions require emergent blood transfusions. That's a really significant risk of complication and one that should require much more in the way of emergent medical equipment and trained personnel.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:41 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,465,943 times
Liberals, This Girl Is In Jail For Aborting Her Newborn. Why Won’t You Defend Her? | TheBlaze.com

Killed her new born right after birth and sentenced to life in prison. If she had aborted just a minute before she would be a liberal cause celib to help.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:45 PM

25,795 posts, read 16,447,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
A non-viable fetus is not a baby, it has no free will, no personality and no chance of survival outside of the womb. It is no more a baby than are the millions of embryos that are destroyed every year in IVF clinics, in fact you should go to those clinics and try to keep them from killing babies, maybe they will let you take some home and keep them in your freezer and you could find a surrogate and have them implanted and save their little lives.
You're 100% sure of this right? Because the doctors who cannot cure a common cold, do not understand what a virus is...tell you? Do you have any idea of what the creator has in mind?

Old 07-01-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post

Cutting into the dermis to remove a melanoma (which, btw, is now done in many cases in a special procedure suite similar to a surgical suite with special equipment to make sure you get the margins) has about a 0.000001% chance of serious life threatening immediate care needs. 1 in 14 abortions require emergent blood transfusions. That's a really significant risk of complication and one that should require much more in the way of emergent medical equipment and trained personnel.
Hmm...even if that were completely true...(your statistic takes into account all abortions--including those that already need to be done in a hospital--those would take place in a hospital regardless of where simple, first trimester abortions take place) So, even if 1 in 14 abortions require a blood transfusion...So? It's a pretty common procedure that can also be done in a doctor's office:

Blood transfusion What you can expect - Mayo Clinic

Blood Transfusion Procedure Guidelines | Before, During & After | American Red Cross

What To Expect During a Blood Transfusion - NHLBI, NIH

Having "trained personnel" isn't quite the same as "ambulatory surgical center"

Old 07-01-2016, 09:01 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,283,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post

Source for the 1 in 14? You should know better than picking numbers out of air on a thread like this.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Liberals, This Girl Is In Jail For Aborting Her Newborn. Why Won’t You Defend Her? | TheBlaze.com

Killed her new born right after birth and sentenced to life in prison. If she had aborted just a minute before she would be a liberal cause celib to help.
I've honestly never heard anyone in real life defend the right to an abortion up until the moment of birth. Never.

I have heard many people agree with the original Roe v Wade decision citing viability. IIRC, polling shows that majority of Americans to be in agreement with this standard.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...post-abc-poll/

Last edited by AfternoonCoffee; 07-01-2016 at 09:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies