Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 07:43 PM

35,067 posts, read 17,014,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Wait, it gets worse - the police referred it to New Jersey Division of Child Protection and Permanency.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
wonderful use of resources. un freaking believable
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Any government atrocity or absurdity continues to grow, as no part of government power ever diminishes. It is an evil institution of unjust power and it knows only how to increase it.
Once my older son was asked by a school psychologist if we had ever done anything that "scared" him (they had a running issue with my son over wearing a tee-shirt from a school where that principal previously worked but that's another story). He told them that their father (me) had "put him on the stairs" and gave him a lecture about being overly rough with his younger brother. What I said was "if you want to pick on anyone he better be your size or bigger." The school psychologist filed a Child Protective Services report against me and my wife despite the fact that we are an extraordinarily stable and reputable family.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:49 PM

50,818 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
My guess is the the County Prosecutor's Office does not remotely have the authority to impose such a mandate on the schools.
That doesn't mean they don't say it.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:52 PM

50,818 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Once my older son was asked by a school psychologist if we had ever done anything that "scared" him (they had a running issue with my son over wearing a tee-shirt from a school where that principal previously worked but that's another story). He told them that their father (me) had "put him on the stairs" and gave him a lecture about being overly rough with his younger brother. What I said was "if you want to pick on anyone he better be your size or bigger." The school psychologist filed a Child Protective Services report against me and my wife despite the fact that we are an extraordinarily stable and reputable family.
Child Protective Services used to drive us nuts. We'd call in case we were sure they'd take, and they wouldn't touch it. We'd call in a very shaky case just to cover ourselves and they hop in the saddle and ride. Totally unpredictable.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Like the cops in NJ don't have anything better to do.

Wait, nobody is protesting that the Brownies need to change their name to something else? Or is that next?
The name of the State of Indiana is insensitive to native Americans.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Gotta raise the BS flag on this one. I can't believe that even what even passes for administration and educators in schools these days would be that moronic. Gotta be satire. Was this from The Onion?
Not necessarily. See Post 61 (link).

Old 06-29-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propulser View Post
Remember this, my freedom-loving friends, to the statist, control-freek, wanna be and will-be tyrant, power and control are POWER and CONTROL. The subject matter, the specifics and particulars are irrelevant - TOTALLY IRRELEVANT. What matters and matters only, is that yet another mechanism for exerting power and control over the people be in place. The penalty, and only the penalty (along with the power and control that goes along with it), are all that matters.
By any chance, have you written a Manifesto?
Propulsor happens to be right. See Post 61.

This is all about weakening the family and traditional, well-functioning institutions.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:26 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
From the linked article:

The increased police involvement follows a May 25 meeting among the Collingswood Police Department, school officials, and representatives from the Camden County Prosecutor's Office, where school officials and police both said they were told to report to police any incidents that could be considered criminal, including what Police Chief Kevin Carey called anything "as minor as a simple name-calling incident that the school would typically handle internally."

This probably also explains the increased number of reported incidents.

Superintendent Scott Oswald estimated that on some occasions over the last month, officers may have been called to as many as five incidents per day in the district of 1,875 students.

I would bet the teachers are not happy about the new procedures, but a teacher could lose their license to teach if they not follow the mandated reporting laws.
It sounds like the city has two problems:

A city prosecutor looking for "make work" activities to expand his little empire

School administrators that are idiots

Old 06-29-2016, 08:35 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
How could the police be sued for telling the school administrators that something a 3rd grader says that doesn't involve violence or threats is their problem not the police department's problem?
Pretty simple really. School refers student to police, police don't refer to protective services. Something happens to child from one parent after incident, other parent sues. Police lose.
Really, any time the police are called now on a child, it goes to protective services because of that chain.

(And really, referring to protective services _is_ the police department saying it is not their problem.)

Old 06-29-2016, 08:59 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I've noticed over the years that some school psychologists are to schools, what Barney Fife was to Mayberry.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:07 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,652,779 times
I fear for the future of this country. I don't know what else to say, there are no words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies