Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 08:04 AM

24,401 posts, read 23,056,554 times

Advertisements

Make the teacher and the school administrators sit in summer school over the summer. They can write on the chalk board: I will not embarrass my community or fail my students again."

Old 06-30-2016, 08:10 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Enough talk about suing, you guys.

As a NJ'ian I can tell you first hand we're a** raped enough with taxes, payouts and boondoggles.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:12 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
From the linked article:

The increased police involvement follows a May 25 meeting among the Collingswood Police Department, school officials, and representatives from the Camden County Prosecutor's Office, where school officials and police both said they were told to report to police any incidents that could be considered criminal, including what Police Chief Kevin Carey called anything "as minor as a simple name-calling incident that the school would typically handle internally."

This probably also explains the increased number of reported incidents.

Superintendent Scott Oswald estimated that on some occasions over the last month, officers may have been called to as many as five incidents per day in the district of 1,875 students.

I would bet the teachers are not happy about the new procedures, but a teacher could lose their license to teach if they not follow the mandated reporting laws.
How is this even remotely considered criminal? And as far as name calling goes, if a third grader calls another kid "a big poopy head" are they coming for that, too?

Old 06-30-2016, 08:13 AM

211 posts, read 113,948 times
Safe to say that discussing "blondies", "crackers" and anything with "chocolate" or "caramel" are also banned snack words?

Old 06-30-2016, 08:19 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times
Even if the kid did mean to say something racist, since when is it ILLEGAL to be a racist????? What possible reason would a police officer have to respond to such a call from a school???

Old 06-30-2016, 08:26 AM

6,228 posts, read 3,607,008 times
There has GOT to be more to this story. This is just too weird and the details are vague. When I saw the thread title I thought maybe some student had brought pot brownies to class.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:28 AM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Even if the kid did mean to say something racist, since when is it ILLEGAL to be a racist????? What possible reason would a police officer have to respond to such a call from a school???
The "inappropriate" discussion of snacks has become a hate crime.

George Orwell had nothing on modern Progressives. I have family in NJ including a niece in elementary school. I pray for her and I'm not even religious.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:58 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
How is this even remotely considered criminal? And as far as name calling goes, if a third grader calls another kid "a big poopy head" are they coming for that, too?
I think the policy in this community is over kill.

I don't know all the rules in NJ, but in CA where my wife is a teacher, teacher's are mandatory reporters. Basically they have taken the decision to report or not to report out of the hands of the teacher. In my wife's district name calling would not be included as something to report, but there are situations that she has had to report where she didn't think there was a real issue. She has also been involved in cases where there were real issues. Is a bruise because they are young kids rough housing or is a bruise because of child abuse? She has also been involved in legal cases where her professional license was at stake based on whether or not she appropriately followed the mandatory reporting rules.

Any teacher involved in such cases has to be thinking about how this is going to look in a legal hearing.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:38 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
What the bleep has happened to this country? This is New Jersey.

"On June 16, police were called to an unlikely scene: an end-of-the-year class party at the William P. Tatem Elementary School in Collingswood. A third grader had made a comment about the brownies being served to the class. After another student exclaimed that the remark was "racist," the school called the Collingswood Police Department, according to the mother of the boy who made the comment. The police officer spoke to the student, who is 9, said the boy's mother, Stacy dos Santos, and local authorities. Dos Santos said that the school overreacted and that her son made a comment about snacks, not skin color."

Why police were called to a South Jersey third-grade class party

Wait, it gets worse - the police referred it to New Jersey Division of Child Protection and Permanency.

Who are these asinine school administrators who call the police for things a third grader says on any subject that may or may not involve some other kid's feelings? Seriously, what the heck is the matter with these people and why do you let them have responsibility for your children?

Who are these apparently bored police who don't tell the school administrators to bleep off when they get these kind of phone calls (things third graders say)?

If I was the parents, I'd sue the school and the police.

I did a CD search on this and did not find another thread on the topic. If it has already been done, I apologize in advance.
What happened to to the country? New Jersey is what happened to the country.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:22 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Once my older son was asked by a school psychologist if we had ever done anything that "scared" him (they had a running issue with my son over wearing a tee-shirt from a school where that principal previously worked but that's another story). He told them that their father (me) had "put him on the stairs" and gave him a lecture about being overly rough with his younger brother. What I said was "if you want to pick on anyone he better be your size or bigger." The school psychologist filed a Child Protective Services report against me and my wife despite the fact that we are an extraordinarily stable and reputable family.
Maybe someone should have an unofficial talk with the shrink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies