Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 11:48 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,084,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Right several other articles now with more detail none of which I had read. Just the article posted by the OP that was brief to say the lease.
Thats why I usually double check links that are cited on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 11:55 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
IMO the OP is misleading. The weapon used by the assailant was not provided. How do you know the person who shot the assailant in the leg "prevented a massacre?" The OP link did not say that and this situation is not similar in any way to the Orlando massacre, which happened INSIDE the club and with an assailant who went to the club specifically to massacre people.

That said, I have nothing against legal gun owners and I'm a legal gun owners as well. But this story doesn't "prove" anything and I have seen similar stories in various local areas and on the news that mirror this one.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:01 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
IMO the OP is misleading. The weapon used by the assailant was not provided. How do you know the person who shot the assailant in the leg "prevented a massacre?" The OP link did not say that and this situation is not similar in any way to the Orlando massacre, which happened INSIDE the club and with an assailant who went to the club specifically to massacre people.

That said, I have nothing against legal gun owners and I'm a legal gun owners as well. But this story doesn't "prove" anything and I have seen similar stories in various local areas and on the news that mirror this one.
The point is "potential" since that is the nonsense currently being tossed around. It also points out the lack of a sensationalist news media when it doesn't fit the narrative.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:05 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyogaH View Post
A CCL holder prevented a potential mass shooting by disabling the deranged shooter by shooting him in the leg. Naturally, only a couple of local news sources are covering this. It kinda deflates the gun control argument when someone with a gun ends up saving lives.

Deputies: Man charged after opening fire, wounding several people at nightclub
In fairness, is every time that there is a shooting at a bar considered national news? I think many people know that some "good guys with guns" and proper training, if they are responsible and all that, aren't a problem. But the whole "it's not getting media coverage" is right wing cherry-picking at best.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:06 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
In fairness, is every time that there is a shooting at a bar considered national news? I think many people know that some "good guys with guns" and proper training, if they are responsible and all that, aren't a problem. But the whole "it's not getting media coverage" is right wing cherry-picking at best.
By "many people," you mean who? I don't think any liberals know that.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

It proves that a man with a Concealed license stopped a man that was illegally carrying a gun from continuing to spray bullets into a crowd of people, and the main stream media did not report on it.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I think in light of the terrorist attack here in Orlando, the media should have picked up on the story. There were similarities, being a night club and a man incandescently spraying bullets into a crowd of people.
I believe they would have broadcast the story if there was not a legal concealed carrier that stopped the incident.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:50 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If the shooter only pulled his gun due to being shot at, I'd still say he COULD be a good guy with a gun.
Im not arguing that he didnt have a right to defend himself.

But people are acting like this was some random guy at the club who saw the shooter, and stopped him, when in reality they had been arguing. When shot at, he returned fire.

This was an argument that escalated into a shooting. Alcohol and guns dont mix.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:51 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,840,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
A tragedy that could have been used cut short?
This made me choke on my tea! Thanks for making my day!

Old 06-30-2016, 12:56 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
No, that isn't what the article says:

"Deputies said 32-year-old Jody Ray Thompson pulled out a gun after getting into an argument with another man and fired several rounds toward a crowd that had gathered out in front of the club.

"His rounds struck 3 victims, and almost struck a fourth victim, who in self-defense, pulled his own weapon and fired, striking Thompson in the leg," Lt. Kevin Bobo said."

The guy who was nearly the 4th victim pulled his gun, not the guy the perp was arguing with.

Good guy with a gun defuses deranged idiot with a gun.
The wording of the article matters.

Quote:
His rounds struck 3 victims, and almost struck a fourth victim, who in self-defense, pulled his own weapon and fired, striking Thompson in the leg," Lt. Kevin Bobo said."

Bobo said the man who shot Thompson has a valid concealed weapons permit, cooperated with investigators, and won’t be facing any charges.

The structure of the sentences insinuates that the man who returned fire was the one who he was arguing with him.

Im again, im not arguing about the right to defend his or her self, im debating the definition of "Good guy with a gun" which usually means a random bystander, Bouncer, law enforcement.

Not the person in the argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies