Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 11:30 PM
mm4 mm4 started this thread

5,711 posts, read 3,978,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Hold the #%#$ing presses! This was NOT a self-driving car! This is (was) a production Model S which apparently has some kind of "auto-pilot" function that the car owner abused! And paid with his life apparently. This entire thread is a willful attempt to deceive through hyperbole. Be ashamed o.p. What, you didn't think the truth would come out eventually? All that said. Why is there an autopilot built into Tesla Model S's? What freaking use is an autopilot to a driver that is paying attention? Cruise control is bad enough. It's Tesla's fault for calling their driver assist system an "autopilot", therefore inviting susceptible (idiot) customers to over rely on it to keep them safe. When and if Positive Train Control is implemented on Amtrack passenger lines do you think engineers will be encouraged to do Sudoku puzzles while their consists are underway? I don't. I am off to find out more about this "autopilot" system but I just thought I would pass on the information re: the FAIL thread the o.p. has us participating in.
You can start here:

_"Self-Driving Tesla Was Involved in Fatal Crash, U.S. Says"_
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/business/self-driving-tesla-fatal-crash-investigation.html

Old 07-02-2016, 09:42 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Hold the #%#$ing presses! This was NOT a self-driving car! This is (was) a production Model S which apparently has some kind of "auto-pilot" function that the car owner abused! And paid with his life apparently. This entire thread is a willful attempt to deceive through hyperbole. Be ashamed o.p. What, you didn't think the truth would come out eventually? All that said. Why is there an autopilot built into Tesla Model S's? What freaking use is an autopilot to a driver that is paying attention? Cruise control is bad enough. It's Tesla's fault for calling their driver assist system an "autopilot", therefore inviting susceptible (idiot) customers to over rely on it to keep them safe. When and if Positive Train Control is implemented on Amtrack passenger lines do you think engineers will be encouraged to do Sudoku puzzles while their consists are underway? I don't. I am off to find out more about this "autopilot" system but I just thought I would pass on the information re: the FAIL thread the o.p. has us participating in.
All that is well known. And Tesla requires a driver to agree that it is a Beta test and that he will remain in active control.

So what?

And I would think the guy was likely speeding as well. Had a history of doing so.

So what?

The car still ran into a large and obvious object which is why the subject is of interest.

On the other hand Tesla claims over 100 million miles under autopilot without such an accident. So it is not a common occurrence.

Positive train control on Amtrak will simply limit max speed at any point. It does not operate the train.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:23 AM
mm4 mm4 started this thread

5,711 posts, read 3,978,721 times
"Richard Henry, 26, who bought a 2015 Model S about nine months ago, uses Autopilot to take him through about 40 miles of freeway driving on each leg of his commute between San Francisco and Mountain View.

"When he started using his car’s Autopilot mode, it had a tendency to lose track of the highway lines and tell him to take control. But in the last few months it has improved more and more. Most days he turns it on and sits with his hands on his knees — ready to take the wheel, he pointed out."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/02/business/joshua-brown-technology-enthusiast-tested-the-limits-of-his-tesla.html

They're out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies